Where do you plan to FIRE?

I’m more of an Exit type before physical health becomes a burden on others. So 10 years in “paradise” doesn’t sound too bad to me.
Honestly I don’t even know how my next 5 years will look like so the idea about the house at the ocean was more like a dream FIRE situation. Should my marriage not last that long I would have 0 reasons to end up in Mexico vs. anywhere else in the world. Time will tell.

I’d rather not say now for privacy reasons. But not Ciudad del Mexico or Rio.

I was wondering though, that rather than drinking cocktails and being kidnapped, taxation would be a better reason to move abroad for FIRE. Some countries do not tax dividend income, others also no income or inheritance tax…

Yeah, let’s die rich.
Seriously don’t consider taxes as a reason to pick a place. Go where you’d like to live.

9 Likes

I will probably stay in Switzerland. But we will see how life changes plans.

1 Like

Switzerland. My family is here, and has been here for as long as we can go back, and my friends are here.

2 Likes

I will have to choose between Italy (could basically be FIREd already by some measures) and Switzerland (will need several more years). In any case I would feel better pulling the trigger only after the next serious bear market such that I can keep contributing to my funds when they are cheap.

That’s usually a topic that comes up with other FIRE followers, will your friends also be FIRE when you’re done? Otherwise you might end up having a lot of time but they won’t. So maybe it’s needed or better to find other friends in the same phase of life. But where would one go?

3 Likes

As much as I love how smoothly things run here and how clean and new/well maintained everything is here, I don’t want to work an extra 5–10 years to afford it. I’ll move to a warm and functional enough EU country (Portugal, some the islands around there, Spain, not decided yet) instead because my money would go much further.

I see your point but I don’t consider my friends to be expendable :smiley:

More seriously, I am part of a number of associations and clubs. What I see there is that the people who stopped working are more involved for a number of tasks requiring free time during the day but we are all together in the evening or week-ends. Having more energy also means that I can be the friend who takes the active part of contacting and organizing events. I have the feeling that sometimes we are all out of stamina to simply call each other to do something.

6 Likes

Having a good network and support system has been shown to have a big impact on quality and quantity of life. Not to mention, there is also a potential for economic benefit from this as healthcare is going to be one of our biggest costs at an advanced age. If you lacking a support system, then it is quite likely that you will have to check in to a retirement home earlier than someone with one.

So, if you already have that in Switzerland, it would be a big pro to FIRE here.

3 Likes