3rd pillar investment solution from VIAC

Good point. Good point. I was guessing you wanted to market time.

I guess somewhere here (max. 100k per bank):
https://www.cembra.ch/de/sparen/kassenobligation/

1 Like

coop deposit…
my usual suggestion.

Also think that is still the cheapest. Further their answer is very detailed and clear. For me, it is also important to have a good service.

Btw you won’t get the 100k Einlagenschutz with Deposit accounts.

1 Like

If Coop fails you’ll have other issues IMHO…

Indeed, so why also lose a lot of cash that day

Sadely WIR reduced total interests to 0.7% for their Bonussparkonto for 2020… and that of their 3rd pilar to 0.3% instead of 0.4%…

FYI, the cash portion interest rate in VIAC has dropped to 0.15% per 01.01.2020.
Happy new year everyone :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I hope noone has more than 3% cash there.
On the other hand inflation is negative in Switzerland again. So what!

Anyone know when VIAC will be issuing the 2019 tax certificates? Last year they were pretty quick, 17.01.

You can’t wait to fill out your tax declaration? :smiley:

2 Likes

I just got the info that VIAC will be able to use the new double taxation agreement between USA and Switzerland (only apply to 3rd pillar) It means that CS funds like MSCI World ex CH and MSCI World small cap ex CH will have improved returns due to the removal of the US withholding tax.
It means higher expected returns ~0.35% each year.

4 Likes

i think they move the right direction!

anybody knows, if VZ offers the same?

BOOM. Great to hear. What’s the withholding tax on Emerging Markets, Europe, Japan, Pacific and Canada?

Just wrote VIAC to confirm:

Guten Tag
Ja, mit dem neuen DBA zwischen der Schweiz und den USA können wir in neue Fondsklassen investieren. Wir sind bereits im Prozess mit der Credit Suisse, um die endgültige Genehmigung zu erhalten. Wir haben den Prozess sofort in Gang gesetzt, als wir von der endgültigen Genehmigung des DBA gelesen haben. :+1:

To determine effective withholding tax rate analogously, you should be able to look up 1. withholding tax rates and 2. relevant DTA with Switzerland for every relevant country individually. :wink:

Canada: 15%. Australia: 15%. Japan: 10%.
Interesting that in most agreements if you have significant holdings (>10%) in a single company, the dividend withholding tax rate is lower. Seems to favour very rich people - I wonder what the rationale is for this.

Interesting that in most agreements if you have significant holdings (>10%) in a single company, the dividend withholding tax rate is lower. Seems to favor very rich people

Because you are thinking only about big multinational companies. If you are the owner of a small/medium company, it makes sense to have a lower withholding tax rate as you will pay income tax on dividends.

Due to DBA treaties, Pension funds and 3rd pillar have lower withholding tax. However, it’s hard to know if the companies managing the funds use them.

The new DBA between the USA and CH has no impact on withholding tax from other countries

Ah, in CH this was introduced by the notorious Unternehmenssteuerreform II in about 2010. The communicated rationale is that the company profits are already taxed & then if the distributed profits in the form of dividends are taxed again, that is “unfair” to the small & medium business owners.
It’s complex. I don’t know what to believe.
It was accepted in one of those referendums that 99% didn’t have a chance of really understanding.

AFAIK this is for multinational companies, so they can channel profits from countries to countries with little tax loss (Switzerland wants to stay competitive in the tax heaven space).

Less for rich people - more for institutional shareholders (parent/holding/group companies etc.).