Buying crypto for Swiss residents [2023]

Not sure about it as you have to add also the network fees and they are quite high now with Ordinals

Let’s try to formulate it differently. Where can I see network fees for BTC and ETH in an easily understandable form, preferably with the history?

This should help us to see if there are intrinsic factors or exchanges are ripping us off.

Not sure about what you’re asking, you can find the history of Bitcoin and Ethereum fees on internet (and they are dynamic).

On Coinmetro they show you how much you’ll receive.
I just tried with 10€ (but didn’t confirm so don’t know if it goes through), here’s the breakdown

So it costs 0.000001 btc

Seems like there’s no network fees but you might wait for a long time as Bitcoin, like Ethereum, are not scalable and congested at the moment (thx Ordinals and Pepe)

1 Like

This may have been a temporary measure due to the network congestion that Binance also suffered last weekend.

Kraken seems still to be the solution :smiley:

Also BTC_MEDIANTXFEESUSD and ETH_MEDIANTXFEESUSD and many similar ones in TradingView.

Do I understand correctly that

You mean wallet that is created inside their app, not to any address I want?

Easy mode is their own app (bluewallet fork) but you can also use your own wallet. The only requirement for own wallet is to be able to initial sign a tx (kyc)

1 Like

Let’s talk about cash deposit options and fees.

Kraken: CHF, EUR. Free.
Gemini: EUR, free.
Bitfinex: EUR via an external service, 0.5 EUR.
Coinmetro: EUR, 1 EUR.

EUR deposits are also possible with crypto.com and Coinbase, but I don’t see how I can do anything useful with them further.

According to my research, Lykke has 0 deposit and withdrawal fees for CHF. Can anyone confirm?

Bitpanda has CHF deposits and withdrawal. And BTC withdrawal fees seems to be low. Anyone using it? What are the CHF deposit and withdrawal fees?

Thanks everyone

From my side, I can recommend an automated anonymous straight to the wallet crypto swap service

Exchange fees are 0.5% float (or 1% fixed which I don’t use) + network fees which are usually lower than withdrawal fees from exchanges. I send USDT on SOL from mobile Exodus wallet.

Kraken and Bitfinex allow free Bitcoin deposits and withdrawals on the Lightning network. Does any other exchange provides this option?

Yes, I used them in the past and did not pay any deposit / withdrawal fees. But they have relatively large spreads and that’s how they make money. For instance, this is the current USDC/USD orderbook:

For smaller amounts, this corresponds to a 0.14% fee, which is pretty competitive. For larger amounts, Kraken may be better.

Thank you! I have estimated 0.055% spread now on BTC/CHF spread on Kraken. Could you please estimate spreads for BTC/CHF and XLM/CHF on Lykke? I might buy XLM to input funds into the crypto environment.

What about Lightning Network, is it supported?

BTC/CHF buy is currently 0.17% lower than the market rate. For XLM/CHF, it was 0.5% when I checked.

Does not look like Lightning is supported, they do not mention it on the deposit page and only mention “please use the following address on the Bitcoin blockchain network.”. L2s like Polygon are sadly also not supported, which is one of the main reasons to go with Kraken for me (as bridging can be pretty expensive when gas fees are high).

https://www.bitstamp.net/fee-schedule/

Do I understand correctly that bitstamp offers 0 trading fees for low turnovers, free EUR SEPA deposits and EUR crypto pairs? That’s extremely advantageous conditions, I wonder why nobody had commented on it before (or did I miss something)?

By the way, I tried Coinmetro: made 2 BTC withdrawals, in both cases fees were below 1E-5 BTC. I really wonder how can they offer it…

Oh yeah Bitstamp is also a good regulated exchange.

About Coinmetro, ask them on telegram or twitter

1 Like

Bitstamp was more expensive before (0.5% fees for lower volumes). Seems they noticed that they are pricing themselves out of the market.

But I started with them too in 2013, because they seemed reliable and accessible. I switched to Kraken later, because they sell more products.

I think they got bought by some Korean crypto company some years ago. Also if I remember correctly they provided SQ with the backend for crypto trading (with crazy fees).

That’s my misunderstanding, actually. The withdrawal fees for anything except ETH and ETH tokens is variable 0.15% fee, as indicated in their fees page. So, it is great for small amounts, which is my case.

I’m at my monthly BTC DCA. Some news about fees and prices for buy and transfer? Kraken has lower the fees??

Which platform have you used so far? If you’re doing DCA on BTC, why not use your usual platform?

Revolut just lowered the fees to 0.99% for premium/metal.