US Withholding tax

I live in the canton of Zurich. In 2023 I created an interactive brokers account and bought some ETFs (VT, VHT, EDV and others). All had US domeciles. From these I received a total dividend of 5085.41 CHF and 762.81 CHF are listed under withholding tax for that year by IBKR. A year or so ago I filled out that form on the interactive brokers webpage that automatically lets you reclaim 15 % of the withholding tax. The other 15 %, so I read online, I could reclaim through my tax declaration. But some weeks later I received a letter from the tax people in Zurich that I would only get 492.40 CHF back. I emailed the tax people and received an answer I do not understand. From reading the letter they sent me I calculated that they only refunded me 9.691 % (which is my total tax rate) of that initial 15%. But I do not understand why. Can you guys help me out and explain? I do not understand much about this subject. So maybe keep it simple :wink: Also, I need to know if there are other claims I can make at foreign tax agencies? Or can I do something to reclaim the full 15 % next year?

I am going to attach some screenshots of the relevant documents. Thank you so much in advance.

Here is what the tax people replied via email (german):
Wie bereits im Brief erwähnt wurde ist dieser Faktor beim Steuerrückbehalt-USA entscheidend:

Interactive-Brokers Dividenden:

Der zusätzliche Steuerrückbehalt USA ist ein in der Schweiz auf Dividenden und gegen Coupons zahlbaren Obligationenzinsen vorgenommener zusätzlicher Abzug.

Erhält der in der Schweiz steuerpflichtige Antragsteller, Erträge direkt auf eine amerikanische bzw. sonstige ausländische (nicht schweizerische) Zahlstelle, wird dieser Ertrag nicht um den zusätzlichen Steuerrückbehalt USA gekürzt. Auf diese Erträge kann kein zusätzlicher Steuerrückbehalt USA gewährt werden.

Anbei sende ich Ihnen zusätzliche Informationen zum Steuerrückbehalt USA:

Falls es sich nicht um einen Fehler der Bank handelt, wurden die 30% Quellensteuern direkt von den US-Steuerbehörden einbehalten (siehe FATCA bzw. W-8Ben).

Der zusätzliche Steuerrückbehalt USA (15%) muss auf der Abrechnung explizit separat vermerkt sein (“Zusätzlicher Steuerrückbehalt USA 15%”), da dieser nicht von den US-Steuerbehörden einbehalten wird, sondern von der inländische Bank direkt an die Eidgenössische Steuerverwaltung in Bern abgeliefert wird.

FATCA

Mit dem Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act vom 18. März 2010 (FATCA) wollen die USA erreichen, dass sämtliche im Ausland gehaltenen Konten von Personen, die in den USA der unbeschränkten Steuerpflicht unterliegen, der Besteuerung in den USA zugeführt werden können. FATCA wird ab 1. Januar 2014 schrittweise anwendbar.

FATCA verlangt von ausländischen Finanzinstituten (foreign financial institutions/FFIs), dass sie sich bei den US-Steuerbehörden (Internal Revenue Service/IRS) registrieren und gegebenenfalls einen FFI-Vertrag abschliessen. Als Finanzinstitut gilt, wer für Dritte direkt oder indirekt Konten oder Depots führt (Banken, Lebensversicherungen, Anlagefonds, Stiftungen usw.).

In einem solchen FFI-Vertrag verpflichtet sich das Finanzinstitut, die von ihm gefĂĽhrten und von US-Personen gehaltenen Konten zu identifizieren und dem IRS periodisch ĂĽber die Beziehungen mit diesen Kunden zu rapportieren. Soweit erforderlich muss es hierzu vom Kontoinhaber eine entsprechende Zustimmung einholen. Wird die Zustimmung nicht erteilt, gilt der Kontoinhaber als nichtkooperativ und unterliegen Zahlungen zugunsten dieses Kunden einer Quellensteuer von 30%.

Weigert sich ein ausländisches Finanzinstitut, einen FFI-Vertrag abzuschliessen, obwohl es hierzu verpflichtet wäre, gilt es als nichtteilnehmend. Amerikanische Finanzinstitute und teilnehmende ausländische Finanzinstitute müssen auf allen aus den USA stammenden Zahlungen an ein solches nichtteilnehmendes Finanzinstitut eine Quellensteuer von 30% einbehalten, selbst wenn die Zahlung zu Gunsten eines nichtamerikanischen Kunden erfolgt.

Anträge auf Rückerstattung der in den Vereinigten Staaten oder in Drittstaaten abgezogenen amerikanischen Steuern sind auf den amerikanischen Steuererklärungen (Form 1040 NR für natürliche Personen; Form 1120 F für Gesellschaften) beim Internal Revenue Service einzureichen.

W-8BEN

Laut US-Gesetz liegt der Steuersatz fĂĽr Privatpersonen in der Regel bei 30%. Auf Grund eines Steuerabkommens zwischen den USA und der Schweiz, profitieren Schweizer Steuerzahler von einem verminderten Satz von 15%. Ein Kunde mit Steuersitz in der Schweiz wĂĽrde daher eine Nettogutschrift von 85% des ausschĂĽttungsgleichen Ertrags erhalten, an Stelle von 70%.

Mit Unterzeichnung des Formulars W-8BEN («BEN» für «Beneficiary») bestätigt der Kunde der Bank gegenüber seinen Status als Nicht-US-Person. In der Folge unterliegt er nicht der beschriebenen US-Quellensteuer (30%). Das Formular W-8BEN darf und wurde von den meisten Schweizer Banken durch ein eigenes Formular, meist in der Form eines Fragebogens, ersetzt.

Das Formular W-9 wird von denjenigen Bankkunden unterschrieben, die US-Personen und bereit sind, ihre Identität dem IRS gegenüber offenzulegen.

Das Formular W-8IMY («IMY» für «Intermediary») ist vom zuständigen Organ einer Flow-through entity zu unterzeichnen und zuhanden der Bank einzureichen. Darauf wird bestätigt, dass die Flow-through entity nicht Beneficial owner der entsprechenden US-Wertschriften ist. Die Formulare W-8BEN resp. der bankeigene Fragebogen sowie W-8IMY verbleiben in der kontoführenden Bank.

Sämtliche Formulare und die dazugehörenden Instruktionen sind auf der IRS-Webpage zugänglich:

http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/forms_pubs/index.html"

Die Kantonale Steuerbehörde nimmt keinen Kontakt auf bei der US-Steuerbehörde. Dies muss der Pflichtiger selber erledigen.

You can’t reclaim the 15% US withholding tax. You get a tax credit. The USA keeps the 15%. Switzerland only credits what you would owe in Switzerland. You would have paid 492.40 on those dividends in Switzerland. Now you pay 0.

Else Switzerland would pay you more money than it got from you (only so you can give it to the USA).

Additionally, they say that you actually paid 30% withholding tax at IBKR instead of the 15% treaty rate. That is a problem between you, IBKR, and the USA (solvable by filling the W-8BEN form at IBKR). Switzerland doesn’t care because IBKR is not a Swiss broker.

7 Likes

Possibly the U.S. IRS, if more then the treaty rate of 15% was withheld there.

I read your post twice. It seems like two different things are going on

1. they are talking about 30% deduction but I only see 15% in your post (761 CHF on dividends of 5085 CHF) Not sure why you claimed 761 + 761 twice?

2. the first half is another topic and is explained below . The second half is most likely an error in filling the form. Could it be that you filled DA-1 incorrectly and asked for 761 + 761 = 1522 CHF in total? Normally when you use international broker, you need to uncheck a box. If you use Swiss broker then that box can stay unchecked.

-2——

Only @jay can help you understand :slight_smile: based on this thread DA-1 Refund calculation - #2 by jay

My understanding is that you cannot take advantage of two things together

• you first asked for deduction of 0.3% of the ETFs held at IBKR but
  • then you also asked for credit for Dividend tax which US took
  • tax office is just trying to find the fair number which makes sense to them.

Imagine you had 200 K USD VT at IB. You asked for 600 USD deduction for the costs of managing the security. Then you asked also for 600 USD credit for tax that was withheld. Total 600 USD reduced from taxable income and 600 USD credit for tax due. Let’s assume your marginal tax rate is 30%. This results in total saving of 600 x 30% + 600 = 780 USD. I think tax office will not give you 780 USD back. It would be something close to 600 USD. I just oversimplified but just trying to give a feeling of what’s happening. If you read the thread I linked, you will understand more detail

——

P.S -: I think the ZH tax software terms can be misleading. There is a difference between

• foreign tax WHT (this is what US withheld)
  • steuerruckbehalt USA ( this is what Swiss broker will withheld on top)

For first few times, I always entered the numbers in second section but tax office corrected them back to first section.

1 Like

Add the 0.3% deduction of wealth and the tax savings + the actual refund. It probably adds up to the 15%

I read somewhere that the 0.3% you deduct is taken into account here.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies.

I did fill out the W-8BEN form and therefore only 15% were withheld, not 30%.

I guess I must have filled out the DA 1 form incorrectly then. A pity I cannot go back and check what form would have been the right one. Will do that next year :saluting_face:

So, to summarize taxes on Dividends for US domciled ETFs on IBKR:

• Fill out W-8BEN to get back 15% withholding tax directly at IBKR (:white_check_mark:)

• Indicate your dividends and withholding tax in your tax declaration to get back part of the other 15% capped at your total tax rate + management costs (:white_check_mark:)

• indicate your management costs in your tax declaration (:x:)

I did not indicate any management costs in my tax return. Should I have done that? (I use IBKR which does not charge me for my accounts, only for trades and my local bank also does not have account charges). Is there a flat fee? Do I need proof?

Flat rate is 0.3% for securities held and managed by 3rd parties. No proofs needed. That’s the process in Canton ZH. Other cantons might have different situation

Just be aware that this number will be used to offset the refund for DA-1. But that is already clear to you based on this year return.

That’s canton dependent no?

Ahh. Sure
For ZH that’s the rule. I should qualify my comment

Somehow in my mind everyone lives in ZH :wink:

1 Like

So there is actually no point in doing it?

No I mean the number actually impacts the refund because you won’t get the money twice. It’s not a 1-1 offset.

There is a complex calculation that is used by tax office to make a fair refund. It was discussed in detail on this forum about how it works

1 Like

So that means one should deduct the 0.3%? If you do that you will be able to get back more money right?

If you live in ZH, then yes you can declare 0.3% of your securities in the section of deductions. There is a specific section for third party costs

The final calculation will be done by tax office

For other cantons I do not know.