Filling in the DA-1

Cool. In Zurich it is integrated. Hopefully soon it would be integrated in your canton too

Can you explain to me how to fill the DA-1 for Ticino and what did you put in the Assets module ?
I don’t know which value I need to fill. If I need to use this
https://www.ictax.admin.ch/extern/it.html#/security/1780596/20231231
I have bought 42 VUG and 12 VT.

Thanks a lot !

This is how I filled it for one entry:

The information can be found on ictax and you can use a spreadsheet to do the simple calculations (moltiplication, % etc.)

Hi all,

I just reviewed my 2022 tax declaration which was finalised by my canton (Zug) and I noticed that I am not getting any WHT tax credit for my non-Swiss shares & ETFs. As reason, the tax officer wrote: “Formular DA-1: ZusĂ€tzlicher SteuerrĂŒckbehalt Fr. 0, die Titel werden nicht in der Schweiz verwahrt.” which seems to mean that, since these securities are held outside of CH, I am not entitled to a tax refund? These securities are held with DeGiro and IBKR and I cannot find anything online about that being ‘unacceptable’! Am I missing something?

Thanks!

The “ZusĂ€tzlicher SteuerrĂŒckbehalt” is not the same as the US withholding tax. It is an additional 15% that only Swiss brokers must take. So for Swiss brokers, 30% are taken, and you can get 15% back via DA-1 and the other 15% back via RUS (ZusĂ€tzlicher SteuerrĂŒckbehalt).

For foreign brokers there is no “ZusĂ€tzlicher SteuerrĂŒckbehalt”. Only the 15% US withholding tax is taken (if W8-BEN was signed) and this is credited via DA-1. It is logical that RUS is not reimbursed since it was also not subtracted by the broker.

10 Likes

So there is no significant disadvantage in holding US ETFs at a Swiss broker?

Correct, as long as the Swiss broker is an IRS Qualified Intermediary (only those brokers can reduce US WHT from 30% to 15% via W-8BEN).

1 Like

And as long as you are above the 100 CHF threshold :slight_smile:

The CHF 100 minimum only applies to the foreign withholding tax part. For R-US there is no minimum, you always get it back (and the refund also doesn’t depend on your tax rate).

The only disadvantage is that you have to wait a bit until you actually get the refund, and you don’t earn any interest on it.