ARK Invest - ARK Innovation ETF (ARKK)

The problem with ARK is multiple:

• very difficult to identify leaders of tomorrow in highly disruptive industries. Just because she diversifies cross industries does not mean you reduce overall risk -
  • young analysts in the team
  • no real risk department / control
  • very concentrated
  • big jump over last 12 months

I like some of the picks but still doubt. Take CRISP, great company but it’s valued over 80bn. They will hardly market any product themselves, they will make royalties but still how much could this worth?

For ARK to have an impact on your portfolio , it must be a good share (15-20%). I am not sure I would sleep well with that %. I’d rather do some research and pick some individual stock and hope will do well, knowing it can go to zero. But at this point if I need to gamble, the I prefer lottery or crypto, the upside could be greater :joy::joy:

But welcome for people to experiment. I already fell Woodford, I won’t fall victim of Cathie!

3 Likes

Do you mean CRISPR Therapeutics, it’s around 8bn, not 80bn.
Still hefty for what it is, but ja, interesting technology, outcome uncertain, but potentially disruptive.

Yes correct 8bn. If it gets below 4bn I will buy some CRISP.

Based on Q1 filings it seems quite a few asset managers had the same idea.

In other words, the asset managers were so confident in Wood’s ability to handpick stocks that would lose value during a pull back, they took the inverse of her “expertise” instead of just getting short a tech or small cap index

Of course only with the Q2 numbers latter this summer we will know if they still held PUTs today or not.

The fund’s average holding has doubled (or more) in price since last year - and is losing money.
And the DD they provide is more fiction than facts - despite that, they’ve had huge inflows.

So yeah, not unreasonable to assume they would lose during a market pull back.

Still holding ARKK or divested on the way down? (it’s down 45% since peak)

Still holding a bit, currently PL for those at -6k. Will probably divest if they recover. I’ll give them one year for the most.

“There is absolutely zero analytical rigor in [their] forecast. Even a junior analyst fresh out of school could call it for what it is: a big, fuming pile of bullshit.”

“When all is said and done, and the smoke screen will disappear, ARK will be remembered for what it is: a stock pumping operation toward naive retail investors”

9 Likes

Anyone still holding them?

2 Likes

Not me. Sold 50 at 80 (had bought them at 130). Better late than never.

1 Like

yep, the arkw one :upside_down_face: currently at 63, bought at 110

50%+ down… not yet willing to stomach the 20k USD loss :cry:

Good video on why theme based ETFs are crap:

4 Likes

I’m a bag holder for ARKG :handbag:

to each his own poison

6 Likes

Berkshire vs. ARKK. Warren is nearly always proven right in the end

10 Likes

not a lot had doubts, ARKK a classic pump and dump…

1 Like

Well, if you allow for (yourself) a little bit of market timing…

1 Like

Time for SARKK? 20 chars

1 Like

That’s what you should have bought back in January 2022. I guess buying it now might be a bit too late (but who knows)

4 Likes

Yap, ARKG for me, down 75%! Don’t ask me why i still believe in it cause i don’t f** know :laughing:

1 Like

I use the Yahoo Finance app (it’s still rather good!) and there was a nice comment this morning, that sums up things pretty well:

The problem in the economy is relentless rampant speculation in unprofitable companies that burn cash, like the entire ARKK portfolio. Cathie is sending retail investors to the slaughterhouse.
https://www.openweb.com/share/2BW407ZEC3nH6tDhzV98p7gIU2T

2 Likes