Best Swiss Portfolio Tracker

Hello all,

I’m looking to have a centralized tool/app that could give me my portfolio performance based on all my assets - which currently are:

• VIAC
  • Finpension
  • IB (just VT)
  • Degiro
  • Some crypto

I’ve tried Portfolio performance but I’m struggling to load all the info.

Does anyone have any suggestion based on my assets above?
Do you manage it on Excel/Google Sheets?

Thanks!

1 Like

There are few other threads on the same topic.
Most users here track it with Excel/google spreadsheet.

I use Portfolio Performance and have more or less the “same” assets as you:

• VIAC (4 accounts)
  • Finpension
  • IB (VT and other securities)
  • Crypto (had in the past and tracked it there)

Except Degiro, which I don’t use.

What are you struggling with exactly?

1 Like

How do you treat VIAC in PP? Do you really upload every single transaction report (PDF) or did you choose a simplified way of including VIAC? I struggled with the former and am not convinced of the latter.

Yes, that’s exactly what I do. But you don’t need to upload them one-by-one, you can import all of them at once. You could even do it only once a year, I do it monthly as I anyway update my finances once a month. I spend maybe 5 minutes to download all the transactions for the 4 portfolios and import them into Portfolio Performance afterwards.
The importer works really good and if there ever is an issue due to a new format from VIAC, it took the devs 2-3 weeks to fix it in most cases.

Here a snip for one of the portfolios from Portfolio Performance:

and does your VIAC balance in VIAC really matches with what you get from PP?
How do you see those funds market price being updated? I couldn’t get that

Yes, I make a reconciliation once a year and get some differences of up to 5 Rappen (rounding errors), which I correct then by adjusting one of my payments.

I use Yahoo Finance, e.g. for the CSIF SPI Extra.

1. Go to Yahoo Finance and enter the ISIN (e.g. CH0110869143)

Get the ticker as marked in the above screenshot.
  2. In Portfolio Performance add a new security and search for the ticker from above (0P0000O2XU.SW):
  3. Add some other attributes to the security if needed (e.g. asset class, ISIN, etc.) and save.
  4. Done. The market price will now update automatically and you have the whole history incl. indicators where you bought/sold the security.
4 Likes

Huh. Maybe I should take a closer look at this software. I was putting it away mostly because I thought there are complications with fetching prices for all these swiss funds…

I think the fact that it requires so much effort to have it up and running to be useful is what keeps people away of using it (like myself)
But indeed if we can capture such analysis on the swiss funds used by VIAC or Finpension, then it’s a must

Nicely put together “guide”, @Burningstone :blush:

So, I have my portfolio summary in a quite simple table on Google Sheets, which is working fine for me for at least 6-7 years now. (I do recommend considering such a solution too, @RoadToMustachian . Of course “features” are, well, minimal compared to Port. Perf. And there are more manual things to do :face_with_monocle: now and then.).

I have a question, more to others reading I suppose, since it is about google sheets.

I can get current prices of stocks, gold and ETFs with the googlefinance function.
example GOOGLEFINANCE(“NASDAQ:GOOG”)

But never managed for funds like the ones from Viac.
It’s been written about before on this forum, but it’s been a while. Is it still the case?
There was someone explaining how to do it running a small script which acceses the CS website and finds/fetches the CS fund price. This is/was too complicated for me to bother with.
Is there still no way to do it using the function?

0P0000O2XU.SW looks like Reuters Instrument Code, which isn’t supported. Any way to translate this to an exchange and ticker symbol.

At the moment I do it manually 2-3 times a year, which is enough for my needs, but automation and live prices do have a certain “Reiz”.

But they are not traded on exchanges! That’s the whole point of funds specifically for pension plans.

I agree the learning curve is steep, but once it is setup, it is a really great tool and very easy to use. It is also highly flexible and you can do so many nice overviews, define an asset allocation and much more.

Thank you so much, maybe I should give it another try…

You’re right, of course. My wording used was intrinsically wrong.
Asked differently, why does Yahoo Finance ( Yahooist Teil der Yahoo Markenfamilie ) manage something that Google Finance can’t!? Feels like 1999.

I have a similar experience to others: I spent hours trying to set it (Portfolio Performance) up and was never able to make it work. I am not able to find the tickers or to find or import historical data. If somebody wanted to write a complete guide from scratch and very detailed, including ETFs from CH, LU, IR, US and funds from CH, LU, I think it would be very useful to many people on this forum :slight_smile:

I’ll write a detailed guide in the next few weeks on my blog, I’ll let you know once it’s ready :slight_smile:

9 Likes

This workflow is indeed super helpful - thanks a lot for that. Optimizing quotes for Viac funds was the only missing piece in PP for me.

I can also see back to some point in time in 2022 - do you have the same issue? Cannot figure out from your graph as it only shows 2023…

Fully agreed - once set up, the tool is awesome!

In the past I got the prices from the CS fundgate directly, but this seems to not work anymore. I think you should be able to upload historical prices manually if you need to.

Yeah, agreed there - thanks. The issue is mainly combining the historical quotes from y finance with uploaded separately the ones from before y finance timeline - anyway, not a major issue

fyi I have it all in a Google Sheet. I am replicating my two vested benefit accounts by “scraping” the special funds off finanzen.ch (for example UBS (CH) INSTITUTIONAL FUND 3 - SWISS REAL ESTATE SECURITIES SELECTION PASSIVE II I-A1 FONDS Fonds | aktueller Kurs | 4211426 | finanzen.ch). Scraping is a big word, I am essentially importing the HTML and replicate my portfolio in Google Sheets.

Interactive Brokers I import daily via a CSV (IB sends me an email to Gmail, from there Google Sheets can import it automatically). The Google finance import functions give you access to almost all normally traded funds.

I like Google Sheets because it gives me unlimited flexibility on other things like automations, triggers, visualizations. The one downside is that I have to manually update position sizes, except the IB integration where I just use the total portfolio value (but I am sure you could also automate individual holdings and trades via the CSV import).

1 Like