1000000CHF's Journal

I did intermittent fasting for 2 years straight. 16h fasting/8h eating window.
It was very convenient. The only reason I dropped it was because I was playing a lot of sports and couldn’t reach the calorie intake I needed.

1 Like

16/8 every day? It sounds like a “late breakfast” diet basically. Eat a breakfast/znuni at 11, lunch at 13 and dinner at 19. You will have another 5+11 hours of fasting. As long as it takes you 1 minute to eat :slight_smile:

Yes, 16/8 almost everyday (some days was 17/7, others 15/9, but always around 16/8 :smile:) .

I was at the university and my schedule was more or less like this:
13h - lunch
16h - snack (before training)
21h - dinner

I was following the Leangains method:
https://leangains.com/the-leangains-guide/

1 Like

I guess I also fit in this 16/8 window, as my first meal is lunch at 12:00 and I generally stop eating at 20:00. And I wouldn’t call it fasting :slight_smile: .

Anyway, are there really benefits of such daily intermittent “fasting”? I heard a few times, that the body enters ketosis only after a few days of not eating carbs. So I always imagined that a fast would mean a few days without food (as it did happen to the cavemen, who definitely had more irregular eating patterns than we do).

Probably it depends on the level. From what I’ve read/watched even after night you’re in mild ketosis as your body during the night processed the glucose reserves.

I think this depends also on fasting interval, diet and activity. Basically the more carbs you eat, the less likely you’ll get into ketosis (you’ll have more glucose reserves to burn first). And the more glucose you burn (by exercising and thinking), the more likely you’ll get into ketosis.

I’ve got something new to share. Two interesting podcasts with James Clear about his new book on habits formation:

I also recommend his articles: https://jamesclear.com/articles

By the way, from James Clear I went to discovering behavioural scientists, and here’s one of the cool videos worth watching:

3 Likes

How do you like James Clear’s work compared to Charles Duhigg’s?
Although I liked Duhigg’s book, I find it hard to implement. Is it easier with James Clear?

That was exactly the point of Clear’s book - not to summary the neuroscience and psychology of habits formation, but rather to provide practical framework and methods around building new habits yourself.

1 Like

Speaking of self-help books, there’s new one by Robert Greene (unfortunately not yet available on libgen.io):

Since I had a conversation about learning programming and developing open-source projects with @ma0, I thought I’ll make public my idea:

I’m more interested in learning JS & TS for web development (both backend and frontend) and/or Python for data science and backend development (and perhaps Scala for distributed backend and Big Data). Next year, I’ll take some programming classes and I’ll start developing an open-source FinTech app for wealth management (based on Interactive Brokers API) and maybe other investing/personal finance/mustachian apps later on.

I thought about making it open source and free, but eventually, if it gets popular, start a Personal Finance & Wealth Management consulting startup along with it. Anyone else interested in something like that? Do you think it makes sense?

What do you mean by wealth management? A position keeping software (i.e what is the state of your portfolio), or with more active features, like for instance automation of investments? Can you tell what would be the main feature of your project?

Friend of mine told me once: “all modern business software is replacement of excel sheets”. That’s what I’d do in the beginning as well - I’d replace my excel sheet for portfolio state tracking and historical performance of my portfolio and comparisons with other potential portfolios/indexes. It could also show capitalization per country, per company size and per sector - and so on. I have in mind a tool that would be perfect to use for typical passive investor who would like to easily visualize his portfolio and returns (time weighted) and keep it optimized (by risk/return and TER).

What do you think about it? Would you prefer some other features?

So mainly a position keeping system (it’s the term used in the financial industry). Usually it shows performance/PnL for buy-side users (i.e funds), or your PnL and your risk(greeks : delta, gamma, rho and other fun stuffs) for the sell-side (i.e banks).

This is my specialty. I have worked 8 years on such softwares, either directly at the software vendor(3 years), or at a French asset manager specialized in issuing ETFs (2 years), or now in a sell side institution (3 years).

Such softwares designed for institutions are usually very complete and very expensive(for instance, the software I am specialized in has been created in 1985 and been constantly updated since). However I have no idea what are the current solutions for the retail investor, and I ignore as well what are the open source solution available right now. But if you want to start in this direction, I can give advices.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks Julianek, that’s very kind. I’ll let you know once I’ll start the project and I’ll have any technical questions.

I found something better even than Headspace:

1 Like

Thanks for the Inputs!

I also really this one: The Surprising Power of Small Habits | James Clear

1 Like

I didn’t watch that podcast, because it is 4 hours long. But one of the guys I’m subscribing put a summary of it, with fact checking. What I got from it was that the vegan (Kahn) was backing his claims with epidemiology studies. The low-carb omnivore (Kresser) was rejecting these studies, because correlation doesn’t mean causation. He points out that if you eat meat alone then it can be harmful but if you eat it with a lot of vegetables then it changes everything. Even he says 3/4 of your plate should be vegetables and only 1/4 meat.

I also stumbled upon a reddit which discusses the credibility of dr Greger (the one from How not to Die book). He is accused of cherry picking things that back his claims from the studies and does not present any existing counter-evidence. He’s been even called a fraud, who just flashes his MD title and indulges your confirmation bias, if you’re already decided that vegan is the way.

1 Like

I discovered Tim Ferriss and his books (especially The 4-Hour Workweek). I found it even more fascinating than FIRE idea. His approach really makes so much sense - especially for me in my current state, when I’m less and less excited with my office job. Long story short: he recommends outsourcing/optimization to release time and resources to be able to realize your passions in a series of frequent mini-retirements. I absolutely love the idea and I already think about taking a sabbatical some time next year.

I did read Tim a while ago. Don’t read it now. It’s a waste of time.
Some people will point out that he’s a douche and he had a huge network of people thanks to his family and so on…

He is/was a good aggregator of ideas I believe. Some of them are very useful. I did try his diet with a friend some years ago and it worked. Ofc I bunced back once I stopped (but at least slowly) :slight_smile:

As 99.9999% of the internet marketer, you need to have an idea to market before you can automate stuff around it.

1 Like