What's best to do with euros sitting around

Interactive Brokers…

3 Likes

hmmm never thought about that. so the flow would be:

1. from my CHF bank account to IB in CHF
  2. convert from CHF to EUR in IB
  3. transfer to my EUR bank account in country of destination

any challenges expected on step 3 since IB does not know this account? Any additional KYC processes that would cause delay?

1 Like

The destination account should be in your name. Otherwise no problem expected. You can try with a small amounts first.

1 Like

I did it many time and it is the best spot rate and lowest exchange fee (2usd for 25 k).
You will save 150-200 usd compare to Revolut premium for a lot of 25 k.

Hello dear Mustachians,

I’m lucky enough to have my parents donating me around 500K € from their savings.
What should I do with 500K€ in my bank account?
The idea is to use them as a down payment to buy a house here in CH in the next 2 or 3 years
What worries me is the FX rate, what is the best approach.
Should I change smaller amounts every month?

Thanks

T

1 Like

I would exchange the entire amount in CHF :slight_smile:

Now the question is where you should do it? IBKR (cheap), Traditional bank (expensive), others?

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I’ll look into ibkr,
The question is more, should I do it all at once or in split it in multiple times to minimize the impact of forex fluctuations?

1 Like

Change them to USD and invest in VT? :grin: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

If you search for “EUR” in the forum, you will find many threads where very similar questions were discussed.

But personally I decided to not keep any foreign currency in an amount higher than I need in next few weeks, for investments or a vacation.

2 Likes

Unless you want to invest in Swiss assets, I think a bit more diversification would be beneficial.

Remember that both your parents and you have to do a tax declaration, even if you do not have to pay taxes for Erbvorbezug from parents. As a result, you may have to transfer all at once.

1 Like

Just providing an update here. I followed the IB path and it worked well. Best rates even if it takes longer than Revolut or Wise. Definitely worth it for large amounts and if you plan it and are not in a rush it is the best option

5 Likes

Hello, long time reader of the blog here, but first time I’m writing in the forum!
I’m in a somewhat similar situation as the OP. A few days ago I got around 700k EUR from selling shares of a startup I was an early investor of.
My medium-term plan would be to invest part of the money in ETFs like VT or CHSPI, but at the moment I don’t like how the charts look. I know, maybe I should ignore the charts and just begin to invest, but even so, my strategy would be to dca and in the meantime I’d need a home for the money, possibly without negative interests and with a State guarantee. That’s why I already put 100k EUR on yuh and 100k EUR on Flowbank.
Short-term I’ll use some money to renovate my house and maybe to lower the mortgage if the interests are too high at expiration (one 300k tranche expires in two years).
My first question: what would you do with the EUR? The EURCHF chart looks quite bad right now, having touched the all time low, which could mean it will continue going down (if the SNB doesn’t step in at some point).
Second question: where would you put the money to avoid the negative interests? I could transfer them to my Swissquote account, which just canceled negative interests on EUR accounts, but I’m wondering if there are safer solutions (for example a low-fee Cantonal bank with State guarantee).
Maybe changing some EUR to CHF wouldn’t be a bad idea since it would be easier to spread the money into multiple low-fee 100k accounts (Neon, Zak, etc.), which would allow me to both avoid negative interests and lower risk in case of bankruptcy. But I would hate for the EUR to go back to 1.05 CHF after converting it :smiley:
Thanks in advance, looking forward to your insights!

1 Like

Congratulations !
It is good to secure some money.

Converting euro in chf as this rate is painful to me as I new the rate of 1,65 chf for 1 euro 11 years ago.

As an alternative, you could DCA on VERX the Euro Stoxx 600 version of vanguard quoting in euro and distributing euro dividend.
You could then convert your chf to usd and invest into VTI to be exposed to the US.

If you don’t intend on leaving Switzerland in the next few years, I would convert it to the local currency, at least the part you don’t want to invest right now. Otherwise you’re speculating on currency, which is also fine if you have a specific reason to do so, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

2 Likes

Different question: if you had 700k CHF, what would you do with it? If the answer is not “convert some of it to EUR”, I think you know what the rational thing to do is.

10 Likes

If you want a guarantee, I’m fairly sure you’ll need either to have negative interests (and get short term bonds), or split it into multiple banks.

Very few banks will have unlimited guarantee (if you truly want 0 risk).

Yes.

Why? We are more than 10% below all times high. And probably coming out of this year’s dip. Rates are high, future earnings are valued low. What else do you want?

Invest or change to CHF/invest in save CHF denominated assets. Keeping EUR cash is your worst option.

Btw in 2007 I was selling EUR for 1 EUR = 1.6 CHF I think :roll_eyes:

Seems like you ruled out investing it immediately in ETFs so you are not requesting advice on this point. However a couple of points I would consider in your shoes:

-Your 700k was 100% invested in a startup. If you were to invest it an ETF like VT you are staying invested and diversifying

-If you keep this amount in cash you are losing 3% p.a. in real terms/ 21k chf due to the combination of inflation and zero interest. Many banks will charge you fees. It is really a terrible time to be a saver and holder of cash

The right approach depends on your long term investment goals

If you do decide to keep cash: the Euro has declined vs CHF by ~2% pa since inception due to the structural differences between the economies and the futures market usually has that priced in to continue

[edit: having issues posting this due thread being split mid post]

3 Likes