Car rental mustachian style

I used GoMore a few times, had no issues, was happy.

I’ve used GoMore in Zurich and was very happy with the whole experience. Got a nice car for a day trip for around 40.- a day. The owner was nice and it was very easy to do.
You can get 40.- for free with the referral code (I also get 40.-).

I’ve moved recently and in our neighbourhood we can use Carolyn for car rental. They have an association with BMW/Mini EV car and I’ve tried the BMW iX3two times, quite enjoyable.

The price is a bit like Mobility: 4 CHF/h, 0.55 or 0.80 CHF/km depending on the car. For the iX3 and the i4 is 0.80, and for the i3 and the Mini SE is 0.55.

1 Like

How did you find out that they’re available in your neighborhood? Their website doesn’t seem to mention coverage anywhere. Kinda weird.

1 Like

Now that Mobility has also introduced daily packages, they become more attractive for full day rides or holidays, especially if you are member. I am thinking about it, but not sure since I want to move by public transport as much as possible.

You can get an economy, which would be good for couple holidays for 115 CHF/day, including fuel for 100 km, which seems pretty competitive (highest tariff with mobility easy - as member or plus you get it for 75 CHF, but you have to shoot money up front (1250 CHF for member, of which 1000 CHF is a share which you can get back) or a monthly abo (10 CHF / month).

(BTW with mobility you can get discounts at Hertz for more classic rental)

3 Likes

In my case, I am in a new neighbourhood in development where they promote eco-responsible building and infrastructure. Everything is in beyond the Minergie norm (as said by them). Every building has some domotique services for heat, light, etc. and every park place has an electric station.

In order to promote the eco-mobility, they offer 5 years of cantonal public bus subscription per apartment (and not per person) and offer a deal with Carolyn.

So I’ve got all of this information via mail with the landlord. Otherwise I wouldn’t know about it.

I think that you have to contact Carolyn in order to know if you can use their services as their website isn’t useful. Sorry.

5 Likes

How is it competitive with the rest of the rental car options (usually well below 100/day)?

It is including fuel.

100km per day of rental if I understood it right.

Ok that’s ~10chf extra off, not sure it makes it much more competitive. :grin:

But nevertheless, a good thing for the mobility community if they become more attractive, I’d rather support them than Hertz and the likes.

You are too kind. I’ve seen better sites on geocities :slight_smile:

1 Like

I try to rent electric cars whenever possible. I spend more on rent but I save A LOT on fuel even if I charge on the Autobahn. And it’s more fun to drive.l

I am always tempted by electric cars, but end up renting standard cars. I fear to not find chargers around and/or to have to plan my trip solely around the fact of having to find a charger.
How do you manage this challenge?
And what about the return process, do you have to charge the car before hand or you got to park it at some specific charger and get billed for it?

It can be a pain in the ass, depending on where and how much you drive.

I did a road trip through Norway (the most “electrified” country probably), and a few times I was regretting my decision to take a “no extra cost EV” offer from the agency.
Mostly because - yes there were chargers in most areas (Norway not being so densely populated), but not enough of them are very powerful/fast.
So you need to spend 1h+ in random 5-house settlements with nothing to do. :slight_smile:

But that is quite a specific example, it can be easy if you drive 200km in 5 days in populated areas.

Re. return - it didn’t have to be charged up in my case.

1 Like

There are two approaches to charging. Charging for free at a pretty slow charger (mostly?courtesy of a restaurant, LIDL, 
) gratis-laden.com - Elektroauto kostenlos laden

Or charging on a supercharger and pay around 12-15 CHF per 80% (and wait 20 minutes)

First option: you usually need to bring a type3 cable, second option: cable is installed at the supercharger

In my last holiday, the villages with 50 inhabitants all had chargers, the next gas station would have been a couple of km away. I had no type 3 cable, as hertz did not include them to their cheapest e-Model. Europcar said that they always include one. Maybe it’s best to ask beforehand.

Hertz wanted the car 80% charged back. Europcar said, they don’t care.

One thing I really didn’t think before my first trip. When going to the mountains, Fossil cars use Gas going up AND down. Electric cars recover quite a lot of energy when going downhill.

Long story short: either you plan a bit when and where you charge your car (while shopping, swimming, eating) or you drive to the fastest supercharger and wait half an hour

3 Likes

For Switzerland:
If the car is mostly standing during your trip, Mobility may be an option. I don’t think it’s competitive when you’re driving a lot.

In any case, if you you need a car for a week or so, check alao on a comparison site, I’ve found cars for 320 CHF for 7 days from Zurich Airport. Depends on the season of course.

For Abroad:
You can save around 50% on a rental when renting from local companies that you find on rental cars com or similar instead of Hertz or Europcar. We’ve used Drivalia in Italy, we got a nice car and they were as professional as the big ones.

4 Likes

I am Swiss resident living in Geneva with Swiss driving license and I need to rent a car for a 3 days weekend in France.
I am aiming to French ski resort so I’ll need winter tire which I think all rental cars are equiped with.

I’m about to rent a car at Geneva airport booked with the websites mention above. Any better location agency compare to the one at the airport ?

Rental at airport is generally more expensive than downtown, I don’t know if it is also the case in Geneva.
At GVA airport, you could also consider renting on the French side and get French prices.

1 Like

Just don’t drive in Switzerland with the french car :smile:

Yeah I am suppose to pick up gears in France I won’t be able to move by public transport to France.
That’s why I am looking to rent in Switzerland and not France.
I will search other rental agency near Geneva.

In my experience, this is not true. At the airports they have lots of car so in low season the prices might be (and in my experience usually are) lower, compared to downtown. Also the downtown offices often have inconvenient opening hours.

Recently I have been using https://www.economybookings.com where I found lower prices compared to the brokers I used in the past (like happycar.ch). They also give a cashback reward through Monerio.