Interactive Brokers: reports for tax declaration

Yes, last 4 years …

4 Likes

I’ve never used it either for the tax declaration, however, it does provide numbers in both USD and CHF for me (CHF is my account base currency), and it seems to be correctly using the exchange rates at the dividend dates.

I also don’t see the dividend report for 2023 yet in my account, and I’ve already filed my taxes with the reduced activity statement (attached multiple times due to a new ZHprivateTax DA-1 issue).

The official standard US forms (don’t know their numbers) that IB provides have only values in USD. You probably mean Activity or custom reports internal to IB. I also use them to calculate CHF value of how much dividend I have received and how much withholding tax was deducted.

IB provides 4 documents in the section “Tax Forms”

• Form 1042S: That’s the US IRS form, USD-only
  • FX Income Worksheet
  • Common Reporting Standard Report: That’s the UK report, GBP-only
  • Dividend Report: That’s country-neutral and also includes numbers in the account base currency
1 Like

I see. I keep my base currency as USD and only switch to CHF for few days to generate custom reports for the tax declaration.

Using activity report has the risk of being incorrect (eg iirc it does not include withholding refunds).

This is particularly relevant if you have bond investments (eg BND will see refund large part of the withheld taxes, but IB needs to wait to get the data from vanguard before doing it).

IB being late might just be because the data from some providers is missing and processing isn’t done, did you file a ticket.

I have. I have never used anything other than the activity statement for my taxes (Zurich)

1 Like

BND is on ICTax so you don’t have to worry much. Right?

From what I remember BND usually has wrong reporting on ictax, but it’s in your favor.

(Distributions should be split between qualified and not qualified and iirc they weren’t in the past)

Thanks. now I’m more confused. :smiley:

I never received an answer in the support ticket, so I attached the same statement multiple times.

Hi everyone,

Just to ask you if, in your humble opinion, it’s normal to not have anything here ?

Tax declaration is just something that makes me scared everytime…

Just have a VT line on my account with automatic reinvesting dividends.

Thanks.

Sorry, I was reshuffling a bit.

See above.

Hello,

I ask myself about tax declaration and IBKR…
Just gone to my IBKR to check my account statement, and as far as I can see : nothing…

Just one live with VT and automatic dividend reinvesting.

So nothing to declare ?

have you read this post ?

Your question (IBKR, tax report, tax return) was discussed extensively since 2020 at least. You’ll find all your answers here.

1 Like

Yes, but not absolutely clear to me.

Report 2023 is missing or does it show there is nothing to declare in my VaudTax application ?

Hi everyone,

question: how shall I declare the cash available in the IB account and the respective interest?
Shall I add a bank account “InteractiveBrokers”? if so, I don’t have a physical IBAN tho.

how do you deal with it?
thanks

At least in ZHprivateTax you can enter the IBKR account number even though it’s not an IBAN. If an IBAN is required in the tax software you’re using, check what other types of entries are available. Maybe you can select a generic ‘Guthaben’ or ‘Übrige’, which doesn’t require an IBAN.

3 Likes

Don’t rely on the report (or the absence of report) from IBKR to prepare your tax declaration.
Obviously, if you own shares of VT or anything else on 31.12, these must be declared, as well as the corresponding revenues from dividends.
Use ictax.admin.ch as official source of data (end of year price and dividends), for example this link for VT.

I just downloaded my 2022 tax documents from IBKR: None of the 4 documents even list the positions held at the end of the year (that you need to declare in your Swiss tax return).

I’ve never used the “Tax Reports” provided by IBKR but always created my own (though they won’t taxable dividends in accumulating ETFs)…

1 Like