All about Revolut [2022]

I did it for approx 25 kchf to euro.

My standard use of Revolut was to transfer around chf 500 monthly.

Revolut blocked my account for AML purposes.

I had to produce a lot of documents to free the funds (payslips, tax return, bank account statements) and the process took several days.

The chat only support was a real pain to deal with.

I’ve had one single AML check around 2019 where I had to produce my P2P portfolios because I had small amounts trickle in from 10-12 different plattforms. Never had an issue with them since and I’ve transfered 400k+ CHF thru them in total.

That was the situation since many months. Then, a week ago or so I have noticed that the spread on EUR/CHF pair became much narrower, even outside of banking hours in Switzerland. It is as low as 2 pips now, for example, which corresponds to a markup extra “fee” of 0.01%. A nice development for once.

5 Likes

Did anybody receive a new email from Revolut about the new change they did for us ?
From the email:

We used to use ‘real exchange rate’ to describe our currency exchange rates. We now understand that the concept of the ‘real’ rate could be open to interpretation, and may mean different things to different people.

From today, we’ll describe our rate as the ‘Revolut exchange rate’ for currency exchanges. This exchange rate is set by us, and is dynamic as it reflects real-time market changes.

So it’s the end of Real/Mastercard exchange rate?

1 Like

I had the same message from Revolut.
I will need to compare the rate and the spread with IBKR.
I use mostly the broker for large currency conversion.

revolut

google “real”

mastercard:

I’m slow. revolut raised it once I did the mastercard screenshot. 1038~

1 Like

I am not concerned. Revolut spreads had become recently very low. You can trade FX in both directions, therefore any significant deviation from the interbank exchange rate (yeah, that’s the word they were looking for) creates an arbitrage opportunity. So it can’t happen :laughing:.

That was a theoretical justification. Experimentally I have also checked rates shown by Revolut and by TradingView and have not found a significant difference. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Yes, I also see around 0.2% fee packed into the spread.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks for pointing this out. Is Revolut still worth it compared to Wise and Neon?

Still better than Wise which had 0,36% forex fee.

The best remains interactive broker.

1 Like

Providing a single point of data data, I exchanged 100 CHF to EUR yesterday evening at both Revolut and Wise. Almost simultaneously, within mere seconds, resulting in…

• EUR 103.38 at Wise
  • EUR 103.68 at Revolut

wiLLBe gave me EUR 103.53 for CHF 99.64. Which would be EUR 103.90 for a CHF 100 at the same rate. Not sure if I could have specified the desired amount in the target currency - guess not, given that they only executed the transfer/conversion today (EUR/CHF fell overnight).

For small amounts, all of them are likely to beat IBKR‘s (practically) „flat“ fee.

2 Likes

I have tried it and had to wait like 10 minutes. I guess you just got lucky and the price had moved in your favor.

Seems to have worked for me, saved 0.40$ on 300$.

Put a limit order above the price and believe I got filled at actual market rate instead of the Revolut exchange rate that was about 0.2% worse.

But it’s hard to tell because of the fluctations. Anyway, need to look into getting a Wise card, Revolut is moving in the wrong direction in my opinion.

What makes you think Revolut is moving in the wrong direction?

There was a change in the T&C’s between 13 and 19 July 2023. They moved from the real exchange rate to the Revolut exchange rate. Iirc I also got an e-mail at the time. I think they are still struggling to become profitable. For me it’s still fine overall, I find the convenience worth the relatively small markup.

4 Likes