Interactive Brokers for dummies

But for VT at IB, there is withholdingtax 15%?
And I use this value in the column “Beitrag für die Berechnung pauschale Steueranrechnung”, no?

The dividend report is available in the tax section for me already (1042-S is available later this month).

I don’t think it’s similar to dividend accrual, here’s how it showed up when I had BND (it was the 2018 report but showing 2017 adjustment): image

In practice it might have minimal impact depending on your funds, it’s only the part of the distribution which come from bond/interest that might not get withholding which for equity etfs should be small or zero.

There is no such field if I use the official ICTax Valoren Nr…

It’s explained in their knowledge base. Dividend accrual, in basic terms, are when you are entitled to receive a dividend (due to holding stock on a certain “cut-off” date) but is hasn’t been paid out yet. So AFAIU you can safely ignore the accrued amount for taxes (though obviously it would eventually be paid out and then be taxable, maybe in the next tax period.

For Swiss resident personal investors, there will usually be 15% withheld on VT’s distributions, yes.

For taxes you should declare gross dividends, i.e. the full amount before to the withholding of tax (…generally. There is an exception if you only have small dividend/interest income that can’t be refunded by supplementary form DA-1. In this case, you may declare net dividends)

I attach the yearly activity statement. It contains everything the the tax office should want to know.

The dividend report from the tax tab is also convenient.

1. You can just download the csv
  2. Open it in LibreOffice
  3. Delete the first two rows and the rows below the last Dividend Detail
  4. Generate a subtotal (Data Tab) by
    • Groupby Symbol
    • Aggregate with the sum function
    • For the columns GrossInBase and WithholdInBase
  5. Then just use the AutoFilter on the Column DataDiscriminator and Filter by
    • Summary
    • (empty)

Now you have the dividends and withholdings for each etf in chf.

4 Likes

I generate a custom report for the tax office, see file:

7 Likes

FYI I ordered Digital Security Card+. Funnily enough, it came from IBKR in Gotthardstrasse 3, Zug. And the letter with instructions was in German. The card itself is in credit card format, and the buttons need a lot of force to press. But it works.

This is instead of the authentication via the IB Key App?
Is it safer / more convenient / or what?

I never used the IB Key app, so can’t compare. Only have the plastic card with the printed codes. So compared with this method, the digital card has 1 million codes and is protected with a PIN code. It’s like this yellow device from PostFinance. Now, about IB Key, I don’t know how safe it is. Probably as safe as the software on your smartphone? I remember Hedgehog said he uses IB Key on a flashed Android phone with no SIM card and disabled Wi-Fi. I don’t think most people go to these lengths.

1 Like

Maybe you guys can help me out. I don’t get the margin requirements from IBKR at all and the numbers are really confusing. My account:

Net liquiditation value: 34’983
Stocks: 38’965 (VTI)
Cash: -3982
RegT margin: 19’477
Current initial margin: 9’817

As far as I know RegT margin is the amount of equity you need to enter the margin position in the first place. Current initial margin to hold it (intraday) and RegT again to hold it overnight, right?

But why are my margin requirements that high? If the stock market crashes by -50%, I’ll hit my RegT margin band and my stocks will be sold overnight? Despite still having 15.5k in equities?

I think so yes. They can‘t know if it‘ll drop to zero and then they‘ll lose their money.

Isn’t the RegT value moving? If I recall correctly it is 50%*stock value so if vti drops 50% you end up with a lower requirement. I could be wrong though…

2 Likes

You have to check the maintenance margin. Once your “Equity with loan” will go below the maintenance margin the liquidation will start.

1 Like

Thanks. My maintenance margin is 9817. So I would survive a -75% crash.

Where did you order that? I’m currently using SMS as a 2FA but I’d really like to switch to something more secure. In my settings I’m only able to change to the IBKR-Mobile-App as a 2FA option.

You go to User Settings, then SLS. You should see the list of your authentication devices. And then there should be a button. But this should only be available if your portfolio exceeds $500k.

1 Like

Oh okay I didn’t know about the 500k part. In that case I’ll switch to the mobile app until I’m there. Thank you!

The past complaints were about the Java TWS app for professional traders or the WebTrader. The portal looks and feels modern and is indeed easy to use. The only annoyance is that the static frame of the portal is loaded separately from the data (probably done using AJAX), so when it’s slow, you can see all menus but no charts, your account balance is 0, etc, until it loads.

My understanding is that the fees are charged either in your base currency or in the currency of the trade or the exchange. I put USD as my base currency from the beginning, since I do not want to keep any loose CHF, and I only hold USD shares, and I receive dividend in USD, so it makes sense that all is in USD. I convert all CHF to USD, not even a rappen is left.

2 Likes

Hi everyone

I have a question regarding share registry and interactive brokers.

I bought shares via IBKR in a Swiss Real Estate company. In order to attend the general shareholder meeting etc. the company requires for shareholders to be registered in the shareholder registry.
Explanation see here:
https://www.moneyland.ch/en/share-register-definition

One month after I acquired the Shares, I am still not registered. I opened a ticked on IBKR, but I wonder if they know about this rather “Swiss-Specific” requirement.

Does anyone had a similar problem?

Best
Woodman

I think it has been asked before (regadring Swatch (uhrn) and Calida (cld)). It’s not possible to register securities on IBKR.