Effect of 2020 US presidential election on markets

I „lost“ some 1500 CHF in daily gains due to those rednecks -.-

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJt3JNPnA2c/?igshid=1gijtcgud6l3c

Lol.

1 Like

Your link doesn’t work. Can you screenshot it? I don’t have an account on instagram.

It seems like a movie. I wonder about Putin’s health. He might get a stroke for too much laughing.

If the US don’t change now the way their election system works I don’t really understand them. I suppose many many people really follow just the stock market. It doesn’t matter what happens in the real world as long as the stock market doesn’t swerve too much.

Also I think it’s kind of weird to see people like Bill Gates being so worried about what happens in Africa and don’t care about their own country. At some point some african will probably tell him to look back on his backjard.

I still believe we are watching a show of the minority though. I just wonder why so many people behind it are doing it. Many people are probably just accepting their fate and following their orders. Imagine if Trump on his last day decides to launch missles against Iran or even Russia. Who is going to push the buttons?

2 Likes

@Cortana 's instagram link

5 Likes

They won’t. They might streamline or align the technical details and their differences between states a bit. But they won’t change the constitution to a nationwide popular vote. With the latter, Trump wouldn’t have had any chance of winning this (and probably many other Republican candidates neither).

Why should he - if he’s been elected due to interference and Russia in the first place? :wink:

Hey mr P. I’m shooting tomorrow. Be ready to answer and hurt my “enemies”.

I don’t think this is going to happen but I think they should start considering some deep reforms.
I was baffled by the extent to which their whole system seems to only be based on customs and traditions…this clearly has huge limitations when someone who doesn’t care about them ends up into power.
It sounds obvious but writing down the rules clearly into law might be a huge first step…

1 Like

Google BDP and Christoph Blocher :smiley:

2 Likes

" From YouGov poll: among Republican voters, 45% approve of the storming of Capitol, 30% think the perpetrators are ‘patriots’, 52% think Biden is at least partly to blame for it, and 85% think it would be inappropriate to remove Trump from office after this."
https://twitter.com/SMerler/status/1347089854958596098

I’m not a scientist so you need to explain me the meaning of “among Republican voters”.

Unclear if this is sarcasm (and if so, frankly why), but maybe the image helps?

No it’s not sarcasm.
It’s that you don’t know how many people were interviewed. The might spew numbers to attrack clicks like any other form of information on internet. Who knows.
At the end of the day it’s a Poll. They can do what they want with the data.

Ah, yes, sure. I thought that came without saying, it’s just a poll. I wouldn’t extrapolate data for 75M people who voted republican two months ago. But I don’t know where this conviction that this is just a small minority comes from.

So many senators, before all of this happened, were happy to go along the crazy ramblings of Donald Trump, refusing to certify election results that anybody with half a brain can see it was lost. They only did it for political calculations, which means they realise there are so many of these people that they need to pander to them. After these 4 years, I don’t know where this optimism comes from. We should probably stop underestimating them, in numbers and influence.

2 Likes

It’s true that we have a tendency to underestimate the support of these movements.
They’re certainly far from being the majority, but they’re a very sizable part of the population and in particular of the politically active population.

They don’t need to, though. States decide how to allocate the electors.

1 Like

Did you check UK? :smiley: They don’t even have a constitution.

2 Likes

Exactly, all these politicians pretending to care about “fraud” are actually more concerned about their next re-election bid (I would bet most of them don’t really think there was “widespread” fraud to begin with, yet they keep saying it).

He finally backtracked and issued a clear concession that he lost the election:

1 Like

He still needs to end up in jail (for many things) after he loses protection.
I guess he just tries to “play nice” to try and avoid it.

“Our incredible journey is only just beginning” - I’m afraid of that ending. :slight_smile:

Edit: LOL! At least he doesn’t lack outside the box thinking.
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/01/07/trump-has-told-aides-recently-that-he-wants-to-pardon-himself-nyt.html?recirc=taboolainternal

1 Like

Yes, finally the President with institutional talk and respect for democracy.

“On an unrelated note: I live in a big bowl of water and my food is sprinkled on me by a giant human hand.”