Who wants it back to normal ? Investor dilemma?

There’s emotions on both sides, but the motivations of the vegetarians are much more solid than the ones of the meat eaters.

If science in the future will completely override today’s findings that meat consumption is one of the leading sources of greenhouse gases, then I’ll accept that. But the science of today is clear, AFAIU.

The reason is that the direction of the people. “meat eater” -> “vegetarians”, “car rider” --> “bike rider”. The “evolution” is from the first to the second. This makes always the second be or sound better than the first. The fact that it’s not a black and white thing means that the only thing that can be said is that you can say to some people that they need to moderate the first thing. Be eating meat or driving a car. Or anything else.

1 Like

Agreed, we have to move in steps to have people understand and agree to the process. But we also need to cut down our emissions by ENORMOUS amounts in a few years, if we want to keep the planet from warming more than 2 degrees on average…

This is not a myth, meat consumption, especially from beef, is an absolute disaster.

Those fake meat do look like resource intensive but nobody is saying that you should replace your meat consumption with that. Just eat Tofu. There is no way that soybean for human consumption are even on the same level of magnitude compared to beef meat in term of pollution. That is impossible because more than 90% of soybean meal is used for animal feed…

Just watch the video I posted

Sorry bojack. That’s a terrible video, Trump n Fox style.
It tries to spread doubt because numbers to CO2 amounts from different studies are different. So if numbers are different, let’s ignore the whole subject. Is it more or less than transportation? Who cares! That shouldn’t be the topic.
It gives many examples of why Americans not eating beef won’t change global warming or save the rainforest (effect too small). So let’s carry on and do nothing.
It compares eating beef to “fake meat” (beyond meat, impossible food). This is not the comparison to make, compare beef to normal fresh veggies.
And it says Americans are already eating less beef now than in 1970, like that is an achievement already.

One more - Can’t get over the video. :angry::wink:
They show a graph with meat consumption declining since 1970 & at the same time obesity and all that sh*t increasing and say “ha! Look at that.”
…and conveniently forget that over the same time Americans have become on average much more lazy-drive-everywhere-eat-processed-food-and-drink-coke-i-could-go-on-and-on. It’s shocking to see when you visit from Europe.

Healthy eating is expensive in the US… (I’m always surprised by how cheap fast food is there)

1 Like

Thank you for watching, sorry it grinds your gears so much :slight_smile:

You know, I tried the vegan diet for some time, I was buying a lot of tofu and lentils etc. But after a while this kind of food becomes so bland to me. It has almost no taste and the things you can buy in coop that should be protein-rich meat replacements taste very artificial. I cannot go on eating salads with beans all the time, after some time my body craves for a “juicier” hot meal.

I enjoy a visit at Hiltl or Tibits once a week, but I could not eat this kind of food every day.

This could be a contributor to obesity, but personally I believe an even bigger contributor is the excess carbohydrates that are being consumed. My parents have both been slim in their teens and are now obese, with some hints of high blood sugar, potentially diabetes in the making. I assure you they do not eat junk food. They cook their all food at home with quality ingredients. But they consume a lot of sweets, bread, potatoes etc.

My diet consists of a lot of meat, fat, cheese, milk, eggs and vegetables. I do not notice any weight problems so far, but of course I’m 20 years behind my parents, so we’ll see.