AMEX Credit card from Swisscard with 1% cashback

I just ordered my cashback card and then stumbled upon this old reply. Does anyone get debited via LSV a week before they receive their statements?

I use LSV with my current cards, and for both I receive the statement about a day after the monthly period closes, and the amount gets deducted 2 weeks later. So plenty of time to check.

True. What does that have to do with my question?

A little disappointed with this card. I’ve tried using it in many places and most of the time I’ve had to switch to a different card. Nice to know that it works on booking.com and digitec/galaxus but for the past year my transaction with it are primarily coop/migros. I don’t even shop in these places much.

Amex is not accepted everywhere, if you realise that most of your spending is currently done by Visa/Mastercard, that probably a Mastercard with 1% cashback would be better for you - options:

• Certo 1% for selected stores, but actuall cashback payed out in cash,
  • Ikea Faimly credit card all stores apart from IKEA, but the cashback is paid in IKEA vouchers
2 Likes

Including transactions at IKEA, too.

My monthly bill also clearly states that. Great thing about the IKEA card is Mastercard acceptance - and that you can use the vouchers you receive for your points to buy household items that are actually useful or need replacement - at often reasonable prices.

Redeeming a dozen or so CHF 5,- vouchers (each with its own 4-digit PIN code) at a time can feel slightly cumbersome though, especially when they have to help you to continue at the self-checkout after you made a mistake,

1 Like

Good to know, thanks for the hint @San_Francisco - I based my statement on (and I have never tried):

You earn one IKEA point for every Swiss franc spent on transactions not involving IKEA Switzerland. Get one IKEA voucher worth CHF 5. More information at ikea.ch/creditcard

from this brochure - note “1”, and used Amex in IKEA :slight_smile: and IKEA card where only Mastercard was accepted.

I think AMEX is not very useful in Switzerland simply because lot of places cannot accept it.

Certo (Cembra) works everywhere and you get between 0.33% to 1% cashback (depending on vendor selection by you)

So the main question for you will be if you normally shop at places where AMEX is accepted or where AMEX is not accepted. That should drive the decision

How long are the expiration dates of the vouchers you receive? And can they be used at the restaurant there?

Off topic: PostFinance Gold for 100.- and 0.5% cashback is not too bad.

self checkout at Ikea is a disgrace.

Last year I spent most of my momney in Amex-compatible shops. If I really want to improve I should probably get a Certo for those 2-3 shops that don’t accept it.
Actually a better investment would probably be a free EU credit card with cashback.

I don’t use cashback cards because it gives me the incentive to spend more due to “alluring” 1% cashback.

Takeaway: Not spending is always better than receiving menial cashbacks.

2 Likes

I don’t go into shops that sells cigarettes because it gives the incentive to buy cigarettes and smoking gives cancer.

5 Likes

IKEA confirmed to me it is now 10 years. It was much shorter when they first brought out the card

Yes I believe they work in the restaurant. Just be prepared to redeem 5CHF tokens one by one with pin code (their problem for making it so complicated!)

Thanks for answering! A lot longer than I expected (1 year). And if I remember correctly, it’s 1% with IKEA.

Regarding the CHF5 vouchers, is it not connected to your family card account or application? There should be a better way rather than submitting CHF5 vouchers each with separate codes.

1 Like

No, it is not.
And you can also redeem vouchers from another card holder.
Those vouchers are basically 5 CHF gift cards, and I suspect they are implemented as such in the background.

2 Likes

The rate of non-accepting shops and particularly restaurants higher for me.

If anything, it’s rather an argument for not using cards at all. I certainly don’t spend more to receive 1% of it as Cashback.

Heard that too. Haven’t seen an expiry date.

They didn’t ask me for PIN in the restaurant (but do, of course, at self-checkout).

…but gift cards can be redeemed by someone else?!

Sure, why not? My partner and I exchange those IKEA vouchers all the time…

1 Like

Restaurants are indeed the “problem”. I sometimes pay in cash as a way to give them a 2-3% tip. Not using Amex is probably also a kind-of tip if you see what I mean. An Ikea CC would be better since the bonus is paid by Ikea and not by the CC or restaurants.

I might reconsider using my Ikea CC more and not only for flights. I just don’t buy that much stuff there.
Maybe we should organize a marketplace for them :smiley:

1 Like

Their link back to the web site does not contain the restriction to outside of IKEA (anymore).

Such cards wouldn‘t be financially viable (for issuers) at a 1% cashback rate, given that EU credit card interchange on consumer cards (for four-party systems like Visa & Mastercard) is capped at 0.3%.

I misread (in a bit of hurry), sorry. :slight_smile:

Can confirm they seem to work like normal gift cards.