Mustachian Car: Should I buy gas, EV or hybrid?

Makes sense. I usually drive every Saturday to recycling center and supermarket (too much stuff and too heavy and too uphill to ride a bike). From time to time I drive to work (maybe once or twice a month). Sometimes I drive on weekend trips into mountains - maybe once a month or so. And sometimes I drive to Ticino or Italy - maybe two or three times a year. That’s pretty much it. I used to drive more but since about a year my son has a car sickness and he hates car trips now.

In total I drive about 9.5k km/year (or about 800 km per month which is the capacity of my full tank). I’d say I’m a good candidate for a hybrid.

I think I’m gonna buy one when my Octavia will start causing problems.

4 Likes

I had a very similar consideration too, and have a situation like yours.

My car is 10 years old, Skoda Octavia Scout station wagon (Kombi), 2.0 diesel. Mileage 200k
So far this is my best car what I owned till now. No issues, well maintained, super low consumption (5,7 liter / 100 kms).

I made a decision to keep my car running another 200k kms, and not to sell it. I need it mostly for long distances (weekend trips: 80-100 kms, and longer holidays: 700-800 kms +). → EV wouldn’t be an option for me. Hybrid would be probably a bit weaker option for long travels (Toyota Auris Touring Sports 1.8 HSD), and I don’t really use the car for short distances.

In my case the most mustachian option would be to keep my car, maintain it regularly, and hope the good German (VW) technology will let me drive another 6-8 years without any bigger issues.

4 Likes

Very interesting ideas. I have never thought about the distance factor. I always thought that we do have PV and hence an EV would make sense. However, as I’m working remotely for the foreseeable future we also use our car way less for short distances and more for weekend trips and holiday where the EV is maybe not the ideal option. In any case I hope that our car with 160k Km does not break within the next years but it’s a French car (Renault) so maybe not as reliable as the German ones.

Don’t buy a plug-in EV. They are the worst, the battery gets used fast and then you are lugging around 150+kg of component that causes your fuel consumption to increase.
It actually only makes sense if you can charge everyday from a wall socket, which is not an option for you .

I have very similar driving profile than you and went with a Toyota Prius+ , 7 places to drive around kids, and I can dismount the two extra seat in the trunk to get an enormous cargo space (I build my own custom wood floor to replace the foldable trunk seats). Just 5 screws and a safety belt sensor cable to mount or dismount.

My father has an EV, but he is homeowner. The 11 kW charger cost him 800 chf minus 500 chf cantonal subsides = 300 chf.
Just to put things in perspective. Since he already had the 11 kW charging cable, he installed a socket only without cable at 11 kW. Much cheaper.

If you can charge 11 kW nearby from a public station, this does not count as fast charge and does not damage your batteries. During home office days I could easily manage a 4 hour charge session in such 11 kW nearby my flats, we have 10 of them in < 1 km. So even as an apartment dweller, i know I could manage easily an EV with the current infrastructure (thanks to three home office days per week).
If I don’t have yet one, is because there are only crossover and SUV. I would love an electric Seat Alhambra kind of car, but there are none with CCS plug, only the Nissan eNV200 which has the Chademo plug which in Europe will suffer a slow death of chargers. Since CCS become the standard.

4 Likes

You meant a plug-in hybrid/[P]HEV?
All "pure EV"s are plug-in.

But your Prius+ is a hybrid, and I believe a plug-in one at that.
So I am confused as to what are you vouching for. :grin:

1 Like

Good points. So what do you recommend? Gas or non-plug-in hybrid?

Yes I meant a plug in Hybrid.
And no, m’y Prius+ is not Plugin, is like a standard Prius, the “self charging” hybrid as Toyota aberrantly calls them.
They may have done a plug-in hybrid model of the Plus in the IS bu not here

But it works well in cities, less so on highway… I’m getting real consumption of 5.7 lit /100km in Wallis for an holiday with three kids, AC on etc, so it’s really ok.

Driving a Mondeo HEV (no Plug in) I would not recommand any HEV. Sure in the city it is great to drive electric. But you have more weight and by this very often fuel consumption when driving on fuel.

Nowadays its perfectly possible to do shopping, some trips to the mountains and some tuscany visits with an electric car.

I wouldnt buy a Hybrid again (although mine is payed by the company) . Full electric or (used) fuel.

Some time back I pre-orderd a sion from. We will see if the make it to market next year or not. Btw there you will find Alahambra shape @Grog

Well any hybrid outside of a Toyota is a bit of disappointment. The advantage of an hybrid is as well on the lower cantonal taxes usually.

I’m so close to actually preorder it as well ! But while larger, still does not offer three full seat on the second row, which is my criteria number one.
Have you seen the production model reveal yesterday? Looks great.

This could actually be a solutions for @1000000CHF , if you can keep the Skoda and wait a couple of years for the Sono Sion.

1 Like

Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. One more question - should I buy a new one or a used one? And if used one, then how old and how many kilometers driven for optimal price/quality ratio.

We got a great deal right next to our apartment that we bought. A small company there has 5 charging stations. We can use them (the NFC card will arrive this week) for 100 CHF flat per month.

That’s 3 CHF/100km as we are driving ~3300km/month.

4 Likes

I’ve only just seen this thread. What did you end up buying? If nothing yet, I think you need to consider how much per month are you comfortable to spend, including all the costs. It’s hard to judge your personal utility(price) curve.

I would definitely not buy a new gas car. I would also not buy a new hybrid. Both of these options will get increasingly unpopular among the population, and by 2030 nobody will want to buy it. Plus, a hybrid has extra complexity that you don’t want to deal with. If something breaks there, it probably costs a lot to replace.

If you want to buy an EV, at the moment it will cost a lot, because their production is only just ramping up and the demand is insane.

I think the most mustachian option would be to ride that Octavia until it’s 15 years old and then buy an EV in 2025-2026, when prices should in theory calm down a little, and the charging infrastructure improves.

Btw I don’t have a charging station in my garage and it’s a pain. I charge every week in Lidl, I make sure I’m there right before they open so that the charger is not occupied already. It’s annoying as hell. A regular 230 V plug would be sufficient, if you can easily plug it in every night. Don’t need a type-2 charger. A regular plug can charge 2 kWh in 1 hour, or 50 kWh in 1 day. And you won’t use up a whole battery every day.

2 Likes

That’s true, but you still need the plug next to your car.

1 Like

How much do you estimate are your total costs / km?

I feel you. I was in Corse an rented an EV. Quite nice and everything was fine so far. But as you mention: if you don’t have a charger at home, it is quite of a hassle (e.g. waiting time which in a lot of cases can be bridged by shopping etc.).

I picked up yesterday morning my brand new petrol car (Cupra Ateca) and I do absolutely not regret buying a petrol car. In couple of years the situation will definitely improve and then I will switch to an EV as well.

I personally think, it’s too early and Switzerland is not that developed for EVs in big numbers. Imagine 50% of all cars are EVs. Migros, Lidl and all other stores have to ramp up their charging stations, there are not many of them (what I observe).

Everything combined CHF 750 per month or or CHF 0.227 per km.

I support your analysis. Currently looking for a new car myself (will be paid by my employer) which is quiet hard although I have a reasonable budget.

I like to have a rather big car (station wagon) with lots of loading volume. Electric would be appreciated.

My favourite for the moment is skoda superb. Ford Mondeo isnt available anymore. Same for Toyo Avensis. You can have a Passat, 78k list price but driver seat with manual adjustments which isnt a option for me (big difference in height to my GF who is also driving) and the door sounds like a alu can crushing when closing.

Electric like ID4, Skida Eniaq are expensiv (much less discounts for companys) and high lead time.

Maybe I will be able to buy out my actual company car to a reasonable price. Could be interesting when I see the second hand market.

That depends on your personal situation. If you can charge at home, then you’re good to go, regardless of where you live. If you need to go long distance a lot, meaning longer trips than 400 km a day, then the Tesla Supercharger network comes to the rescue. With other brands you also have options, you just need to install a few different apps to always find one on the way.

I’m not sure this is the way to go. For sure what Coop and Migros are offering is laughable. A type-2 charger with 11 kW will take 6 hours to fully charge your car. Considering that a typical grocery shopping session goes for 30 minutes, you’re gonna get 6 kWh in that time, which is maybe 10% of the battery. That’s just too slow. What Lidl has is a DC charger that reaches 30 kW. I spend 40 minutes shopping, which allows me to charge 25% of the battery. That’s not great either, but it’s something. I think 50-60 kW would be a good charging speed during shopping.

But ok, maybe some people who are unlucky could charge in front of their supermarket, but most people surely have a fixed parking spot at home, and that is where most chargers should be.

My tip is: if you can charge at home, buy an EV. If you can’t, wait until you can, then buy an EV. If you can’t wait, buy a used car, because I think new gas cars (including hybrids) will get hit with a depreciation like we haven’t seen yet.

4 Likes

Carrefours in France are now systematically installing 2 DC @ 150 kW and 4 slower AC @ 22 kW

3 Likes

Maybe the battery swap stations from Nio could be a solution, at least an alternative to the tesla supercharger :man_shrugging:. But this is not before 2025… they’ve just installed the first swap station in Germany now.