Filling in the DA-1

This probably refers to the form R-US164, in which case it’s applicable only to stocks/etfs paying distributions, held at a swiss broker and domiciled in the USA

1 Like

I also understand so

2 Likes

Oh that sounds easy, have to try this out at home to see what PDF output I’ll get and if there is a DA-1 form included.

Why don’t you click the box “mit zusätzlichem Steuerrückbehalt USA”? It says “with additional tax withholding USA”? Isn’t that the case?

It’s only if you have a swiss broker (clicking this box when it doesn’t apply seems to be the most common DA-1 rejection)

4 Likes

@Mik34
@nabalzbhf
Thank you very much for your contributions. I couldn’t apply for DA-1 because I didn’t cross the required amount, but I will do it for sure in 2022.

Here is what they told me: To retrieve part of dividend withheld in US for US based funds, bought via IB for example for funds below, you need to choose in Easy Tax:

then you fill out manually like below:

Also she said me that no need to fill out DA-1 manually after all it should come out of Easy Tax at some point, how I haven’t figure out yet.

Oh man, I wish I had seen this before filing it manually. Next time. Thanks!

1 Like

I click this box right?

Chose Aktien/shares and then enter it like that?

DA1c

Then I chose NEIN/no so that the box “mit zusärtzlichem Steuerrückbehalt USA” won’t be selected. This way a DA-1 form is included in the tax declaration. If you chose JA/yes, then you’ll end up with a RUS form which is wrong?

DA-1 for US dividends from US brokers and RUS for US dividends from Swiss brokers?

I got this at the end of my tax declaration (I increased the dividends for this example because otherwise I wouldn’t be above the required 100 CHF). So it actually works!

2 Likes

Yes, I checked mine, I did the same. Will handle in it today. Fingers crossed

2 Likes

Thank you for updating us in the future!

Thanks to this thread I managed to do it right this time. Everything in DA-1 showing now.

Is there anything special required from the IBKR output?

1 Like

Actually, last year I did it for the first time all online (Zurich) and did not have to send anything separately for DA-1. Can someone confirm that I have done right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do you see if you got a refund?

Past years I got a letter in the mailbox 1-2 months after filing and soon after the money was in my account. Haven’t got anything yet for 2021, I only filed end of November but I suddenly got worried that I might have missed something.

1 Like

So it’s not just a reduction in taxes but an actual seperate refund?

1 Like

Yes, I receive money in my bank account a few months later.

2 Likes

it’s the 15% tax that the US withheld on your dividends

2 Likes

I know but I assumed that they will just subtract it from the taxes that you need to pay. An actual refund on your account sounds great, so you know if it worked.

2 Likes

Actually, the DA-1 refund takes a couple of weeks. The processing of the tax declaration takes about a year. (ZH)

1 Like

Yes, since tax year 2020 there is no need to separately print and send DA-1 anymore, if you use ZHprivateTax online. I filed my taxes in February and got the DA-1 refund in June.

2 Likes