Any PC/gaming enthusiasts?

Anyone watched the Nvidia presentation yesterday? Holy cow, what a performance increase for 1 generation! Last time I saw something like this was with the GTX8800 14 years ago!

I have a rather old PC with a Intel 4770K CPU from 2013 and a Nvidia GTX1070, so thinking about upgrading this winter :smiley:

2 Likes

Thinking about replacing my 1080Ti too but it’s definitely not the mustachian way. A friend of mine is using GeForce Now nowadays which costs a mere 7.- Fr. a month, think for how long you can use that service for the price of an RTX 3090.

Don’t forget to get a ryzen, but beware that some MoBo don’t support the latest generation until a bios upgrade (very big facepalm)

3 Likes

Fortunately there are some mobos out there which allow for bios updates w/o CPU, Memory, GPU installed.

Yeah I would buy a whole new PC with Zen3 CPU, Nvidia 3080 etc.

But buying a new PC for 2-2.5k is not the mustachian way :thinking:

1 Like

I also have a “old” pc with a i7-4770 and GTX 770. I was thinking to buy a new 49’’ screen, but my gpu doesn’t support this type of resolution. So it’s quite liketly at will at least buy a RTX 3070

Amazing performance boost, I was right to not buy RTX first gen. I have an I5 6600K and RX 580 8GB

Even tought it’s quite tempting to update to a 3070, I’ll just wait for my friends to upgrade and either buy one 1080TI or a 2080 from one of them. Since I don’t play on 4k It’ll just be overkill to go for something more powerful than that.

I bought a new TV and a new monitor a couple of months ago. LG OLED C9 65" and the ASUS ROG PG279QE 27" Gsync monitor (1440p, 165Hz, IPS panel).

I would really like to play some games like RDR2, Metro Exodus etc. but my current PC is just to weak.

It will depends on how many PC components you need to upgrade. In my case, my PC Gamer has 8 years old. The only upgrade I did a few month later was to change my old GTX 780 by a GTX 980Ti generoulsy gifted by my little brother who change it in order to put an RTX 2080 in his PC.

For Christmas or later in 2021 I will take a new motherboard, new Ryzen CPU, new RAM, new Nvme and the RTX 3080. It will last for another 7-8 years :slight_smile: I don’t need to change my DD, Box and the Ventirad :wink: It will cost around 1’500 CHF (for 7-8 more years).

A new PC Gamer could fit the mustachian way if you think to use it for many years without changing any compnents due to “marketing evolution”. Here with the new Nvidia GPU and AMD CPU we have a real performance update for many years :smiley: (like PS4 to PS5 if you want to compare for console).

1 Like

I used to be a PC gaming enthusiast as a teenager. Aah, the miracles of a 3dfx Voodoo graphics card! Bought together with some buddies to get a discount. Installed on a Saturday morning and followed by 48hrs of continuous gaming in Quake (yes, the first Quake!).

Now I’m lazy and have an Xbox, and I’m looking forward to the new PS 5. :slightly_smiling_face:

I checked out the Nvidia demo and it’s really impressive. We’re getting to the point where it’s hard to distinguish reality from simulation!

4 Likes

Hehe I also had a Monster Diamond 3D at some point. Good times.

Back to topic, for me it’s more the itch of assembling a new PC that comes up from time to time. I have a cart filled with components on the Digitec page right now :wink: Would love to build an ITX small form factor build but the new airflow design of the 30X0 cards doesn’t go well with the small cases.

I also do wait for the PS5 which seems to be a bargain when looking at the 700.- CHF price tag of the RTX3080

1 Like

My Alienware was about 5k, but it holds up great until now (6y of age, no damage, still running new games perfectly
.)

And from now on I will buy the spare parts as I need them. So actually on the long run could be mustachian since you do not need to upgrade that often. (I am hoping to get at least 10y, maybe 12 without much of an upgrade. Considering the nearly daily usage and the time saved during complex GIS projects, it was in my view a good deal).

I have one of those. A nice MSI board with the only downside that it takes 1-3 seconds to load the bios before the usual beep.

Well I would upgrade everything and sell my old PC.

It’s part of the fun to build it from scratch :smiley:

4 Likes

Mustachian tip: stegpc.ch currently has a TWINT cashback offer 10.- Fr. for minimum purchase of 100.- Fr. just incase somebody gets a RTX 3080 today at 15:00 :wink:

1 Like

For me, I’ll get the RTX 3070 I think, I just wonder if my MoBo will be able to handle it^^’

I haven’t upgraded in a while because I have locked myself in from multiple angles and I will have to replace almost everything :sweat_smile:

My 4th Gen i7 is already bottlenecking the GTX 980 Ti I put in after a couple of years (it’s a 6 core with rather slow single core speeds). My Korean overclocked monitor with 105hz only has a Dual-DVI input which isn’t a thing on new graphic cards anymore, there are active adapters for around 120.- but I don’t think that’s going to work well because I always had to patch the nVidia drivers after each update to remove the 330 MHz pixel clock limit and use the custom resolution utility to overclock my monitor from it’s 60hz native refresh rate.

Point being I’m going to need a G-Sync compatible 120hz+ 1440p monitor, a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM (I still have DDR3 
) and a graphics card (RTX 3070). Yikes.
And to be honest I want a new case with Type-C on the front too because I have this super large E-ATX tower for no particular reason.

Probably going to wait a bit more because I don’t really see myself spending 3 grand on gaming at this point in time.

I have a shopping list on Digitec saved with highend components for around 2300.- Fr. (Assuming assembling is something you’re willing to do).

Well, a new build with a RTX 3070 or AMD equivalent with a Ryzen 5 5600 and a 144 hz 1440p display will set you back around 1500-1600 chf in a few months. Less if you keep your SSD and PSU.

Estimate is based on this + some extra for the higher prices here:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $204.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock B550M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $80.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $50.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Green 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $52.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card $499.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case $68.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 11 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $79.90 @ B&H
Monitor Samsung C27JG56 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor $299.99 @ Samsung
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1338.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-21 04:23 EDT-0400

Btw, anybody managed to successfully preorder a PS5?