I have collected various pieces of information regarding the obligation to pay the provisional bill (provisorische Rechnung) for the state and municipal taxes (Staats- und Gemeindesteuern) each year which are due each September.
According to the information from the finance department of the city of Zurich, here is my understanding:
- Payments made before 30.09 earn you interest (currently 0.25%)
- If the final bill comes out on date X and you paid less that you should, then you pay interest (currently also 0.25%) for the period from 30.09 until X for the remaining amount.
- If you do not pay the final bill within 30 days, you are charged 4.5% interest.
Here are my questions:
- Is the above correct? Can someone verify?
- Is it really obligatory to pay the provisional bill? Doesn’t it make more sense to pay the 0.25% interest and invest the cash isntead? Is there any other consequence for not paying the provisional bill, such as a debt register record?