1000000CHF's Journal

I didn’t watch that podcast, because it is 4 hours long. But one of the guys I’m subscribing put a summary of it, with fact checking. What I got from it was that the vegan (Kahn) was backing his claims with epidemiology studies. The low-carb omnivore (Kresser) was rejecting these studies, because correlation doesn’t mean causation. He points out that if you eat meat alone then it can be harmful but if you eat it with a lot of vegetables then it changes everything. Even he says 3/4 of your plate should be vegetables and only 1/4 meat.

I also stumbled upon a reddit which discusses the credibility of dr Greger (the one from How not to Die book). He is accused of cherry picking things that back his claims from the studies and does not present any existing counter-evidence. He’s been even called a fraud, who just flashes his MD title and indulges your confirmation bias, if you’re already decided that vegan is the way.

1 Like

I discovered Tim Ferriss and his books (especially The 4-Hour Workweek). I found it even more fascinating than FIRE idea. His approach really makes so much sense - especially for me in my current state, when I’m less and less excited with my office job. Long story short: he recommends outsourcing/optimization to release time and resources to be able to realize your passions in a series of frequent mini-retirements. I absolutely love the idea and I already think about taking a sabbatical some time next year.

I did read Tim a while ago. Don’t read it now. It’s a waste of time.
Some people will point out that he’s a douche and he had a huge network of people thanks to his family and so on…

He is/was a good aggregator of ideas I believe. Some of them are very useful. I did try his diet with a friend some years ago and it worked. Ofc I bunced back once I stopped (but at least slowly) :slight_smile:

As 99.9999% of the internet marketer, you need to have an idea to market before you can automate stuff around it.

1 Like

There are a lot of reports calling that a scam. Be aware of that @1000000CHF.

I’ve seen them. They haven’t done anything yet except for promising for free their coins in the future. In any case, I only gave them my email, so I don’t care too much.

Friend of friend asked me to compile an intro into FI. So I thought I’ll shared it with others here:

Best Swiss FI forum:

Best Swiss FI blogs:

Best FI blogs:

Best FI blogs/podcasts:

Best FI websites/books:

More resources:

5 Likes

Today I learned:

Benefits of meditation are wide and well-documented. The interesting thing is that there’s a physiological reason behind it. Medicine in last years discovered a biomarker called Heart Rate Variability (HRV), which determines the hormonal economy of our body that affect mood, energy, willpower, well-being, and general health. There’re two ways to improve our HRV - it’s smooth and regular breathing (meditation) and invoking appreciation (gratitude).

Here’re few videos on that matter:

By the way, I’m getting constant Headspace ads on Facebook about the reduced price of $58 per year. So I decided to pay it. I will use Headspace for the next year and see if it really brings me any benefits.

If I really spend 10 minutes a day with the app, then it’s 60 hours in a year. That’s 1 CHF spent for every hour :wink: .

2 Likes

@Bojack if you are beginner in mediation then I highly recommend that you do more than 10min a day - try 20min a day. when you are more experienced then you can reduce to 10min a day. .

I thought it was exactly the opposite. If you are a beginner you get discouraged if you try to concentrate for more than 5minutes…

1 Like

yes i know they say that - consistency is the key and its easier to be consistent when you set yourself the smaller target of 10min a day instead of 20min a day. But the problem is that it can be hard for a beginner to get into the zone within 10min. But it certainly is better to do 10min every day rather than trying to do 20min every day and then end up doing it just once a week because you set your goals too high.

2 Likes

According to “Atomic habits” by James Clear, it’s even better to start from a minute or two, to let the repetions build up the habit in the brain, by wiring neurons that are getting executed together, and slowly increase bit by bit every day. This way it will be cheaper in terms of energy (glucose) that our willpower inevitably burns.

BTW. My reading update. I lately read three cool books:

• “Atomic Habits” by James Clear - best book on the psychology and practice of habit formation.

• “Personal MBA” by Josh Kaufman - best introduction to business administration and Entrepreneurship. @Julianek, you should like it, as he refers to Munger’s philosophy and mental models a lot.

• “Why Switzerland?” by Jonathan Steinberg - book on why Switzerland is awesome. It covers history, culture, politics and other aspects.

Currently reading: “Europe” by Norman Davies - gigantic book about the history of Europe.

I’ve also finished Personal MBA a couple of weeks ago and found it well written and quite interesting (not all chapters but still)

1 Like

@1000000CHF, could you lend me the “Why Switzerland?” book ?

I’ve got it from Bibliothek Zug.

Use NEBIS to find it.
https://recherche.nebis.ch/primo-explore/search?query=any,contains,Why%20Switzerland%3F&tab=default_tab&search_scope=default_scope&sortby=date&vid=NEBIS&facet=frbrgroupid,include,270018887&lang=en_US&offset=0

do you know if the zug library is in the nebis network ?

3 clicks and a bit of scrolling.
Let’s try not to be too lazy…

:slight_smile:

ma0, took you longer to type that than a ‘yes/no’ :wink: