Car insurance advice

I will have to change my car insure, I’ll try to reduce as much as possible, coming from Zurich probably going to Smile Direct. But my car is still less than 2 years old (yes I know a new car, don’t hit me, I made my calculations thus before buying, in a huge Spreadsheet with even some Tesla in it for the fun of comparing) and it’s still under warranty for another 2 years so I will probably not remove the Full Casco (not sure how to translate).

However I have seen that the bonus protection is costly, it’s 100frs per year for both the protection on RC and casco. My question is, if I remove it and I have a case that will increase my insurance bill, how difficult is it to get another insurance to let you in? Alternatively can I insure the car under my wife name to get a new fresh offer with minimum bonus if anything happen? We are both driving 50/50 more or less. And if I do take the insurance under her name, should I change the registration of the vehicle under her name as well or it doesn’t matter?

Side question, a bit more tricky, I’ll use the Neon offer to do the insurance. If in a couple of year we change the insurance to my wife, will she be able to get the offer as well for the same car from her Neon account (assuming the offer is still valid)?

Hopefully nothing will happen like usual and we will save a lot of money, but just to be ready just in case.

They will let you in but at a higher percentage/risk. That “did you have an accident in the last 5 years” question or the “did you have to hand in your license in the last 5 years” kills most good deals.

Did you compare the offers using comparis.ch? for car insurances they’re somewhat fair (unlike removing the best health care insurances…)

You probably will need to change the registration too, accidents are afaik recorded by license plate number.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments. That’s really the problem with insurance and it’s made like that on purpose, every little thing you add cost much less than what you would loose if you occur to have a case not covered by your policy, even spread on 10 or 25 years sometimes. But when you add up all these little sum for extra coverage, you end up with much more in total and then over 10 years it might barely worth it if you have only one of these case not covered.

I mean, if you unselect every little extra that cover only cases up to 2000 to 3000frs, you might save 200 to 400frs per year, so if in 10 years something happen and you have to pay for 3000 or 4000frs, you are more or less break even, if nothing happen, that is in more cases most likely, you will have saved 3000 to 4000frs. At the end it’s more or less like LAMal, either you take 300frs of quote-part, either 2500frs, in between you will more likely not save anything what ever is happening.

The only thing without bonus protection is that in case something happen (scare, the core business of insurer), you might end up spending some time to get a new offer and change some registration. I’m still not sure about it. I’ll ask my wife but I know already her answer…

I’m looking for car insurance advice because I’ll change mine by the end of the year. I found some low cost providers such as SMILE and SIMPEGO. Do you have any other suggestion or feedbacks to optimize it?
Merci! :red_car:

Helvetia can have good offers. My premiums are on par with the small assessment I’ve done on SMILE’s website.

Thank you!
I’ll check Helvetia… I also run a small comparis.ch and AXA has 200 chf off until November.

1 Like

Is it common that insurance companies require taking Vollkasko if one wants the parking damage coverage?
I wanted to remove the Vollkasko and keep just the Teilkasko for mine (now 6 y/o and off leasing) but still have the parking damage cover since I park in the blue zone w/out the garage.
But my provider (Axa) told me Vollkasko is a prerequisite for that.

I somehow suspect. :grin:
Opinions?

Pretty normal, I wouldnˋt know an insurance that doesnˋt bundle it with the Vollkasko

1 Like

Use vz insurance comparative services. This is free.

They have a contract with Zurich and reduced my premium by 15% immediately after their analysis. When contract end, they will propose you their insurance. You are free to to accept or take another of your choice.

My personal earnings with them :

2 cars : 350 CHF per year, more to come when contracts end.
RC menage : 100 per year better coverage
Child health insurance : 10% on complementary insurance

https://www.vermoegenszentrum.ch/particuliers/prevoyance-et-assurances/action-analyse-assurances.html

1 Like

Does anybody else have any experiences with insurance brokers? Apart from the ones mentioned above, I have found for example this: Insurance broker - Optimum. Any feedback on those or others appreciated.

1 Like

reusing this forum here: can you somehow claim two incidents within a year and keep your bonus protection?

Background: in March this year, my SO has hit a pole by coming out of parking a bit rushed. Shit happens. New front bumper, costs 2500, covered by “collision” in Casco, deductible 1000 CHF, all repaired.

My insurance’s renewal was in July and now I’ve slightly done a similar thing… reversed into a concrete pole while parking and it doesn’t look good (as in: the pole was roughly textured concrete so it instantly scratched into the paint surface at multiple small spots, also made a little dent in the plastic part underneath). Certainly not just a paint job but probably a replacement rear bumper.

Can I claim twice in 1 calendar, but two financial years or how does this work? Can they cancel my bonus protection next year around? I’m with Elvia (Allianz’s digital daughter) if that matters.

Before I call them I wanted to ask around… I’m a lil afraid that even by asking for it they will record the incident against me :see_no_evil:

I don’t have any experience in this, but from what I understand, your insurance is covering you for all the incidents you can have in a define period, for exemple from 01.01.2020 to 31.12.2020.

If you had an incident in 2020, and another in 2021, you will have to pay your deductible in 2020 and in 2021. So will it be if you are covered from 01.06.2020 to 30.05.2021. If you had an incident on 30.05.2021 and another on 01.06.2021, you will have to pay twice your deductible on the “same” year, but for two different period of covered.

I’m sure the deductible is the same regardless of how many times I claim.
It seems from the dates that this year I’m having another “free shot” with the bonus protection, but that’s the thing I wanted to confirm with those of you that know better :slight_smile:

If one loses the bonus level, the payments are racked up for 3 years which makes the whole claim process pointless in the first place. So it’s either with bonus protection or I’d rather pay it out of pocket :slight_smile:

When I got my new car, I’ve had two separate yet somewhat related events on the same day. They had to be registered as two separate claims and my bonus protection applied, meaning that my premium and deductible were unaffected. No idea how a third claim would be handled, though.

As far as I know, waiting for a new calendar year to fill your claim doesn’t bear any advantage in this situation.

Thanks. I guess I’ll have to ask the company then. Wish me luck :wink:

1 Like

For my insurane that would mean that the bonus protection also gets renewed in July. But better ask in this case.

So, I asked the company over the phone directly. She was not sure(??) when the bonus protection would apply, but she said she thinks(!) it has a block of 12 months after the last claim, which was only this April, so I need to wait at least 7 more months to claim.

Funny enough, she did recommend me that I claim the current damage next April, evem though I think that’s slightly against general insurance guidelines… :slight_smile:

I’m gonna have to read the fine print again, it seems…

LOL, that’s recorded on the call recording system, though :wink:

The fine print says the observation period is start date -3 months and takes 12 months… so that means my insurance that runs from 1st July yearly would have an observation period from 1st April - hence the statement from the agent that I should report it next April.

I guess I’ll ask for a repair quote from a garage instead.
Or just play stupid and claim next april, as this was said to me over the phone :wink:

By next April you’ll have for sure forgotten… :joy:

1 Like

Probably the best thing to do anyway. Winter is coming and with the salt on the streets the broken area might start to rust (if it isn’t plastic).