Health (& Dental) Insurance for Kids?

I’m with assura. Please expand.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Heard several stories that you have to pay for medications in advance and then try to get the money back from Assura. Sometimes it takes several months.

Never took “several months” for me, and I never have an issue paying up front (you won’t have to do that for large bills).

1 Like

Yes, but this is not an issue. And it works fine. Honestly now you can even send your receipts through their smartphone app and I’ve gotten my money backs in a matter of 1-2 weeks.

1 Like

I am with Assura and my son is with KPT. After a LOT of comparing I found KPT has the best option for dental and is like 3 Fr more expensive than the cheapest option.

1 Like

For teenagers needing full braces (which is years until treatment finished), I know someone who enrolled with Concordia as the best value

Hi !

I recently had a second child.
About dental insurance, have a look about this. Depending on the contract and the dentist prixe, the insurance will not take into account 100% of the bill !

https://www.bonasavoir.ch/9598-orthodontie-sous-assuree#:~:text=En%20général%2C%20le%20traitement%20dure,pour%20une%20correction%20simple.&text=Comme%20pour%20les%20soins%20dentaires,malformation%20ou%20une%20maladie%20grave).

I also made an insurance analyze (for free) with VZ :
https://www.vermoegenszentrum.ch/conseils/prestations-de-vz/info-analyse-assurances.html

Result after having transferred my contracts in VZ pool (cheaper but same conditions as my initials contracts :

Complementary insurance with Helsana : -10%
Car 1 : - CHF 268.50 per year
Car 2 : - 89.20 per year

Hello everyone, not to create new thread for the same topic, I will ask all my questions here.

Our baby boy was just born this week, a few weeks earlier than anticipated, so I did not subscribe him in to pre natale insurance in time. (Rookie Papa)

Now my insurance broker from Swiss life and Health Insurance which I use for myself and my wife Assura all jumped on me, to insure the baby as fast as it is possible (the lady from Assura even arrived on Saturday evening with documents to sign - which I find a bit too aggressive) with full possible options arriving at ridiculous amounts of 170 CHF - 200 CHF per month of premiums.

It is my first child and to be honest I am trying to pretend that I know what I am doing when in reality I have no clue =))

Can you please share which insurances do you use, (from what I read and the price comparison KPT seems quite good for kids) and what supplemental insurance parts you really use?

Here are my thoughts on below, please share your opinions and judgements:

Franchise 0 - its a no brainer for me at least for first few years.

Free choice if hospitals around Switzerland - does not sell to me as we live in Vaud (so LAMAL will cover all hospitals here) which have CHUV and it is considered top level hospital in the world ranking, so I doubt that there will be a case where they will have to send my kid anywhere else as CHUV can not deal with the problem.

Dental coverage - I agree that it is beneficial to have it before 3 years old to avoid health questioner, but this means i can avoid paying the premiums for the next 2 years 11 month and still enjoy automatic acceptance. @1000000CHF I am in exactly the same situation as you are, after 3 years from your comment did you subscribe to the dental insurance for your kid or you still using all benefits of dual residency? =))

Semi-private and private hospital ward insurance are not usually worth getting for your baby, because Swiss hospitals rarely offer special accommodation for babies. Also after the experience of labor for my wife having just LAMAL with 0 supplemental issuance, I can not imagine what more a person can ask for. The food, room and doctors were state of the art and I just paid 150 CHF on top for getting a private room for her.

Lastly - we are traveling a lot, so the world wide coverage is the only one which makes sense for me after briefly searching on internet and looking at the paper leaflets of Assura with 0 actual experience on the matter.

Please shoot all your thoughts and criticism.
10000000000 thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi !

First, congrats ! I hope everything is fine for your family.

Second : do not be scared by insurance broker. Legally, you have 3 months to sign a health contract. Your baby will be retroactively insured for these 3 months. That said, you have plenty of time to choose.

My situation : 2 boys

Insurance : Helsana with basic complementaries

Semi-private or private is not relevant for babies : that does not exist.

Have a look here : Orthodontie sous-assurée
For dental insurance : the trap is that insurer apply a legal dentist rate which decrease their reimbursment.

KPT (CPT) is good as well as Helsana for this point.

Last : check your PM !

1 Like

Congratulations!

For my kids in Kanton Schaffhausen: 80 CHF/month basic insurance 0 franchise with CSS. Then with Assura complementa extra, Denta plus and Mondia Plus for 28 CHF/month

For our kid (expected in 2 weeks) we received acceptance from SWICA. We did this before birth in case baby will have serious complications so we don’t risk that she won’t get covered.

We got offered per month:

• 106 chf (excess 600)
  • 111 chf (excess 400)
  • 122 chf (excess 200)

This includes basic, completa top and praeventa. We need to upgrade to completa top to ensure we got this approved pre-birth.

Completa top should cover DENTAL TREATMENT AND HYGIENE for 50% of the costs of up to 100 chf and for Orthodontics 50% of costs up to 10k per year until the age of 25.

We also got offered semiprivate as my wife has for the kid but we will pass on this.

2 Likes

Hi all,

Am reviving this topic as I am expecting a newborn to come in c. 1 month and would like to get the insurance prior to its arrival - appreciate any tips / pointers you could share.

Am currently looking into Sympany’s offer (as a provider of my partner) and they offer the following in addition to basic insurance:

Many thanks for any insights for those, who went through this process.

Check out this topic:

1 Like

@s0974748 thanks - I did (probably should have posted there rather than here), but my questions still stand and any help would be appreciated.

See what’s important to you and then check different insurers (comparis.ch; moneyland.ch and then check the different conditions of everyone). Sometimes it makes sense to go with one that you or your wife has since they can offer reductions then.

dental insurance this one is free for the first three years, so a no brainer I guess?

Yes. After the child is 3 they can expect you to have a dentist check up before they give you insurance. There are some conditions that can come up early which could cause them to deny your child this insurance.

general additional cover (Supplementary outpatient insurance benefits | Sympany ) - as I understand this is worth taking pre baby’s birth as would potentially cover in case anything is not going as planned (knock on wood), I could always cancel it after the first year I guess - is that correct?

Honestly form what I read there is nothing there that has anything to do with birth problems. This would be covered by the general insurance. This is mostly for supplemental stuff (alternative medicine, glasses (if it’s a birth condition then should be covered by general insurance), sports,…). Are you going to take advantage of any of it? If so take it.

Same here as with dental: If it’s important to you lock it down now. Otherwise any health problems might cause them to deny you these insurances.

I didn’t get it. Or it was more expensive, I don’t remember.

Basically, I went with the best plan with everything covered for my little dude. I also went with “Privat” instead of general. The price difference was not huge.

I used to say it’s a trap to have these small prices in the beginning, since what parent is actually gonna downgrade his or her child later on when prices increase. But alas, when it came to my (then future) child I caved. In hindsigth I’m glad I did since our little one had and has some health problems.

2 Likes

PM me if you speak french! I have a nice tip.

As stated above: There is no semi-private / private care for babies / kids.

But: It is hard / impossible to get such insurance if you are not 100% healthy later on. And that can be from the first day of someones life. To avoid this, you have to sign in before you start being not 100% healthy (e.g. prenatal) - what is sometimes difficult to time :face_with_monocle:

What I found interesting: CSS is selling “upgrade options” with their supplementary insurances. For a small price, one is allowed to change to the “one higher tier” without the need of having a health questionnaire filled out.
What I did for my kids: Have the lowest supplementary insurance + upgrade option (in sum something like 60 CHF per year)

3 Likes

I did the same as you with the “upgrade option”
I was reading this recently that made me think if it is really useful for children if you need to wait until 20yo to upgrade.

“8.8.the option can be exercised at the earliest on 1 January of
the year following that in which the insured person attains
age 20. Thereafter, it may only be exercised at intervals of
five years (e.g. on 1 January following attainment of age
25, 30, 35)” link

For me, the case was not about “is it useful as a baby / kid”. The answer here is: no.

As mentioned above, there is no semi-private / private care for kids, so exercising the option before ~15-18 years old does not make sens IMO (at what age are you considered “adult” regarding health care?).

To have options is always better then not having options - and I like having options in life in general :wink: . And the price of 12 CHF per year for a child (for just the option), is a price I’m willing to trade in for said option…

1 Like

Hi all - many thanks for your valuable inputs. Certainly helpful and guided further discussions with insurer, appreciate it.