App to follow finances

Hello mustachians!

I am looking for a mobile app or online website to track my budget, expanses and investments.

Do you know this « one for all »?
If possible with évolution month by month ?

Thanks

Example
Expanses :

• rent
  • internet
  • restaurant

Income :

• salary
  • sells online

Budget

• 300 chf left for restaurant in November
  • 800 chf by month for groceries

Investments

• 1200.- in actions + 120.- in dividends
  • 2000.- in crypto
  • 40000.- in my 3a

Hi,

I think it really depends a lot on what you want to get out of it and how “tech savvy” you are.

Personally I use beancount GitHub - beancount/beancount: Beancount: Double-Entry Accounting from Text Files. and fava GitHub - beancount/fava: Fava - web interface for Beancount for it. This is probably something that is rather high on the complexity to setup but also allows for most flexibility.

I’ve used gnucash https://www.gnucash.org/ before and that was basically the app that taught me double booking accounting.

There’s also people using firefly iii https://www.firefly-iii.org/ active here in the forum.

4 Likes

Hi
I’m using a ynab style google calc/libreoffice sheet for budgeting and overview. I thought several times of sharing it here, but never found time to anonymize it. I’ll try this weekend.
cheers
sto

5 Likes

Moneywiz is something our family uses

For Android, I’m using MoneyWallet because it’s open source and also available on F-Droid :slight_smile:

But you can find it on the Play Store as well https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oriondev.moneywallet&gl=US

I don’t track the investments there, though. But for expense / income tracking I like it a lot.

Toshl for detailed expense tracking.
Google sheets for its monthly exports and everything else - NW, investments etc. (as I prefer making my own charts).

(I’ve shared some templates in the corresponding topics)

I’m also an happy user of this tool. Not free (if this was your goal) but reasonably priced.
They were quite active in development until the beginning of this year, now things did slow down as one of the main devs is living in Ukraine.

It can also handle investments but I use it for expenses only so I cannot judge that aspect.

Hi,

I am personally using Aspire Budgeting, based on google sheets.

The author is not actively developping it anymore since it reached a mature state but as a spreadsheet, it is quite easy to add custom features if needed.

I use it with this mobile app developped by another user.

2 Likes

@weirded @ItalianBiker I have access to Moneywiz via a Setapp subscription. As I use several apps available there, the average cost per app gets really interesting.

I did take a look at MoneyWiz, seems very promising !
I will try today the import from YNAB to MW. It’s the things work correctly, I’ll al happily switch and spare 80 CHF per year !

Happy YNAB user, but I started when prices were half of today’s, so am looking also for alternatives - thanks for the useful discussion.

I’m leaning towards bean/fava for myself but to convince my S.O. to use something as well there must necessarily be another option that have to find…

in order to simplify it. Does not your ebanking app provide a similar overview?

I am a YNAB happy user too and I would reccomend it to anyone for its strong “give a job to each CHF you have” approach.
However, it is now reaching a too high price… so I may well move on to something else soon. Perhaps to the google sheet that @stojano mentions? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Banking apps are limited to their own assets (e.g. no Revolut / Wise / cash / etc.) as well as limited budget options.
Although if you are fully and only with UBS, their online banking is quite evolved.

1 Like

Do you see swiss banks in their list of banks?

They rely on SaltEdge and the number of swiss banks is very limited.

They support PostFinance (with 2FA, a bit boring) and Revolut so for my personal needs that’s fine.

Otherwise you can choose the file import (the yearly license cost is lower) but of course less convenient

For me so far the best, and easiest cost tracker app: Cost Track - iOS /// Cost Track - Android

I would suggest to buy with the one-time-fee the app, and there you go. Easy sync. with a Dropbox support. Of course the app is manual, and needs your discipline to put all your costs into it. I’m using it since 2018 so far without any issues. :slight_smile:

https://costtrack.app

Cheers :hot_pepper:

1 Like

Totally agree
I do not track my network of my whole assets (2,3 pillars, stocks…) only salary and for that both incomes arrived to one place and I transfer from there to where I need it. Investments are flag as investments and personal expenses are in a bulk not detail.
For me it is more important to understand my expenses.

1 Like

I just installed firefly on a raspberry pi. I will try it for 2023 !
It look promising with CSV import tool and automation rules creation.

Nice app, but it seems it misses some of the functionality I need for shared costs.