Effect of 2020 US presidential election on markets

I don’t understand why you formulate it like this.
If anything, Arizona seems a more likely win than Nevada for Biden (and both at 86% reported).
Is it the steep trend that is “concerning”?

The remaining vote in Nevada is expected to lean Biden while the remaining votes in Arizona are expected to lean Trump.

1 Like

As far as I understand:
You need to register to vote, and there you give your party affiliation (democrat, republican, independent, etc.).
So there are some early estimates about how many republicans and democrats are in a certain districts.
So the estimate right now is that Arizona has more republican outstanding votes and Nevada more democratic ones.

This doesn’t mean they will actually vote according to party, but it’s an indication.

Additionally, there are historic track records for counties. They also enable you to create some estimate about in which direction the remaining vote will tend.

1 Like

Facepalm.

Let’s hope they don’t have to go to the supreme court or we might see some form civil war since the supremes are basically republican (puppets?)

1 Like

Btw did anyone notices how many “wasted” votes could have changed the outcome? I see in Nevada for example:
10000 votes

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the big problem with plurality voting system. Probably most Libertarians would have voted Trump. Unless they REALLY didn’t care for each of the big 2 candidates, it was a bad strategic decision of them to vote for the libertarian candidate.

Now imagine, if each voter could tick more than one candidate. Probably this Jorgensen would get a much higher score. Still 3rd place, but 10% looks much better than 1%.

Trumps lead in Georgia is down to 18500 votes and the remaining votes will lean (heavily) Biden.

Clayton might give +14k to Biden Bibb around +3k and Richmond +5k if the remaining votes are similar to the rest. So Biden seems to be winning Georgia.

The cognitive dissonance is real:

3 Likes

This guy is onto something

Btw you know there are videos like this with democratic voters, too? :wink:

Exactly, while these videos might be entertaining they are also super easy to do.

Go to a large enough rally, interview enough people, have enough “traps” for them and then cut it all together.

I believe people in Europe have the wrong idea who Trump voters really are by always being shown these super-fans.

You would understand it much better by simply spending a day in a small suburb in a red state.

2 Likes

I guess Trump fans are like SVP voters here.

Anyone noticed that swiss reporting of the election was quite bad?

3 examples:

While US media (even Fox) had the clear stance of writing stuff like “President Trump falsely claims to have won the election”, the swiss media totally fell into Trump’s trap.

Example:

On the other hand, I saw at least two newspaper claiming that Trump demanded for the counting of the vote to stop. But he demanded for the absentee ballots that were (legally) allowed to arrive after election not to be accepted.
That doesn’t make it better but is a different thing.

All the media seem to miss the fact that there is some knowledge about the outstanding vote.
What should be…

“Biden is catching up and is expected to continue to do so in Pennsylvania.”

… becomes…

“Biden has been catching up.”

The reporting is missing a lot of context. I feel like if you read swiss media it would still seem like Trump was the favourite to win, while he clearly isn’t anymore.

NZZ gets the facts straight, but the rest is total garbage.

I’m sure there are, but these ones are just too funny.

Trump has been always targeting these people with his rhetoric. Simple words, easy to understand message. That doesn’t mean that only dumb people vote for Trump or that he’s dumb or that he rules in a dumb way. It’s just a strategy that has worked. I’m not even sure if Trump was doing this on purpose, or maybe it was just a fluke.

I’m surprised that the democratic party put Biden. He seems senile to me, lacks flair. Couldn’t they find a second Obama? Sure, Biden probably won anyway, but I feel it could have been easier with a better candidate. Trump had a tough job due to corona. In tough times people want safety, and that’s what the democrats are all about these days.

1 Like

They did found one. It was/is of chinese origin. Clearly (unfortunately?) a bad idea.

You’re aware he suffers from a speech disorder (stutter), right? I actually find it super impressive that he managed to overcome it and become a politician. And it’s a great example for kids and people with disabilities.

1 Like

@trotro I saw the post you deleted. Just a remark: here is how the votes progressed in Michigan. I would like to know how did Biden suddenly gain so many votes when Trump gained none. The spike should happen for both candidates, if they would add a large batch of counted votes. I can’t imagine they would count thousands of votes and all were for Biden. Maybe there is an easy explanation for this, but it just looks funny, no?

Also, it is a bit weird that you are allowed to send your vote per post and it may arrive days after the voting day. How do you know when all votes have arrived? I guess that’s why they say “Stop the Count!”

No, sorry, didn’t know that. Yes, it’s impressive, kind of similar to Musk’s achievement, when he speaks in public, you can see he’s really nervous. But anyway, I’m not a fan of professional politicians, who have not done anything else in their life than talking about what’s right.

At least in one state the law says it should arrive before the 12th.

Check out this statement from Sanders. The man is a future teller :slight_smile: he foretold exactly what is gonna happen.

2 Likes