What new (used) car to get? Diesel or petrol?

They might have fixed it by now. But I could get an Octavia RS booked for 24 months, 2000 down, 10k km a year for 330 CHF a month.

A new car? That’d add up to 9920 chf in total. What I never understood is: what happens after 24 months if I want to return the car?

If you are not going to buy anything else with them then good luck… they’ll x-ray the car and basically try to make you pay for any difference between your car and a brand new one… doesn’t make any sense and sounds exaggerated but the risk is real.
I’m not referring to any specific brand here…

If your lease is done you can hand back the car and walk away.

And if I look here I find something else:

What’s more important is what type of fuel that will be regulated to hell first. That is Diesel. I know its weird since Diesel has been shown to be kinder than Petrol long term and there are good low consumption diesel cars out there.
But I chose Petrol in the end for my new used car, since that will give me a few more years time to later maybe purchase a better electricity car then.
Europe is suffering from an electricity supply shock and the electric grid is not prepared for everyone to get electric cars.
It will only get worse as well, due to supposed “environmental parties” shutting down safe and efficient 4th generation nuclear power plants. Many european countries are expecting an electricity outage this winter, we’ll see how that goes.
Also the current stable of electrical cars are still not good enough for long term ownership. That’s why I personally would not get one now.

I would chose Petrol for now.

1 Like

Autobild belongs to Springer, the same company who also owns Bild (German equivalent to 20min). Usually, VW is winning the tests. Some people even spread rumours that it’s the “VW magazine”. Which is actually not far from the truth.

I thought I rembered an occasion where someone sued them and they lost, but my mind might trick me here. Anyway, I wouldn’t trust Autobild one single millimeter.

I would be very conservative: buy a car running with petrol that has an efficient engine.
Diesel looks like cost saving on the paper but the cost of ownership could go high due to the complexity of the fuel system and exhaust control system.
An electric car is the best choice if you have the solar panels to charge it. Otherwise your expensive electric car may well run from electricity produced from coal or natural gas.

Yeah… this is the theory. Try that: you’ll have a bad surprise (with most dealers at least, especially if the residual value of the car had been set artificially high in order to keep the monthly payment low)

I think an electric car should be better than a combustion engine one even if the electricity was produced by burning fossil fuels because of the much higher efficiency of a large power station compared to thousands of small engines.

1 Like

To each his own.

I am also prejudiced, certainly. I owned a Japanese car and expected much of it, and it was a nightmare. Now I have a German vehicle and it has been flawless, in its more than four years of ownership.

As I said above, good care is the most important factor, I believe, to improve on a car’s longevity and reliability. Look well after a badly engineered car and it might be better than a properly engineered car with a bad service record.

Same… After 12 years driving a Mazda 2 with 2 kids and being really frugal I am every few months tempted to buy a BMW

2 Likes

I’m on the reversed process. After pleasing myself with a 2017 BMW 3-Serie Touring, I’m about to buy back my leasing and sell this car for a late 2000’s Honda Jazz. The shock will be abrupt but according to my calculation, I would be able to save 630.- monthly compared to my current car situation.

My choice is also turned onto a 100hp atmospheric Japanese petrol engine, manual gearbox to reduce failure risks. Since I live close to the French border I’ll be able to fill it with E85 (little by little to let the ECU adapt to this new ethanol-based fuel). Surrounding gas stations currently sell at 0.80 euro/liter. Even with a slight increase in the average consumption (+/- 0.5l/km) the operating cost dramatically drops.

I’ve already experienced this fuel swap with a 2003 Toyota Yaris bringing the ratio to 80% Ethanol / 20% unleaded 98 with absolutely any issue (of course you won’t do that if you’re still under warranty).

I just bought an electric one.
Imported from EU. This allowed à 27% discount.
I paid 39k for the 52k Swiss version.
Kia E-Niro 64kwh XL.
In stock at the time of order. 1 week delivery time!

Keep in mind that model can be slightly different from CH version.

2 Likes

Lol, you do realize you can buy certified renewable energy sources locally. It may physically not be exactly that electron, but it does matter as a message if you subscribe to such plans, since they need to mandatorily create equivalent capacity with renewable energy

1 Like

Yep !

100% hydraulic or 50/50 hydraulic and solar.

1 Like

I’m back. With more proof.

Japanese cars aren’t any better off than ofher brands.

Thank you for all those inputs. To resume, electric car is the must and German cars can be reliable. I can go convince my wife with now proof that, as refere by a really serious Internet community, I definitly should buy a BMW i8. There is like no other reasonable options, for me, for her, for the planet !
:innocent:

1 Like

That one is hybrid :sunglasses: and now is discontinued. May I suggest a Porsche Taycan ? :grimacing:

4 Likes

I took a KIA for the 7y warranty.
VW has 2…