All about Revolut [2022]

Oh, I haven’t see this detail, cool. I’m already on Metal.

2 Likes

why on Metal? could you share you case why you switched?

The problem with Premium for me is that you have to pay it yearly and not month by month. I usually would like to have it 1-2 times a year for vacations where I reach their free withdrawl/FX limits, but I do not believe it’s economical.

This latest change leaves a bad taste. Constantly adding new scammy fees, they are losing their USP against traditional banks (which at least have proper client service).

Card transactions have fees. I don’t know whether Revolut charges a bit more than what they have to pay. However, charging you for the fees they incur is far away from a scam. (The scam is rather the high fees of the card network + issuer + payment processors). It would be different if Revolut charged us for incoming domestic bank transfers, then I’d understand the feeling.

On the contrary, I get suspicious of companies that refund you 3rd party fees. Either they overcharge you in other areas or it’s not sustainable.

3 Likes

Indeed, it’s a business, I think they have to try to be profitable somehow.

I’m still using the free option; I’d consider to pay for the service but imo the gap between the plus and the premium is a bit excessive. I’d go with the premium but with a lower price and/or with the possibility to have some kind of joint plan for me and the wife (who is also using the free card) without having to pay twice the price.

I was thinking : If you do metal revolut with cashback (0,1%) if you spend 1600 chf per month ,( not so impossibile here) you can have back the monthly cost (16chf).
Has someone already tried ?

0.1% of 1600 is 1.60 though.

5 Likes

Of course it’s possible. Outside of Europe you get 1%. You can even make money if you pay metal yearly (then two months are free) and get the max cashback of CHF 15.99.-/month e.g. spending 1600.- outside of europe or 16k in Europe.

I like Revolut with the different cards, temporary cards and virtual cards for online payments. I don’t mind paying a bit for it.

1 Like

I wonder if the new fees for deposits will also apply when depositing using Google Pay. Does anyone know?

The cash back on Metal is crap in Europe, but if you use it a lot in foreign currencies, the savings in forex fees and free cash withdrawals justify the cost.

I sometimes use it to convert currencies for my business. Cheaper than Wechselstube or Wise.

1 Like

so have you found out if there is a way to avoid these costs by around 1%?

1 Like

Yes : move to Neon. What is the advantage of keeping revolut?

Has anyone tried to fund the Revolut with Apple Pay (using an Amex/Mastercard) instead?

They don’t show the fee % on that option but I doubt that it would work…

1 Like

Well, at least with Google Pay your card number is scrambled, but a vendor still sees what kind of card it is. I don’t think it makes any difference.

I have in Apple Wallet various cards (the usual suspects recommended on this forum), but Revolut seem to accept none and tells me “Add Card to Apple Pay - Add a card that is accepted by Revolut.”.

1 Like

And just a random information, I just realized that a couple of month ago : Revolut is linkable to YNAB (can’t wait for Neon to be as well). Really useful.

1 Like

Just tried the transfer to charge up Revolut. Took one businessday to reach the account and free. So still working for me, since I need it mainly on holidays or some monthly Germany purchases which are planned. Emergency purchases wich will be negligible will be done with normal CH credit card.

Sure topping up with credit card was more comfy, but we got bigger problems in the world.

More expensive with its 0.8-1.7% fee for transfers abroad, and cash withdrawals fees.

2 Likes

Yep, SEPA work well, just keep in mind that it is business days, so no transfers during the weekend.

I just tried topping up using my Swisscard Cashback Mastercard using Google Pay. It was instant and there was no fee.

New fees might have been not implemented yet or there is a grace period or you have a premium account. I would check in one month or so.

2 Likes