When do we reach the bottom of the dip? (2022-24 Edition)

Someone investing 2.1k/month and aiming for 2 million to retire managed to do it within 33 years :smiley:

So if you start investing in your 20s, you‘re highly likely to retire before 60 even if we experience a Japan-scenario globally.

3 Likes

Given the interest rate differential there’s no reason to believe it won’t continue to drop (or you could make a lot of money :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Is the drop really because of interest rate differential? If there would be no other factors at play this would be perfect carry trade and USD would rise against CHF.

The fact that there is a differential in forward interest rates is an indicator that the market believes USD will continue to depreciate against CHF. Otherwise it would be possible to borrow in CHF and invest in USD and make a profit.

1 Like

Aha, it’s not about spot. Always interesting to learn, thx.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: US Treasuries attractive?

I am following this guy with his sentiment indicators and find it very interesting.

Normal, with all the AI frenzy, it’s only tech that has been outperforming the last 60 days.
But what does it tell you about the future? Nothing, as your guess is as good as anyone’s.

"It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future." :sweat_smile:

On Friday VIX had felt to the levels last seen on February 14th, 2020. Don’t know what to think about it. On the one hand, it might show a significant level of carelessness from the market participants, that might lead to a decline of prices if they got spooked by something. On the other hand, VIX shows an implied volatility of 30-day options (or something like this), and I had read that there are now many more options expiration dates available and people use much shorter term options for hedging than it used to be, therefore current pricing of 30-days options and the corresponding implied volatility levels shown by VIX are not really comparable with the historical data.

1 Like

FYI that’s the main reason why there’s a VIX1 index now.

So inflation in the US went down from 4.9% to 4.0% in May 2023. It seems that the path is clear? Also for Switzerland which is close to getting in the desired 0-2% range. The increase next week by the SNB will probably do the final trick.

2 Likes

There might be a small uptick in YoY inflation over the next few months, especially with the widespread rent increases. I don’t expect consistent <2% YoY inflation before February 2024, possibly even quite a bit later.

2 Likes

US core inflation only went down from 5.5% to 5.3% though. Still quite far from the 2% mark.

US core inflation is below the FED rate. Meaning that unless there are any supply shocks, inflation should stabilize and come down. In Switzerland, we are still in a reverse situation and Europe is in a very difficult stage. Long story short - good outlook for the US Inflation, still negative outlook on EUR Inflation and we may be somewhere stuck in the middle at about 2.5 to 3% for another 18 months until our inflation comes down again.

1 Like

With the effective fed funds rate at 5.08% and core inflation at 5.3 . . . the short term real rates are still in negative territory.

Swiss inflation doesn’t yet show the rental increases coming due this fall. I got my letter yesterday, +5%… so for the foreseeable future, Swiss short term real rates are also negative.

And that’s before talking about the Eurozone, where inflation has been in the high single to mid double digits (8-22%) recently.

It will take a long time here to actually reach positive real rates, and I don’t think we’ve even began to see anything reprice for that.

1 Like

Huh? Is that a real thing? Can‘t recall.

1 Like

And sometimes you close your eyes
And see the place where you used to live
When you were young

1 Like

care to elaborate a bit more?