3rd pillar investment solution from VIAC

Also excluding the fact that you are investing the tax savings. 1164/y invested with 8.8% (what a number, lol) would result in additional 390k.

If I run the numbers for me: I save 25%, so that’s 1700/year. Let’s assume 6%/year for 30 years in Viac and 6.5% in VT (due to lower fees).

Taxes: I’ll save 51k in taxes and and pay ~33k on 550k. So net gain of 18k.
Fees: I lose 52k in gains due to higher fees.
Additional investments: 1700/y invested for 30 years with 6.5% result in 152k.

So I already look at +118k without taking into account that dividends aren’t taxed in 3rd pillar and I wont pay wealth tax as long as it is in the 3rd pillar.

4 Likes

Additional sources:

IMO it’s nearly impossible to model this in a sensible way over a 30+ year time horizon. But still, the issue with capital gains being taxed as part of a 3a-sheltered account invested in shares is true.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that the top 3 stocks (by market capitalization) make up 55% of SMI. You‘d create a cluster risk by concentrating (instead of diversifying) in these 3 stocks, for just a small (if meaningful at all) diversification in currency.

And for each of Nestlé, Roche and Novartis, domestic revenue will be just a tiny fraction of their entire revenue. It‘s like gaining a small „diversification“ currencies, while at the same time concentrating in a few companies.

I‘m not sure if I read it on the forum before - but the thought occurred to me as well, earlier this month.

Gives me second thoughts about contributing to pillar 3a.

1 Like

Supposedly article is based on a Masters (“Masterarbeit von Scheidegger (2018)”) but the example quoted is worthy of a 12 year old’s maths project. :-1:

1 Like

@yakari, I didn’t say he is wrong, but with the simplifications made in the example, the calculation becomes 12 year old math level and therefore … quite worthless.
“…vernachlässigen den Effekt von Gebühren oder Dividenden … Weiter könnte man auch die jährliche Steuerersparnis in Aktien reinvestieren oder die 3a-Gelder gestaffelt beziehen…”
In an article, based on a Masters, posted on a fancy Private Bank home page, I expect more.

“Als spezialisierter Vermögensverwalter stehen wir Ihnen für die Bewirtschaftung Ihres freien Wertschriftenvermögens gerne zur Seite.”

Thanks, but no thanks.

That was probably this thread?

1 Like

For safe (=low) income from capital i will not pay viac-grade fees or chose 3a-style illiquid containers.

1 Like

Rebalancing wouldn’t be easy if you use Viac only for cash/bonds/REITs.

Who has bonds anyway? At least with CHF as reference currency.

If I had a cash/ bond allocation in my portfolio, it would be some bond ETF and some cash on the money market. what use is a cash position in a portfolio if you cannot use it for rebalancing, because you cannot buy IB ETFs with it?

my liquididty cushion is on my giro account.

1 Like

At 0.3% interest rate and >0.35% inflation (CHF) I call these a safe loss, not a safe income.

So in simple words…:

VIAC is still the best way to invest for example with “Global 100” or others strategies.
Especially when able to invest the yearly tax reduction separately into the market.
And also splitting the 3a accounts investments, so that the late tax impacts will be distributed during several years.

In comparison to invest normally into VT or similar construct with a low TER.

Is my summary correct so far?

Good point. Good point. I was guessing you wanted to market time.

I guess somewhere here (max. 100k per bank):
https://www.cembra.ch/de/sparen/kassenobligation/

1 Like

coop deposit…
my usual suggestion.

Also think that is still the cheapest. Further their answer is very detailed and clear. For me, it is also important to have a good service.

Btw you won’t get the 100k Einlagenschutz with Deposit accounts.

1 Like

If Coop fails you’ll have other issues IMHO…

Indeed, so why also lose a lot of cash that day

Sadely WIR reduced total interests to 0.7% for their Bonussparkonto for 2020… and that of their 3rd pilar to 0.3% instead of 0.4%…

FYI, the cash portion interest rate in VIAC has dropped to 0.15% per 01.01.2020.
Happy new year everyone :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I hope noone has more than 3% cash there.
On the other hand inflation is negative in Switzerland again. So what!