Covid vaccines - First feedback from people already vaccinated and... what do you think about it?

I still think that we should open everything and let things run its course. But it changes nothing about my trust in science.

I will get it as soon as I can. Similar to others here I am at low risk but I could not live with myself if I caught it and spread it needlessly to others less fortunate than myself.

5 family members had a vaccine and no issues. I also think of all the other non-natural stuff that goes in our bodies: alcohol, tobacco, sweets, deep fried food, additives. I had plenty of hangovers in my time

I read that in the UK people who were sitting on the fence are taking it due to FOMO. Personally I am supportive of the idea of vaccine passports.

1 Like

I know a few of them who took it because they fear that they won‘t be able to go to football matches or travel abroad.

Hello Guys,
I’m happy/I knew this post would have raised a big discussion.
First thanks for the big majority that remained within an adult-type discussion. I do not think insulting is bringing anywere. I also do not think that if someone doesn’t think as the majority is stupid or an anti-science man. If this was the case for Galileo, we would still think that the Earth is the center of the world and the sun is moving around it. Furthermore, I know many people with high or very high scolarization (PD, PhD, MSc in technical/scientific topic) being a bit skeptical. I read various official statistics about medecins that do not want to get vaccinated. In Italy, where all the medical people have been vaccinated already, if I’m not mistaken in many regions there is a big portion (sometime the majority of them, like in Veneto, the region of Venice) that did not want.
I then do not believe all this people to be complitely stupid or without a proper education to judge it.
In CH, statstics say that over 30% of the population still do not want to do it.

On the own statistic I agree with you. I only see part of the reality.
On the other hand, I’m use to publish in peer-review journals and I know exactly how the things are going. Until now all the evaluation of the various EMA, Swissmedic, … are based on self-declared data. The only thing that is checked is the methodology, not the data per se. Any scientist working with lab data here that is publishing in peer-review journals knows perfectly what I’m speaking about. No clue if among the audience here there is anyone with scientific publication experience that can share is thoughts.

Coming back to myself, as many of you said, I will get sooner or later vaccinated because I do not want to get stopped when moving around Europe. I cannot afford it for personal nor for working-related reasons.
Having a quite (the quite is only for my own psicology…) high BMI, I’m actually chategorized in “Group B”, so theoretically in the group that should be already vaccinated now, indipendently from the age band. For this reason I’m nowadays taking sometime to think on the topic.

1 Like

That’s the biggest problem. People will do it to get back their freedom, not to get protected. This is called blackmail

1 Like

Thanks for the valuable personal experience. Appreciated

Very reasonable…

I trust science (I’m a scientist too), but I have not at all trust in the peer-review system, knowing it quite well…

I did not read anywhere that with the vaccin you will not get it and you will not have symptoms. Any reference? Thanks

Please @Cortana try to be serious… I do not think this kind of comments bring anywere. It is also a bit offensive for the folk here, normally composed of highly educated people. Please let’ try to bring the discussion back to a civil level

The vaccines are 95% effective at preventing illness. LongCovid is illness caused by Sars-CoV2.

I don’t think there have any reports from vaccinated people that got longcovid.

The vaccines are likely to prevent infection in the majority of the cases.

Even if it only prevented longcovid in 50% of the cases, then you would still be either crazy or ignorant about longcovid if you don’t take the vaccine.

Hundrets of millions have already taken the vaccines. The risks are either known and low or unknown and extremly, extremly low.

4 Likes

There’s anecdotal report that taking the vaccine may help mitigate long-covid (but I’d take it with a large pinch of salt :slight_smile: )

1 Like

My husband and I will take the vaccine as soon as we can. Unfortunately here in Ticino things are not going as fast as I wish they would.
I think that taking the vaccine is part of my social responsibility, for our future and for the future of our children.

1 Like

They were super fast vaccinating the elderly. I think Ticino has done an outstanding job fighting the pandemic, especially when compared to other cantons.

That’s a very extreme view of the situation. If you look at it from the bright side you can also call it “convergence of personal and public interest”, it happens all the time and I think it’s probably an indispensable underlying mechanism of our developed societies.

4 Likes

I’ll get vaccinated as soon as possible.

One thing that was not mentioned is also that the people that created the vaccine, collected the data, did the research and approved it for use did so with the idea that they would get vaccinated together with their families and friends sooner or later. I know that trust in society tends to be low but I find it difficult to believe that they would all accept dangerous vaccines given to the entire world.

on the other hand I think that it’s going to take a while before vaccinated people will have special rights. It didn’t happen with people that got infected and developed antibodies.

2 Likes

Probably only after everybody has been given the possibility to get a vaccine…we’re pretty far from that point unfortunately.

This would probably have been deemed discriminatory and would also have had very undesirable side effects, like people deliberately trying to get the infection…

Yes, you are right, but now somehow it seems to go so slowly now. I think the whole country could be so much faster, but well… let’s hope for the vaccine soon! Finger crossed.

1 Like

Are you suggesting there is fraud involving trials that involve tens of thousands of people over many countries?

Such large scale crazy conspiracy theories are always false. This is fake moonlanding level stuff.

3 Likes

This. Incredibly this is still not widely understood. The more people are immune, because of infection or vaccination, the higher the selection pressure on the virus. The more people are infected, the higher the rate of mutation. The combination of both is potentially catastrophic.

That is why we must race to herd immunity and that means the vast majority needs to get vaccinated. If too many people are not immune for too long while the virus still widely circulates there is a real risk that it mutates too much, renders vaccinations useless and puts everyone at risk again. Sure, apparently vaccines can be adapted within weeks, but to produce enough of the new vaccines will take some more time, as will actually vaccinate everyone again.

3 Likes