When to start investing in ETFs

Why would they care? Qualified investors are allowed to hold it, and for the tax people it should just be like regular dividend from stock which is not restricted.

(Also tax people are not the same as the financial regulation people, unlikely that they care)

I suppose it’s rather the other way around: You will be allowed to buy it - but banks/brokers (marketing to the jurisdiction) won’t be able to “sell” it to you, that is to take and fulfil your order.

Regardless of whether you “allowed” to buy it, are U.S. fund distributions to Italian tax subjects refundable anyway?

Thanks guys! All great advice!
Already started my IB application :grinning:.
Probably will start investing monthly in VT for the most part. Tax laws can change any time and when/if I move is still undecided…

As I have part of the cash in EUR and want to also put a more weight on DACH in the portfolio, are there any good ETFs around?
Or what about some %positive EUR bonds?

Cheers
Woodman

1 Like

Why though? Why not entire Europe? Or any other country or group of countries?

You could buy euro government bond ETF to diversify a bit the risk, but I don’t have any specific recommendation. Check justetf.com

For negative yields, maybe? Personally I wouldn’t touch eur or chf bonds while they are negative.

Doesn’t matter if it’s from US if it’s hedged to eur.

1 Like

Even Greek bonds are on a good way to negative yields (currently 1%). And you even have junk bonds with negative yields!

2 Likes

Thanks for the great advice guys!
I just opened IB, exchanged CHF to USD and purchased my first VT shares. I have to say I first did not like the client portal interface at all (tried Swissquote and Cornertrader before). However, once I saw how great the exchange rates (I guess this is very important from a CHF perspective) and transaction fees are I was quickly convinced :grinning:

Regarding IB: Do you know where I can download my contract with them? Or is there just a general agreement? What is interesting is that I did not have to upload any proof of identity :thinking:… Did this happen to you as well?

Still looking for something to invest my EUR in (I currently have EUR and also plan to retire in the EU-Zone). Came across these two:
https://www.justetf.com/de/etf-profile.html?isin=IE00B1YZSC51
and
https://www.justetf.com/de/etf-profile.html?query=EXSA&groupField=index&from=search&isin=DE0002635307
Cheers,
Woodman

1 Like

Sorry… links updated.

The main reason I dont want to exchange EUR to USD is that I would like to hold some assets in EUR (to balance some FX risk) and also add more EUR Stock to my portfolio.

Ok, I will reach out to IB, very strange. For proof of residency, do you know if they require an actual, updated “Meldebestaetigung” (e.g. not older than a couple of weeks)?

Best,
Woodman

Here’s what IB considers as a valid proof of residency:

Please send ONE of the following documents for proof of your residential address:

• a bank account statement (not an online printout) less than 6 months old
  • a credit card statement (not an online printout) less than 6 WEEKS old
  • an electricity, gas or water bill (not an online printout) less than 6 months old
  • a phone bill (not mobile and not an online printout) less than 6 months old
  • a household or property insurance bill less than 6 months old
  • mortgage statement less than 6 months old
  • a government issued tax bill for personal or property tax less than 6 months old
  • letter issued by a bank or government
  • confirmation from the local authorities or house bank less than 6 months old.

Thanks - apparently IB verified me via the canadian company trulioo.com so I didnt had to upload anything.

Does anyone does know a decent ETF in EUR for EUR stock market? (VGK is in $ and IMEU iStocks i can only buy in GBP at IB)…

Thanks
Woodman

SXR7 (on Xetra) = CSEMU (on SIX)

TER is 0.12% and it covers the whole Eurozone area.

Why do you care about the currency denomination? FX is really cheap on IB, that really shouldn’t be a decisive factor.

1 Like

The exchange rate at IB is great. However, I have currently EUR and also want to invest in EUR and I plan to retire in the EUR-Zone as well. I have a concern that if all my portfolio is VT (USD) and lets say the USD is loosing significantly in value when I retire I want to sell my EUR ETF first…
what are your toughts?
CSEMU looks great, is there a distributing one as well?

Yup, from Xtrackers: XD5E
Same TER, good liquididty. Either in CHF on six or EUR on Xetra

Currency is irrelevant since your EURozone stocks that make a part of the VT will simply be worth more in USD if dollar loses against euro.

1 Like

Hmm but lets say five years, the EUR is getting stronger and therefore VT looses in value (more than 50% is in US-Stock). If I live in the EUR-zone and need money (meaning I need to sell shares) - isn’t it better to have another EUR portfolio I can sell? Also I plan to exchange some CHF to EUR when there are more drops in value, so that I can invest them in EUR ETFs…

• maybe it is not that simple, sorry I am a total newbie in this field.

Of course the majority of my portfolio will be VT (e.g. 80%).

Yes, if this is what you want to bet on (USD and US-stocks losing out to Europe), then you can achieve that by overweighting Eurozone. I can’t say if this is a winning strategy. Nobody can.

If USD falls in value, but the US-Listed companies continue to generate growth and profits in global markets, then their value in USD should actually rise because USD is just a piece of paper, but companies are real assets which have their value irrespective of currency.

2 Likes

The currency in which something is denominated doesn’t matter. The intrinsic value does.

If you buy a painting for 1k USD, if USD/EUR gets lower by half, it will now be worth 2k USD.

Things work mostly the same for company shares (not exactly because exchange rate might impact the performance of a company, but you can likely ignore it, esp. since most likely it won’t change the way you expect as many companies are global and have non-trivial global dependencies).

2 Likes

Interesting, I’m thinking ditching Europe completely and overweight US, Emerging Markets and Switzerland.

3 Likes