Mustachian sports and gym

I’m totally in. We could make a group in Strava and Freeletics as well.

great!

I signed up for freeletics but I can’t see the free options. I prefer just whatsapp if possible. Will send you a PM and hopefully more people will join!

1 Like

I think the “free” option is to just download their “Freeletics Bodyweight” app and then you can skip the “coach” and try some of the workouts.

1 Like

depends on your goals . for cardio I see no point of gym - why pay to go on a fixed bike or treadmil when you can do outside for free. same with yoga lots of great courses on youtube to do in evenings. if its about strength building again lots of stuff at home- chin up bars, press up hoops etc. Calisthenics exercise will make you a beast. also calisthenics equipment can be made at home cheap and combine with parkour forest roots for rings etc

1 Like

I need the definitely read more about Calisthenics. I basically want to improve my endurance, strength and look (in that order). So I started from short freeletics cardio exercises every day (btw. @mrs_oberland WhatsApp group works very well for motivation :slight_smile: ), but I’ll eventually add weight lifting exercises. I need to check out how to exercise with my dumbells.

1 Like

Btw, samsung has a nice app “samsung health” that allows to have group monitoring for performances etc.

I’m using a Google Fit app for tracking steps and calories (it also gets info from Freeletics and Strava, so I have everything in one place).

+1 for the bodyweight regimen. There is some interesting programs/tips/discussions on Reddit’s Bodyweight sub. Have a look at their wiki too for some programs to follow.

1 Like

You can also find very interesting channels with a lot of training programs in youtube. The one I like most ist the fitness blender channel

My fitness choice is activ fittness.
I chose a fitness center subscription because I also like to do courses (like body pump) and this is something you can only do in a fitness center. For Switzerland they have reasonable prices for what they offer and their subscriptions do not renew themselves automatically every year (you have to renew the actively - in which case you get an extra month for free). Also one of the biggest advantages is that they have a lot of studios around Zurich and you can go wherever you like. So you have a lot of options to find a course that you like or combine fitness with other stuff you are doing.

By the way if anybody is interested in active fitness, they have a referral program – feel free to pm me

1 Like

Freeletics it’s free, meaning you can pick “gods” workout as you will and do them.
If you want the use the coach, that is AI that adjust workout on a week-by-week basis based on your results and your progress, you need to pay.

Also for me the rason why freeletics works and I have sticked to it (more or less, but still more than going to the gym) is that it leaves out the pain of thinking about what I need to do to train (plus, I can train at home, immediately after I feel like it; no more going to the gym and training 30 minutes after you felt like it, which basically means when your motivation is gone).
You follow the coach (after a while you also know the exercises without needing to check the videos) and that’s it. Every week is different from another. So for me it works better than going to the gym and thinking about what I need to do, plan which exercises I will do, thinking what weights I need to use, if last time I did well or not, if I need to increase or decrease the weights, how to split my training, and so on.
But that’s obviously very personal.

How do you use freeletics without the freaking coach? I seems not to be able to do anything without it.

You have to enter training (second button from left in bottom) and then choose see all in workouts or single exercises.

Step 1:

Step 2:

I was trying on their website… Is it the same for you?

I have no idea, I haven’t used website.

Seems like one more! Although currently residing in Brisbane :beach_umbrella:

There is no gym in the world that could fix that :wink:

Every wimp can go to shiny, air conditioned gym and pseudo-pedal on comfy chair watching a sitcom. Paying 1000+ CHF per year for that. With hardly any gains for themselves.

I’ve always thought that mustachianism is not only about deciding which stocks to buy… rather - a broader attitude to life that strives to be simple, efficient, without waste and happy. Workout can be designed to meet all this criteria with virtually zero expense… but cannot - with zero effort.

Perhaps it’s the high standard of living in CH that is turning this forum into discussions about the desperate need to wrap shopping in plastic bags… where to get posh coffee beans… damn, i hope we wont be comparing pricey watches soon! :wink:

Finish work today, go to the park, hijack an empty playground, go to the river and throw some heavy stones to water, whatever… and see if that wouldn’t be a replacement for a gym. Balsy bonus for you if you do it in bad weather!

Some words of wisdom from the man himself to close the rant:

2 Likes

One tip is if you live in Zurich you can do almost anything with ASVZ. But you have to qualify (e.g. being Alumni of a university). Fees are:
Students: Between Free and 340 / year
Employees of universities/FH: 210 / year
University/FH Alumni: 560 / year

They offer more than 120 different sports and you can also do expensive instructor led training’s with ASVZ which would otherwise easily cost you few thousand per year. In my opinion in terms of value this is the best you can get. See here for a list of trainings offered just today:
https://asvz.ch/426-sportfahrplan

I can help with this.

I’ve been doing calisthenics for some years and when I moved to Zurich the first thing I checked was if there were parks to train outside and for free (and there are, at least 2 I can think of).

Since I was not doing sports only for fun and needed to add some resistance to my training, I tried to find the cheapest gym in Zurich too (for me, EVO Fitness - 69chf/month - is perfect, because I can do my bodyweight stuff and other “heavy” exercises).

@1000000CHF you have one park in Zug too:

1 Like

I think I’ll subscribe for a 1-year plan with basefit.ch (it’s actually 499 CHF if you want unlimited access).

It all depends on your priorities, but I don’t believe there is any exercise you can do at home that will be as effective as good old deadlift, squat and bench press - at least when it comes to shaping your body.
The same applies to cardio - why would you prefer to ride a bike for 1,5h instead of 0,5h run to get the same benefits? 1h costs a lot these days, but of course if you hate running it’s definitely worth it :slight_smile:

Mustachian remark:
I’ve just insured myself in CSS (health insurance) and I added 4 CHF/month extra insurance that allows me to get 150 CHF reimbursement for a gym membership (and not only that). Perhaps it’s also provided by other companies.

2 Likes

I like the fixed bike at the gym because: 1) no weather issues 2) I can read an actual book while “biking”

1 Like

Best for me (in Zurich) is the sportabo that gives you access to all swimming pools (indoor and outdoor) for 240 CHF/year. With your pass you’ll also be able to skip the long queues that create in summer at the outdoor pools and your children enter free up to some age.