2nd pillar choices

Hi all,

Just curious how the second pillar works out, my new employer says I must contribute 8% and they will match the same 8%.
Do I have any choice in this?
Are there laws saying how much one must contribute based on age?
Is my 8% calculated out of 100% of my monthly gross?
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi,

You must ask your company’s institution rules. There is a compulsory part (legal minimum contribution and legal minimum benefits) and sometimes an over-compulsory part (extra contribution and extra benefits, but benefits compared to cost are usually lower here). You never have anything to decide before you retire.

Hope that helps.

When switching jobs/pension funds, he could try to not have his benefits transferred to his new pension fund scheme but try to keep it in a vested benefits solution (though this would only make sense when investing said benefits in equity/REIT etc., as the interest rates/return on vanilla vested benefits accounts is much lower than in pension funds)

Hello Vlad,

Are you referring to a Swiss company operating a second pillar / Pensionskasse in Switzerland? What you are describing sounds more like a defined contribution plan like they have in the US (such as a 401k).

Hans

Hi @hanniss,

I’m talking about a swiss contract here, not US.
This is how they wrote it in the offer letter “subdivided employer’s contribution of 8% and employee’s contribution of 8%”, the pension leaflet is 48 pages and I can’t make sense of it all as it uses words and phrases I’m struggling to make sense of.
Bottom line is, any idea if I can adjust my personal contribution percent wise? Is that locked by Swiss law?

Thanks,
Vlad

I think it’s decided by your employers (and its pension committee), from what I understand it can differ quite a bit between companies. The law only mandates that employers contributes at least half.

Hello Vlad,

My bet is that you are dealing with Säule 2b, which is the überobligatorische Vorsorge. I.e., voluntary additional contribution, once you have maxed out the mandatory contribution, which tops out at a salary of 85´320.-. It seems they are matching up to 8% of your salary. I would grab that offer, given that a portion of those contributions can be withdrawn later to buy your residence (or start a business).

Hans

Biggest difference to 401k in the US is that your employer is forced to match the minimum requirement. I can set my contribution between 2.5-8%, my employer is at 6.5% no matter what I choose. So I’m at 2.5%.

Do assume that it is different with each company. For example in my company I could chose several plans of my contribution (5% - 13%) and the company matches those automatically between 9% - 15% (depending on your age).

And as well you could put more money into your 2nd pillow - so called buy-in. That was super interesting in the past, as in some cases the company did match your buy-in contribution as well. But I do assume that this is gone, unless for some high level contracts in management positions.

…and, as stated before, a minimum contribution - which, to answer the question from above, rises with age.

Thanks everyone,

I was searching for the minimum P2 contribution by age and found this in a pdf by Axa insurance
Can anyone confirm it’s accurate?
Thanks

1 Like

That’s correct. But keep in mind that it’s the total minimum, so both parties together. Your employer has to contribute at least 50% of it. Good pension funds contribute way more than they have to. Mine for example does (doesn’t matter how much I contribute):

20-34: 6.5%
35-44: 10.5%
45-54: 14.5%
55-65: 18.5%

1 Like

@Cortana: Mind disclosing who your employer is?
This is a very good offer. Usually only the state and state-owned companies pay these luxury contributions. I have never seen such rates at a private company. Usually they just stick to the law, i.e. they pay exactly the 50% of the minimal amount.

The problem with 2nd pillar in CH is that you cannot choose your pension fund. You just have to take what your employer is offering. If you are lucky, your company have a strong union which fought for better rates.
But generally speaking of “good pension funds” is useless, since you probably won’t choose your employer by the pension fund. However this might become a valid point when switching jobs at a certain age - if you have a good pension fund, then you are deadlocked in your company at a certain age.

1 Like

Also the minimums only matter up to 84k of salary. Which is I guess is how some employers manage to have overall contribution level below 18% regardless of age (if the salaries are higher than 84k).

1 Like

It’s one of the majors banks here in Switzerland, I don’t want to be specific because I want to stay anonymous (I talked way to much on changing employers, hiding 2nd pillar money etc.).

I would definitely choose my employer by pension fund if I was close to retirement (>10 years). The last 10 years make up a huge amount in total contributions and there are differences in the conversion rate when you retire.

I think it should be a factor at all times. It’s not just about salary, work place and distance to home. If I would get a job offer with a better salary but their pension fund contributions would be half of what I get now, should I really consider working there? I would take it into account, make the calculations and then decide.

1 Like

Ah, but most swiss employers would unlikely choose you when you’re 50+ :slight_smile:

There’s a huge ageism in swiss labor market

By reading and partipating to this forum, you confirm you have read and agree with the disclaimer presented on http://www.mustachianpost.com/
En lisant et participant à ce forum, vous confirmez avoir lu et être d'accord avec l'avis de dégagement de responsabilité présenté sur http://www.mustachianpost.com/fr/