[COFFEE] Bar fight about woke culture

What you are saying is what was always was said by dominant part of the society: the current order that is advantageous for me is fair and just because it was like this before.

This sounds like the downtown Luzern or Basel I see the morning after a Fasnacht night, although it doesn’t stink so much mid-Winter. But of course Fasnacht is holy and no-one would dare question the necessity of it all.

Instead of sending the Street Parade elsewhere, wouldn’t the easier solution be that you mark the Street Parade in your calendar and avoid going downtown the morning after, there’s 51 other Sundays after all?

Fair points. I guess it does matter to me who participates in the event and for what reasons, other than just the fact of the city getting trashed.

A parade is about promoting/celebrating a certain way of life. Among the people who attend it, there is a disproportionally large share of people who have an excessive number of tattoos, piercings, ear tunnels, nose rings, dyed hair, unconventional hairstyles, sexually provocative attire. In theory, such diversity should be a sign of freedom of expression, be who you want to be, do with your body what you want. But paradoxically, I feel very alienated around people like this. I somehow find it decadent and demoralizing. And yes, it’s probably narrow-minded and stereotypical, but I find there is a high probability, people with these characteristics are more likely to sport a rainbow flag, hammer and sickle logo or a Che Guevara likeness.

1 Like

Or I can just talk about it to other people no? It’s not like my opinion is cut in stone, and I’ve heard all sides of the story. Are you suggesting I should vote on issues without discussing them first? Thanks for the tip on avoiding Zurich, I already do skip the parade each year. For the rest of the year it’s actually a pleasant place to be.

1 Like

wth? “Dominating power”?

We’re in the 21th century, Switzerland was slow but it mostly enshrined gender equality in the late 20th century.

Those coffee discussions are truly veering into territory that makes me regret frequenting this forum.

2 Likes

Same here. In the past I tended to think that people should be able to talk about anything without restriction on the forum as long as they are behaving. However I have to admit that I’am appalled by the low quality of the discussions on this forum lately, especially all the “Bar fight about
” threads. The vibe on the forum is just unwelcoming.

I still want to think about what is the best course going forward, and I don’t want to take any rash decision. But seeing how this is all curently going, I don’t exclude either to close all coffee threads so that the forum’s discussions stay focused on financial topics.

4 Likes

I was thinking that maybe the discord channel would alleviate the problem, and the coffee discussions would go there, but people didn’t want it.

I see your point, and I’ll reconsider posting on non-finance related topics in the future. Sorry if I contributed to the problem. I have been less and less active on the forum for a while, and these polarizing topics reinvigorated my engagement. My posts are a form of thinking out loud, but I guess they can be misinterpreted or blown out of proportion by some.

I will try to calmly express my point of view, as a matter of discussion. I still not sure what you call “woke culture”, some were saying here this is term that “rights”/“conservatives” use to describe things that should compromise “lefts” point of view.

What gets quickly forgotten in this heated discussion, is that “equality” should mean equal rights, not that everyone is the same.

For me it is a question of lack of discrimination. I am strongly against gender discrimination, no matter biological (our discussion above) and psychological arguments, and even less historical and religious, have been brought. There is no evidence that women are less intelligent and responsible than men. Therefore there is no reason for gender discrimination. Discrimination by sexual preferences is even more irrational. Noone should care what consenting adults do with each other.

But the lack of discrimination should go in both directions. If someone would tell my daughter, that she is not allowed to get high school study, my reply would be “FU”. And if someone would tell her that she is not allowed to be a happy housewife with 5 children, because it follows traditional model, my reaction would be also “FU”.

As an anecdotal evidence: I heard that there are higher percentage of girls studying engineering in Iran than in Sweden. Who is discriminated here? The explanation was following. In Iran to be respected, women have to show that they can do a typical masculine job. In Sweden it is not necessary: girls can choose whatever they want and not be labeled as stupid and boring based on their occupation.

2 Likes

and we will stop here. Advocating that one gender gets less rights than the other (even if just a little bit) is at least as appalling as what was inititially critiqued in this thread. That’s certainly not the mindset I want this forum to have.

I am closing the thread, and you will take one week of vacations to think about it.

1 Like