Any Stockpickers out there?

Their investment approach* is just a lame** copycat of the Goofy index … :wink:

More seriously, I like most of their holdings and have a good overlap with them.

* From their Factsheet:

Investment approach

• Uses a bottom-up fundamental proprietary research process
    designed to identify over- and undervalued stocks with attractive
    risk/return characteristics to construct a diversified, low volatility
    equity portfolio
  • Overlays a diversified global equity portfolio with index options with the
    aim of generating income through option premiums and stock
    dividends
  • Use of options overlay to allow for income generation that flexibly
    adjusts with the market

Investor profile: Typical investors in the Sub-Fund are expected to be
investors who seek an income, with the prospects of long-term capital
growth through exposure to global equity markets, who are prepared to
accept the risks associated with an investment of this type, including the
volatility of such markets and the use of FDI.

** Their total return YTD is about 9% (SPY: 17%, MSCI World: ~13.6%).

2 Likes

I might have to re-brand first as there’s already goofy* Goofy products out there.

Maybe I’ll go with my first iteration here of a vanity profile pic / name: Uncle Scrooge!

* Well, certainly tons of goofy products out there … with names starting from A like ARKK to Z like Zillow. :wink:

2 Likes

That’s good to read. If JEPG and similar stuff have stood the test of time by the time I decide to stop working and eff off to my village in Greece I’ve in mind to shift all into that. Extra bonus: capital gains AND dividends from UCITS ETFs are, to date, tax-free in Greece. Sounds almost too good to be true doesn’t it?

Thank you for the tip of JEPG.SW. I am using another ETF from VanEck with ticker TDIV.SW to generate some passive income from dividends but JEPG.SW looks like a better fit: better dividend yield and even lower TER. Do you know in which currency the dividend is paid out? For TDIV.SW it is in EUR.

Isn’t it always in the currency the ETF is listed? So USD in that case.

2 Likes

I assume USD as is the fund currency.
But I am not using the etf, as i am still in accumulating phase, so cannot tell you 100% sure.

1 Like

Wow. Is that really the case? Temporary or permanent law?
Do you happen to know where to.find more details on that?

Off topic!

Well, the law is from 2015, whether that’s permanent or not…who knows. Laws can and do change. It states, among other conditions that need to be met, that the custodian needs to be an EU member state, which can also change :wink:

Incidentally the taxation of non-UCITS ETFs and other securities is also quite favourable: 15% on capital gains, 5% on dividends.

I can dig up more info if you are interested, however it’s well-known in the GR personal finance community.

Edit for example: https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceGreece/s/gBWXTbEnIm
Edit: regulations across the EU: https://www.reddit.com/r/eupersonalfinance/s/frPD1NjP4i

1 Like

Thanks.
Impressive! didnt expect that of greece. But sure I see the political risk.

Well then really accumulate and move there to enjoy :wink:

So basically means UCITS are tax free for Greek residents ?

Is this something to do with market crash in past and hence govt trying to incentivize Equity investing?

1 Like

In that case this ETF is slightly less interesting. I have no special need for extra USD, whereas extra EUR is always nice to use for holidays. It’s then an extra step to convert the USD to CHF.

It seems like it’s 100% tax-free yes. Saying it seems because it sounds too good to be true, but have had it verified by my tax accountant there, that’s what the law says.

Not sure what the incentives are, certainly saving is good for any society (unless it’s oversaving and then you have stagnation due to lack of consumption like in China - but GR is not there and likely won’t ever get there).

1 Like

The first person here moving their tax domicile to Greece because of tax free UCITS, please update the forum in a timely manner as it’ll be an early indicator that the tax laws will soon be changed there.

Not sure yet how to express that view in a trade, but at least it’ll be entertaining (for those of us tax wise staying put in .ch).

:wink:

1 Like

No particular reason for posting this, but came across it on Twitter just now and almost LOL’d.

(source: x.com)

And oh, I guess, recent new ideas of mine:

• new ideas on my watchlist: Pernod Ricard, Teleperformance, UOB (United Overseas Bank), Open Text Corp
  • new ideas that actually made it* into my portfolio in 2024 so far: Cigna, Eversource Energy, Patria Investments, Polaris

* Aside from assignments through splits, etc.

4 Likes

Hey @Guillaume_GVA, so, I really have to thank you for asking that question about why I keep holding positions with >50% loss after 2-4 years.

At the time I rationalized why I was still holding on … and it even rang true at the time and for some positions still rings true … but your question has really been slowly braising on my mental stove and like most … ahem … tough meaty pieces they have tendered over the past couple of weeks and I’ve realized that the actual answer is as simple as it is obvious:

Loss Aversion.

Tough meat and braising it is probably my favorite kind of meat and it seems this method is also suitable for bad investment decisions of mine. Have someone question it, let it simmer on my mind for days and weeks, and come to the unavoidable conclusion that this company was the wrong one to invest in.

I shed off most of the companies I previously justified continuing to hold (on green days – can’t quite quit the market timing) plus a few more.

Still sitting on a few turds where it’s a little harder to sell as their remaining (dividend) yield is still way above what I currently feel comfortable buying into other companies on my watchlist – I should mention that when I sell I prefer replacing the “lost” dividend amount with a similar (ideally higher) “new” dividend amount.

Anyway, it’s a process, I guess.

Thanks again.

4 Likes

I was about to ask about Swatch again but I just heard the news about the difficulties for the whole sector…
I wonder if they’ll stop gifting watches to the stockholders. Right now my investment is -1 Swatch in price so I’m kind of even :slight_smile:

I was thinking exactly the same yesterday and was wondering if I should buy a few more UHRN (probably max 2k) at this very low price. If it goes under 30 CHF I will definitely buy.

Their watches are so cheap to manufacturer, but you can never be sure with Nick.

What about all the other more “luxury” watches brand they own (Omega, Rado, Tissot, Longines, etc…)?

There is apparently a problem with all watches because China don’t buy much anymore. I don’t know if they have just copied them or it’s just crisis time in china. (I tend to believe the latter though)
Also CHF is getting stronger every day.

Are you sure will stop there? I thought the same at 40… But I didn’t do “my homework”.

1 Like