Where do you get your data feeds from?

Hi!

How do you get the current daily prices of your investments like ETFs and funds when you check your portfolio holdings against your asset allocation strategy to rebalance? Do you simply export it from your broker? Do you use external providers to automatically refresh? Any you would recommend?

Office365. Has a buildin stock plugin with realtime quotes. So I don’t even need to login into IBKR or VIAC.

2 Likes

I’m a google fanboy & I “swear by” Google Sheets & the formula:
=GOOGLEFINANCE(B3&":"&C3) where in cell B3 is the stock exchange & in C3 is the Stock quote.
Like SWX:NESN or SWX:VWRL.
Of course US, EU exchanges available too, and forex, for example =googlefinance(“currency:USDCHF”)

4 Likes

Mmh, I only have stocks & ETF’s, so a little überfragt on this point. If they’re traded/quoted on a stock exchange I’d say “probably yes”, if not, “probably no”. What’s an example of a Swiss mutual fund?

1 Like

For swiss data, I’m extracting them directly from SIX: https://www.six-group.com/exchanges/index_en.html

I like to cut the middleman and I don’t mind dealing with the 15 min delay (I’m mostly using closing prices anyway).

1 Like

Yahoo Finance or Finnhub

1 Like

Really don’t know, I think unlikely. I have Viac, but include that in my “annual check” only, i.e. I get those numbers “manually” from the Viac report.

As a workaround, for mutual funds following indices one could use the =GOOGLEFINANCE(“indexswx:smi”) for SMI and =GOOGLEFINANCE(“INDEXSP:.INX”) for S&P500 etc.

1 Like

How do you get VIAC funds (CSIF ?) ?

1 Like

Any one knows by chance if something similar is possible with LibreOffice for those who are less fan of Google?

1 Like

Morningstar has at least some of them:

Searching with the ISIN seems to yield results. I’m quite a bit disappointed to have to go that length to get it, both VIAC and CS should make it easily available, if you ask me (they don’t as far as I know).

It wasn’t easy to be honest. Some funds didn’t work at the beginning in Office365. I had to try different names (ISIN didn’t work) till I got the right one.

Well I found all VIAC funds, VT, VTI, VIOV, VEA and VWO. So everything what I need actually.

2 Likes

Most of the funds are available on Bloomberg, but I was speaking about Office365 or Google sheet

Could you share the Viac funds ISIN which are working?

4 Likes

CSIF (CH) III Equity World ex CH Pension Fund ZB
CSIF (CH) III Equity World ex CH Pension Fund ZBH
CSIF (CH) III Equity US Blue - Pension Fund ZB
iS NASDAQ 100 UCITS ETF (XSWX:CSNDX)
CSIF (CH) Equity Switzerland Large Cap Blue ZB
CSIF (CH) Equity Switzerland Small & Mid Cap ZB
CSIF (CH) I Equity Europe ex CH ZB
CSIF (CH) Equity Japan ZB
CSIF (CH) Equity Pacific ex Japan Blue ZB
CSIF (CH) Equity Canada ZB
CSIF (CH) Equity Emerging Markets Blue DB

I entered those as name then went to Data -> Stocks.

3 Likes

I looked them up on Credit Suisse and tried different names till I got the right one. Like you said, if only one letter is wrong or something is missing, you won’t get any results at all. Office365 really sucks regarding this! It was a pain in the ass to get all of them.

Looks like this now.

2 Likes

Speaking about Google Spreadsheets - you can quite easily scrap the information from the webpages. For example:

=IMPORTHTML(“https://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=TSLA,"table”,11)

Or when you get the source providing CSV file:

=IMPORTDATA(“https://stooq.com/q/d/l/?i=d&s=KGH&d1=20200901&d2=20200910”)

Having this imported, you can do whatever calculations/checks you want. It is also easy to take the parameters from other cells.

But I have another question (not sure if I should open different topic for it) - can you recommend any webpage/data feed allowing to quickly do something like for example:

Get the list of all tickers from specific market (hopefully Polish stock market too) for which the volume during last N sessions was bigger than X? I probably can use above formulas to get all the data for all tickers I’m interested in and do the math afterwards, but I hope that maybe something like this already exists?

2 Likes

For dealing with single stock price evolution I use https://themarket.nzz.ch/
I’ve once tried the demo account for free and it still works months after. To refresh the page automatically, I use a Chrome autorefresh plugin.
Was tired of not being able to sell on time with the 15minutes delay on Degiro

I just realized that Office365 has a 72-96 hours delay! What the hell? How didn’t I notice this before? I thought it was 15min, lol. It’s basically useless!

Trying to remake to whole thing in Google sheets now. Hopefully I get it working.

Google FTW! :smile:

Disclaimer: I own 2 GOOGL (Alphabet Inc Class A) shares!

1 Like

It works like a charm!

=IMPORTHTML(“https://www.morningstar.ch/ch/funds/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=F000000OPB","table”,4)

Using this formula for example to get all the VIAC/VP funds closing prices. They are all listed on the Swiss Morningstar webpage, so it’s easy to import the data.

4 Likes