Effect of 2020 US presidential election on markets

(Some of) the press is right:
It sounds scripted, stilted and somewhat insoncere, as if reading from a teleprompter.
But it is a clear concession that he won‘t be the next president.

For example for what? I guess the previous presidents were role models, they ruled through involvement in military conflicts, meddling in other countries business, killing civilians. No wonder it gave rise to islamic terrorism. Just watch Biden, we will have another conflict in 2021. But he’s so nice and polite… What about Bill Clinton and his 26 flights to Epstein’s island, 5 without secret service detail? And yet Hillary is still his wife and she’s the hero of democrats.

That’s quite the disingenuous picture, and I can’t even read some of the things.
I mean, I agree with the point that Trump didn’t start any bad military conflicts and that he might deserve some (small) praise for that. But he also stoked conflict with China, so he wasn’t quite such a foreign relations role model as you imply.

At least two of the “Wars” that Obama supposedly started were in fact not wars at all:

The US was not directly involved in the civil war in Yemen. But I don’t know enough about the role they play.

The American-led intervention in Iraq (and maybe part of the intervention in Syria) were arguably a good thing. Maybe with hindsight we are wiser. I wouldn’t have blamed Trump for doing the same.

This leaves the Intervention in Libya. Which wasn’t really started by Obama but by NATO and followed the United Nations Security Council Resolution. But I’m unsure if that was a good idea or not. However, it was also not a large military intervention.

And the empty space under Trump is also wrong:

2 Likes

Please don’t fall into “whataboutism”…you can’t deny Trump deserves some judgment, not last for inciting a mob to raid his own parliament…come on

1 Like

Yes, even if he believes the voting has been tampered with, you can see the raid on the capitol as a consequence of his unfounded claims. But you can’t fully blame him for the actions of his fanatic supporters. I just don’t think he was such a bad president compared to a few of his predecessors.

It’s the only president where you can build up a list of lies he said. Some of them can be confirmed by his own statements.

I wonder how you define a bad US president. (US, let’s not mix countries…)

A bad president is one that succumbs to big tech, big oil, big military companies, globalists, the whole war machine, raises taxes, introduces countless new laws, intervenes with the market. Lying or saying bullshit is far on my list…

What about doing thing to enrich him and his family? Where do you put it?

I don’t know. Things like this are bad on a personal level, but on a scale of the country, rather insignificant. Just compare this to raging chaos in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria. The whole Arab Spring caused the refugee crisis in Europe. I’m sure the Americans had a role to play in this.

In the end, what I expect from a country is on one hand: as low taxes as possible, on the other hand: that you can feel safe.

How on earth would you feel safer in the US after this presidency…when not even the parliament is a safe place anymore

1 Like

That’s just demagogy.

In my opinion the US would be a safer place if their taxes were higher and differently spent.

2 Likes

Yes, I meant for things on a personal/private level (at least).
To name but a few: sexual assault(s), insurance fraud, tax evasion, campaign finance violations, bribery etc.

Presidentially, for one, his meeting with Kim (the) Jong-un was admittedly an impressive feat. :grin:

This was also my take on Trump around 2016-2018. I thought he would be a bad president but mainly an ineffective one.

While it’s true that he’s been largely ineffective on a policy level, I think he’s been quite damaging to the political landscape and to the epistemic level of the political discourse.
These are things that weren’t good before and disrupting it might have possibly lead to good outcomes. But it didn’t in the case of Trump.

And I don’t quite see how you can disregard that. Especially what Trump did during the last 2 months was very damaging to the most important democracy in the world.

1 Like

Yes you can, and you should.
The key is to tolerate just the right amount of shit from elected people in power. An then start calling them out, and then throwing them out. If you start making excuses on their behalf, you end up sooner or later becoming a shithole country.

He did worse than succumb to big oil, he succumbed to big coal!

I sincerely believe he does not believe that, he and the whole Republican Party.

Depends what you mean by “fully”.100%, no, but he has a damn big share of the responsibility.

You seem to like him for ideological reasons and you have to yet produced that many facts backing your opinion, besides accusing his predecessors of starting wars… I personally find it hard to believe that so many people, even in Europe, still support this person.

IMHO the biggest setback of these four years has been the brake he put on the already largely insufficient collective efforts to fight climate change. Our children and grandchildren will look back at these times with horror and condemnation and he might very well be a symbol of the current failure.

and also getting out of the Iranian nuclear treaty.

This will make it so much more difficult to make multilateral treaties, since everyone will just suspect the other to get out of it at the first occasion.

1 Like

And he also had Soulemani killed, I would count that as an act of war.

I don’t think it matters what you do and don’t count as war, it matters how many people’s lives were ruined. In the end, this one act did not end up in a full on military conflict. Well, I guess the Iranians were smart enough not to get provoked.

Trump was not my dream president, I was just reacting to suggestion that he should be in jail and just said if that’s the case, then probably a whole list of other leaders should be there too. But sure, I will be labeled as Trump fan. Oh god some topics are hard to discuss…

1 Like