Any PC/gaming enthusiasts?

Really good headphones with a good soundcard is an important part of the gaming experience in my option. There are games like War Thunder, where you recognize the tank model by the sound or in iRacing where you hear a slide change in the tire noises before you start to lose a car (+1 Nerd points).

@Bojack with graphics cards and CPUs there can be different clock speeds achievable from chip to chip (same model) because there is variance in the production. This is often called the ā€œsillicon lotteryā€.

If you have enough cooling and power capacity it can make sense to test what your chip is capable of and just run that clock speed. But itā€™s definitely not needed and has become less ā€œusefulā€ over the last years as vendors push their chips more towards the limit and with software features like ā€œGPU Boostā€ that automatically overclock your card if possible (in most cases thatā€™s not going to yield the maximum possible clock speed of your chip but it gets kinda close if youā€™re using air cooling).

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-CPUs-not-all-made-the-same-exact-e-g-the-silicon-lottery-is-played-a-lot-when-you-buy-a-new-CPU-to-overclock

1 Like

I decided that I will be splurging in January/February (or whenever the new parts are in stock and not on back-order) and building myself a new gaming rig to replace the one I built in April 2014.

Iā€™ll only keep my SSDs and the power supply (Corsair AX760).

Consequently, the list of things Iā€™ll buy new is quite long:

• new case (ATX form factor with front USB-C)
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • AM4 socket motherboard
  • a Noctua CPU cooler
  • 2 x 16GB DDR4 ~3600 MHz (edited)
  • RTX 3070 or 3080
  • 1-2 27" 1440p 120+hz G-Sync compatible monitors

I expect to spend around 2kCHF. I will put my old parts on tutti for 300 - 400 CHF.

1 Like

Why a dedicated CPU Cooler? The one coming with the CPU is perfectly rated for the TDP of it.

Why not 2x 16GB to leave room for upgrading later?

1 Like

Why a dedicated CPU Cooler? The one coming with the CPU is perfectly rated for the TDP of it.

The 105W TDP parts donā€™t come with a boxed cooler anymore.

You are right regarding the memory, itā€™s probably dual-channel only anyway so better to get 2x16GB.

Iā€™ll definitely want PCIe Gen.4 SSD to go with that kickass build :-).

Why not try and use some Black Friday / Cyber Week discounts next month?

Iā€™d buy a new SSD, M2 format. Less space taken, more airflow and itā€™s new. Donā€™t forget that SSD do die sooner or laterā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking you should go one notch down with the CPU and one notch up with the GPU (i.e. 3080), seems most games are GPU limited above 1080p.

Agree on 2x sticks of RAM.

Probably better if you get a 500GB M2 Nvme as OS drive and reuse the existing SSD (assuming itā€™s bigger) for data/storage/library. I donā€™t see the cost-benefit of PCIe4 for storage at the moment, better wait I think.

If only those bloody 3080 would be better availableā€¦ Still waiting for mineā€¦

1 Like

Here a good comparison of M2 vs SSD vs HDD.

1 Like

Take your time often nothing good to buy day one.

Let people detect bug and manufacturer correct these bugs after wait for the first discount on these cards before buy anything :slight_smile:

Yeah a M.2 drive is not worth it for me personally, I know itā€™s not expensive anymore but I already have enough SSD storage.
I donā€™t want a 5800X because I would like to keep the CPU for 6+ years and while I donā€™t recommend future-proofing on GPUs because theyā€™re replaced easily, I personally like to do it on the CPU side. This is likely the last generation of processors on the AM4 platform anyway.
I can get a RTX 4070/5070 or whatever later and it will be easy to sell the old card. The RTX 3080s are going for ~900.- now and thatā€™s more money than Iā€™m willing to spend on a graphics card.

1 Like

Did anybody already receive the PS5? I managed to order one with some trickery on mediamarkt.ch today at 11:56 which currently claims 1-4 business days shipping.

I received this morning via Swiss Post:)(i bought it on Digitec)

1 Like

I just got the shipping confirmation mail so I should have it tomorrow.

1 Like

I wonder if thereā€™s also a possibility to get the playstation+ membership or games cheaper like using turkish accounts for netflix. Has anybody tried something like that?

Question, any tips as to where to buy a gaming PC? Iā€™d like to configure the PC, choose all components, but then have it assembled. I found two vendors, both look quite good, even though with one there is the question of custom duty. And prices / availability of the new graphics cards are just off the scale crazyā€¦

Vendors:

The two listed suppliers are both in Switzerland, there should be no additional taxes on top of the ā€œMwStā€ which is usually included in the listed price.

Why not JP , https://www.jouleperformance.ch/ ?