3rd pillar investment solution from VIAC

Mine is 20% SMI, 17% SPI Extra, 20% MSCI World, 20% MSCI World Small Caps, 20% Emerging Markets

I additionally hold MSCI World ETF at a broker so that the total distribution matches MSCI ACWI as close as possible. This configuration is also very easy and cost effective to rebalance (free rebalancing at VIAC)

At source:
https://www.six-group.com/exchanges/indices/data_centre/shares/spi_extra_en.html

1 Like

Interesting :thinking: Does that mean that you adjust your VIAC allocations on a regular basis depending on the balance on your broker’s account?

That’s where I got the data from Dec-2017 from (the factsheet). How can I get a more recent number? What am I missing? That information should be quite easy to find, right?

I hold the Xtrackers MSCI World (XDWL) at a Swiss broker and only plan to do 1-2 transactions a year to minimize fees. I will buy into VIAC at the same time and adjust allocation if necessary. General idea is that MSCI World can be had cheaper outside of VIAC, so why pay 0.5% for that?

I do my monthly purchases for the majority of my portfolio at IB.

What data do you need to pull? Market Cap? I remember I investigated that once…

So you are basically using VIAC to cover small caps as small caps would be less cheaper outside of VIAC than MSCI World outside of VIAC?

Jup. That should be easy enough, right? I just couldn’t find it so far :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Exactly. I only hold MSCI World (and UBS Gold) at the Swiss broker and the rest at VIAC. Minimall number of transactions, fees, broker diversification and all that …

I then have a completely separate portfolio at IB where I’m less focused on following the ACWI (all country world index).

Indeed I can only see the data from end of 2017. By then the SPI market cap was 1553B and SPI Extra was 408B. This would mean SMI was 1553-408 = 1145B.

I wouldn’t bother too much to reproduce this with extreme precision. Roughly 3:1 in proportions is good. I think your allocation is spot on if this is what you wanted to achieve.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of defining my investment strategy (long term) and I would like some insight on how to properly balance things using regular investments and pillar 3a.
I have 20k already in 3a, currently moving to VIAC.
I plan to invest a lump 40-50k in VT (or a VTI+others combination, not decided yet) and then 10k per quarter.
At first 3a will represent half of my investments but this share will shrink over time.
My marginal tax rate is around 20%, so first I am questioning whether to invest in 3a at all. I have not dug into calculations yet, do you have pointers on that subject?
Then regarding the portfolio allocation I looked at Mr Lean Life strategy and others from this thread and I don’t know which makes the most sense for the Swiss 40%: blue chips with SMI or more SPI extra, since I will already be exposed to big caps through VT.
Same question for the remaining 60%, TER is 0 for All World exCH but it does not include emerging markets.
What do you think?

Head over to the thread started by nugget (see snippet below for the conclusion). I personally think it’s well worth to invest in 3a due to the tax reduction aspect (free money).

Good point. I wouldn’t call you crazy if you would decide to increase the allocation towards the SPI Extra, given the fact that this will become a small proportion of your overall stash over time anyhow. However, keep in mind that there is no way of knowing if small caps will outperform large caps in the future. I personally prefer to follow the market capitalisation ratios for deciding upon the asset allocation percentages in the spirit of Vanguard’s approach for the VT.

That’s correct. I was turned off by the 0.09% extra product cost. However, if you are willing to take on the extra cost, the allocation would probably be somewhere around 12% Emerging Markets and 88% World. Multiplied with the 60% this would give you:

USD:
7% Emerging Markets
53% World ex CH

For those who completed all three referrals, does this appear to have reset in your app? I opened another portfolio today and again have to option to “Invite a friend”, which is a bit concerning as there doesn’t appear to be any documentation stating that I’ve already done this…

In the first tab, at the bottom, click on “Fees” (commissions). The breakdown should include an entry at the bottom for the fee-free amount (CHF1500 max).

Does anyone know when VIAC plans to actually launch their desktop version?.. I really like the simple and informative app, but it bothers me that I can’t check my 3a from my browser on my laptop!

They said on the 20th of february or march. No other news for now.

I might open a 3a somewhere else this year if they don’t tell us anything…

@VIAC any news on the web interface ? Many of us waiting here…:wink:

from looking at their tweets they are late, they said so a few weeks ago and are now filling their twitter stream with 10K celebrations… “distraction tactics” :wink:

Hello, thank you for sharing your thoughts in your blog. I found it very interesting since im about to open an account with viac.
My question now is how do you combine this portfolio with your habitual portfolio in IB, Cornertrade, Degiro…
If we are following the 3 ETF strategy, wouldn’t be better only getting the chf swiss home bias etf, small caps etf and emergent markets etf in viac, and the VWRL or VT in other broker since is cheaper as in viac? Is this what @glina is doing, right?

Ideally I would target an overall asset allocation that replicates the market capitalization ratios as closely as possible. In a perfect world this would mean just to take VT/VWRL and forget about it (keep it simple). As there are some special rules in the real world this is not possible. I would consider multiple approaches and it is totally up to you to come up with an additional one or pick one that suits you best:

Approach 1: Keep it precise
According to VT, Switzerland makes up for about 2.5%. Assuming that we correctly covered the Swiss market in VIAC, we would have to find funds that would cover everything ex CH (e.g. MSCI ACWI ex CH or MSCI ex CH) and invest the amount accordingly. For example:

37% of 6826 CHF in VIAC = 2526 CHF

2526 CHF ≙ 2.5% (CH) → 98514 CHF ≙ 97.5% (World ex CH)

This would leave us investing 98k in products World ex CH to rebalance the yearly investment in 3a (in and out of VIAC).

Approach 2: Keep it simple
Optimize what you can within VIAC and leave that be. Optimize what you can outside of VIAC and be happy with that.

I look at it from a cost perspective. Paying e.g. Swisscanto for the “World ex CH” solution (0.30%) costs me more money than I am personally willing to pay for eliminating the small misallocation.

(“World ex CH” (0.30%) - “VT” (0.09%)) * 98k = 205
(“World ex CH” (0.30%) - “VWRL” (0.25%)) * 98k = 50

Sure, you can do that. My questions would be: Have you run the numbers? How would you balance small caps/large caps (e.g. VT already contains small caps, VWRL does not)? Are there extra costs for doing so or would you save money?

I would definitely love to see the results if you do so! My personal gut feeling tells me that it probably wouldn’t be worth the extra-effort/extra-cost.

Anyone has thought about using this as an alternative to investing via broker/bank/roboadvisor, if you only plan to invest small amounts each year and you plan doing it for very long term?

In that case wouldn’t it be smart investing first in VIAC, you build the same portfolio as you would with your normal broker in VIAC, investing in it but reap the tax-benefits.

Thoughts why not?

You might start investing only 6k chf per year when you are young, but if you keep investing only that amount, you probably should check your budget…

On the long term someone said it’s better to invest outside 3a, even if you lose your 1st year tax advantages. Also note that if you are young and don’t earn much, the tax advantage is low as well, so maybe it never make sense to consider that an investment.
Having said that, I do invest with 3a anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is also quite difficult, given the overweighting enforced on the Swiss market.
(unless that’s what you would like to also do outside of VIAC)

you can build your own portfolio with VIAC…

Well, you could start by investing the first 6K into 3a, and the rest outside of it.

Where have you read that it’s better to invest outside of 3a on the long term? Can you give me a link, I’d be interested