Mustachian Car: Should I buy gas, EV or hybrid?

Battery swaps are, in a word, stupid. It is super expensive and complicated. Mark my words that this idea will be a big fail.

1 Like

[quote]
My tip is: if you can charge at home, buy an EV. If you can’t, wait until you can, then buy an EV. If you can’t wait, buy a used gas car.[/quote]

^ this. TCO for EV’s are much less (for the first 10 years at least, then you need a battery pack worth of 20k :stuck_out_tongue: ), but they are expensive to buy.

The “Home Charging Initiative” will come in the next 2-3 years in Switzerland, mandating a load management system in every garage, at that point anyone can go and buy an EV. Now it’s only the first 2 people per garage who are lucky :slight_smile: So for @1000000CHF I would drive that Octavia (fix the AC!) until you can charge in your garage - or if you park on the street, do get a garage spot at a time.

Renault has tried this and indeed it was a big fail. You can still buy a Zoé with a “rented” battery though, 100CHF a month, forever. Kinda kills the low-cost-EV myth, though.

1 Like

Thanks @Bojack for you answer.

From what i’ve read, in Norway you can swap your batterie twice for free per month, any additionnal swap is charged 10 euros. With their BAAS you also make sure that you get a brand new batterie anytime you go for a swap. So less stress about the performance of your batterie as it get’s older.

But it must be understood that the swap service is rather intended for large cities, where access to a charger per household may be limited or non-existent. This is what I mean when I say that swaps could be an interesting alternative to tesla supercharger.

I recently saw this video commenting on Nio’s battery swap:

When I look at it, I don’t just consider the convenience for the customer, but the overall cost and complexity of the system.

Think how much it restricts the car’s construction, if the battery has to be easily swappable. Think how much space this “garage” takes. Think about all the batteries in circulation, how many, at a given time, are waiting in the storage for the next customer?

And we are already talking about CATL coming with batteries that you can fast charge in 5 minutes, which is faster than the entire swap procedure. I think as the tech develops, battery swap will look more and more cumbersome.

In the meantime, I’ve learned that my parents want to buy the Mercedes GLC SUV PHEV. My dad thinks:

• Tesla is ugly inside, has a much less premium vibe to it than the Merc
  • he wants to have the convenience to go anywhere he wants without looking for the chargers (for short trips they can charge at home)
  • he thinks the charging infrastructure in Poland will be bad for a long time
  • he thinks Poland will fail to increase electricity supply for the growing number of EVs, so the price per kWh will skyrocket (also induced by the Russian war)
  • he wants to spend the money, because he’s afraid of inflation, that’s why they go for an over the top car

Can’t fault your dad in his thinking. Tesla quality is subpar to all German manufacturers (they are also that much cheaper, though, in their own EV category) and the charging infrastructure is going to be subpar in CEE for a while. In Hungary for instance it’s a catastrophe anywhere you go East of Budapest.

Electricity prices will not skyrocket as Poland is self-sufficient from coal. CO2 values will skyrocket, though, and everyone dies sooner - but that’s another thread. :man_shrugging:

Splurging on a Merc is definitely not mustachian, especially new, but if they need a new car and don’t want a full EV, only the PHEV line remains, which combines the benefits of EVs and ICEs (but also, looking at the other angle, combines the disadvantages as well, but this might be mitigates by cheaper labor in Poland to service the car).