All about Revolut

Exactly the rates from here:
https://www.mastercard.co.uk/en-gb/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html

Rookie question about revolut card usage abroad. The good thing of the card using for purchasing abroad is that does not charge fee for exchanging to local currency. Does this apply any time, weekend too? As I understand the currency exchange on the revolut account is not free on the weekend. Does the card still changes currency for free when I am using it abroad on weekend?

Same thing as for manual currency exchange between currency balances: There’s an added margin over the weekend, so you’d better exchange during the week.

2 Likes

Not a good news but Thank You.

I think it shouldn’t be a big deal even if you go in some place just for a holiday. If you go to japan for a weekend, you exchange some chf in yen now and then you will exchange the remaining amount back in chf. you won’t lose much theoretically. Less than the markup I believe.

I think we as 1st world society are never fully satisfied and tend to complain about everything but in this case I really don’t see an issue about the system.
On the contrary, I find it working very well.
I’m finishing my second week in the States right now and Revolut has so far worked very well.
I’m converting CHF to USD in chunks as soon as my USD balance goed under a certain threshold. I do the conversions during the week with just 1 click and without markup.
Honestly I don’t know other card providers which give such a good service for free.
PS I ordered the card just before leaving so this is my first experience with Revolut.
Otherwise I’m using N26 since 1.5 years but probably will abandon it and stick with Revolut if it continues this way.

2 Likes

By the way, you should not blame Revolut for this. The weekend exchange rate is higher, because FX markets are closed. On this website you can read about it in detail.

If you exchange currencies on weekdays (Mon-Fri UTC) you will receive the interbank exchange rate without any markup

If Revolut didn’t add 0.5-1.0% on the weekend, they would be at a loss.

1 Like

It was not a real complaint from me but it was just too short time for me to transfer and exchange before the weekend I intended travelling. If I would have time enough then all you description would work well. Baby stepps

Hi!

Now I top up my Revolut account with my credit card in CHF. All is ok

I need anotcher app or bank to do the same thing…anyone knows? I found Wirex for example but I can only top up with EUR card…not chf

Thanks for the recomendations!!

You can try:

Give you 5% cash back…

Thanks for sharing. Can we trust this company?

Yes I think so:

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/nexo.io?utm_medium=trustbox&utm_source=Carousel

CNBC interview:

They offer more than 8% interest on EUR where interest rates are generally zero. There is definitely something really fishy.

Moreover, when you post an affiliate link, disclose it!

3 Likes

uh, the 8% are coming from loans with cryptocurrency collaterals (from what I can tell), definitely wouldn’t touch it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think those sites are used to wash crypto money somehow. I.e. you give them your crypto as collateral, then get the loan and just never repay it.

But in general they seem to be relatively legit. Others are celsius.network and blockfi.com .

And to answer @omoyano’s original question, Transferwise seems to be a good alternative to Revolut.

thanks…

But I tried transferwise and there are fees to money exchange isn’t?

1000 chf to € ==> 4chf fees

Yes but still very cheap compared to what others charge (especially hidden in the fake conversion rate).

Yes it’s true…my bank apply a lot of fake conversion rate…so I try to use another way

thanks

I’ll search if its possible to find alternatives to transferwise without fees… Not easy

Cembra Moneybank (Cumulus Creditcard) started charging 1.5% on my Revolut top ups in CHF :frowning:! Has anyone made the same experience?

I top up by bank transfer and have exactly zero fees.