I’m not sure this category “life hacking” is the right one. We actually don’t have a category dedicated to retirement or preparation for retirement. @_MP should we create one?
Anyway I’m maybe 5 years away of quitting my job and starting some kind of retired life mixed with some occasional job I think. Before giving up a fix salary, what would be the thing to check/to do in order to eventually adjust your fire date?
Classic example wuld be retiring, quitting your job and discovering that you need a 10k teeth job. That would have been nice to catch before retiring
So I will try to compile a list based on ideas that come up. Difficult to find truly expensive things that may warrant a delay of 3+ months,
some things may be easily handled by fat FIRE. I’m going for lean FIRE so any idea is welcome: of course is not FIRE; I wil not be FI.
- health check-up (entire family!), try to see if there is any cancer somewhere or whatever
- teeth check-up, radiography, fixing up everything before quitting (entire family!)
- check any furniture that needs replacement? usually not that expensive
- car? getting your car through a technical vehicle inspection, so that you are ok for a couple of years hopefully (including tyres etc)?
- computer/IT stuff if very old etc? just work one month more and build up that uber PC for gaming during FIRE
- Clothes/shoes/biking/hiking/sport equipment (we are retired now, gotta enjoy it ) could amount to peanuts but maybe worth to work a month more to substitute stuff for a couple of thousands francs.
- passport and ID card for entire family, worth checking if you they are expiring soon, almost 1000 chf for 4-5 people
- well I guess there are tons of things to check and that may breaks. No idea what would make sense to check before giving up a regular salary (since I’m renting and will be renting)