Inflation is hitting US

Historically higher inflation was generally a killer for growth stocks (e.g. tech stocks), but it wasn’t affecting that much value stocks. Very high inflation is a killer for everything except gold (and perhaps bitcoin) - as the rising costs of inputs, and need to constantly pass higher costs on clients, and the constant push of the employees for higher wages ruins the macroeconomic stability of the economy - look at any scenario of hyperinflation, like Poland in late 80s, Weimar Republic in 20s, or modern Zimbabwe. A sudden rise in inflation is also a big problem for companies because they need to instantly pay higher costs for inputs, but they aren’t prepared for passing these costs on to clients - this obviously takes time and can’t be done overnight. But I doubt we will have really bad inflation. My view is that it will be elevated for some years and this should boost value stocks and handicap growth stocks. In any case, this should be anticipated by investors and thus priced in the market. Probably we will see lower real returns in the coming years.

High inflation sucks especially for the poor who don’t have stock market investments. They usually are in the worst position to negotiate a raise (to catch up with rising prices), and their savings are getting crashed (especially with the zero interest rates on the bank deposits and low returns on government bonds). IMHO, high inflation in combination with low interest rates is a machine to exuberate wealth inequalities.

Another practical impact of inflation is that it will cause USD worth less in CHF. A practical recent example is PLN (Polish zlotys) which was about 4 PLN for 1 CHF a few months ago, but now after a few months of elevated inflation 1 CHF costs 4.5 PLN. I think in the long term similar effect will be with USD, so our investments will be worth less in CHFs. Bad news for those who plan to retire in Switzerland with USD-denominated dividends and capital gains.

PS. I elaborated a bit on inflation and money supply here:

5 Likes

I wish it was that easy. Zimbabwe would be the richest country in the world.

2 Likes

CPI-W now at +7.6% :fire:

2 Likes

Why use CPI-W and not CPI-U (at 6.8% YoY)? That’s less than 1/3rd of the total population. Also, why is inflation hitting wage earners more than, say, self-employed, retired or unemployed people?

It is per se interesting. But for various reasons it is especially interesting IMHO: unions, or workers who are switching jobs or negociating wage hikes, are likely to monitor that metric rather than CPI-U. CPI-W is used for automatic increases in social benefits. And FIRE candidates are often urban wage earners, aren’t they?

1 Like

There are also “softer” (currently), but possibly trailing, indices:

The FED announced that they are accelerating the taper from 15bn to 30bn as to conclude by March 2022 instead of November 2022.

Also, seems like the median FOMC member now expects 3 rate hikes by end of 2022.

So to sum up, despite the inflation numbers they are going to speed up the slowing of the printing press, nothing yet on reducing the money supply.

7 Likes

Interesting: the opinion of Interactive Brokers’ founder on inflation:

2 Likes

Here a good summary in French of inflation and FX situation in Switzerland on RTS (7 min video, also a shortened text summary that can be translated)

My own takeaways:

1. Versus other countries inflation today is moderate in CH at 1.2% thanks to the strong CHF. Higher inflation in other countries will put further upwards pressure on CHF FX rate
  2. Inflation is somewhat a self-fulfilling prophecy. What happens in CH will depend a lot on salary negotiations
  3. There is potential upwards pressure on salaries because many employers are looking to shorten supply chains so cannot negotiate with unions with the same threat of off-shoring as they did in the past
3 Likes

Regarding 1 it depends how far the SNB can (and wants to) let the CHF appreciate given its enormous FX reserves (around 1 trillion CHF currently). Theoretically its own capital could become negative but… hum… Do they want to be in such a situation?

Well, it seems like inflation is finally hitting Switzerland. We’re just at about 3% year on year but we’ve got a massive 0.65% increase month over month, which annualized would be 8%. Without surprise, wood, oil based energy, transportation, used cars, some foods and clothing (women get hit much harder than men, here) are the main culprits.

If you’re eating rice, pizza, pork, sausages, fruits, potatoes and preserved vegetables, you’re fine. While coffee gets hit pretty hard, tea drinkers go mostly unscathed too. If you want to buy a TV or a console, now’s a good time for it. Also, consumer medical costs are going down…

4 Likes

Anecdote: Out of curiosity I completed a Credit Suisse online mortgage calculator last week. It proposed a 12 year fixed rate 2.9%. Much higher than the rates we were talking about 6 months ago

I tried to replicate it today and it gave me 3.05%

4 Likes

But second hand, or one of the few that still in stock, otherwise expect an early delivery by summer 2023 :smiley:

3 Likes

Here is the link to Swiss Federal inflation data in case anyone is interested

Interesting to see that before the 1990s property crash inflation peak was “only” about 6.1% . In other countries like UK it was higher, if I recall

4 Likes

So here we go. Saron up soon….

10 year at over 3 % in some banks.

5 Likes

Clarification question:
A mortgage tracking SARON would not change interest rate until Saron goes above 0 (positive), correct?

2 Likes

Correct. But there are still some fluctuations.

5 Likes

June statistics: +9.1%…

4 Likes

The funny thing is that the US stock market hasn’t reacted negatively to it this time. I’m eager to see what will happen after the next FOMC meeting.

It would react negatively if it expected an enormous rate hike, but apparently it doesn’t expect that…

1 Like