Coronavirus: when do we reach the bottom of the dip?

Can agree that I imagined Cortana to be more of a skinny guy working in a cubicle at UBS. Always overhearing the hottest banking news. :wink:

9 Likes

Not to brag but I’m probably the strongest banker in Switzerland (or at least was before everything closed lol). But yeah, the typical guy in my company is what you are describing.

I wonder how investors felt during the beginning of the financial crisis.

test

SP500 reached it’s peak with 1562 in October 2007. Fell down to 1288 by March 2008 (-18%) and recovered to 1425 in May 2008 (-9%). Only to plummet to 683 within the next 9 months (-56%). All this happened over a span of 1.5 years and we’re just 2 months in currently.

Did everyone think in May 2008 that they reached the bottom 2 months ago?

2 Likes

You could argue that the Lehman brothers collapse was the sparkt that really turned it into a wildfire.
So far it doesn’t look as if governments are going to let the big banks or corporations go bankrupt.

1 Like

Hi Guys,
I am amazed at the situation around.

But I decided to turn my amazement into action, and sold half of my stocks. I need to move them from Degiro to Interactive Brokers and that felt like a good opportunity after such a wonderful month. So I sold iShares MSCI World today and it will take a couple of days to transfer. Scary to transfer such big amounts, but Interactive Brokers is said to be cheaper above 100k.

3 Likes

It’s already cheaper above 40-50k if you do the math.

Definetly I was thinking about this more than 1x. Especially while central banks started to boost even more and give us the feeling “business as usual”
 and we are close to the market as it was a few months ago. This doesn’t make logically sense at all.

Oh that’s great.

Over last 3 years, the account on DeGiro grew way way above this.

It feels sooo strange to click ‘Sell’ on so many shares. As a buy and hold investor.

1 Like

It feels wrong that the market went up by so much, but if you look at the Q1 earnings of many companies they do not look that bad at all.

1 Like

So what do you say about Elon’s statement in the latest Tesla quarterly call?

They should be allowed to stay in the house, and they should not be compelled to leave. But to say that they cannot leave their house, and they will be arrested if they do, this is fascist. This is not democratic. This is not freedom. Give people back their goddamn freedom.

everything people have worked for their whole life is being destroyed in real time

Also, my Google Chrome seems to have an opinion on what this forum is about :wink:

1 Like

Elon might be outspoken, but Tesla rocks! Incredible company. Soon to be in S&P500

They have recorded the 3rd quarter in a row with profit. S&P requires 4. It will be hard to achieve in Q2 2020.

But Elon also said, when asked, that he expects to see full autonomy in select jurisdictions as early as next year. That’s crazy!

Q1 doesn’t show much of the impact tho, only one month for most companies, and for many companies the first two months were great.

For example for Alphabet:

Q1 was in many ways the tale of two quarters. For our advertising business, the first two months of the quarter were strong. In March, we experienced a significant and sudden slowdown in ad revenues.

(https://abc.xyz/investor/static/pdf/2020_Q1_Earnings_Transcript.pdf?cache=712d537)

So what do you say about Elon’s statement in the latest Tesla quarterly call?

They should be allowed to stay in the house, and they should not be compelled to leave. But to say that they cannot leave their house, and they will be arrested if they do, this is fascist . This is not democratic. This is not freedom. Give people back their goddamn freedom.

I say Elon is an idiot. Your neighbor’s right to life trumps your right to freedom. The government can make you stay at home if there’s a risk you spread a disease that will kill someone else. That’s not fascist - it’s literally human rights basics.

I was actually tempted to invest a bit in Tesla before I read that statement. What a moron.

2 Likes

There’s little causal connection between someone leaving his house and killing his neighbors. You don’t kill someone by simply leaving your house and going outside. And the great majority of people is neither symptomatic nor even contagious or intending to harm others, so they won’t kill anyone anyways.

If anything, it’s a lack of social distancing that endangers and kills people.Forcing someone to stay in-house isn’t technically or scientifially necessary to ensure social distancing.

Now, admittedly some people will behave in risky ways when going outside, and social distancing is harder to police if and when people are out and about. But being able to go out and leave one’s house is a basic human right, just as the right to life.

In the end, there needs to be a balancing between these two human rights and freedoms. But restrictions on the one (freedom of movement) should be kept to the absolute minimum that’s necessary to achieve its desired purpose (protecting the lives and health of others).

And societal discussion should be allowed about what’s appropriate or necessary in this balancing act. Calling someone an “idiot” and “moron” for speaking his opinion on the issue and denying him his right to (permissible) opinion is quite fascist.

2 Likes

Alright after today’s tweet that wiped over 10 billion, I might have to agree.

But as they say: easy come, easy go.

What? He is probably the most important person of this century.

“The Great War is the most important war of the century” Woodrow Wilson*

*This quote might be made up.

But yeah maybe he is just crazy. I mean look at his girlfriend :stuck_out_tongue:

You probably didn’t need to sell in order to move to IB. I moved my existing stocks from CornerTrader to IB without selling.

I find it short-sighted to think he didn’t know what effect his words will have. Of course it’s controversial, of course it doesn’t deliver safe PR. He said it anyway. Why? Either he wants to exert pressure to have his factory reopened or speaks in the name of all the small businesses who are going to be hit much more than Tesla, which has large cash reserves.