US-ETFs (VT for instance) not available anymore in Switzerland?

Maybe they should check out the draft circular, which explicitly exempts foreign brokers.

1 Like

The law is available here:
https://www.efd.admin.ch/efd/fr/home/dokumentation/nsb-news_list.msg-id-76957.html

@nabalzbhf Which article mention this information ?
Art 2 mentionned
The following are not considered to be financial services within the meaning of para. 1:
a. financial services provided by foreign providers in the context of
a customer relationship established at the customer’s express initiative;
b. financial services that the client has requested by correspondence from
abroad

2 Likes

Yes, that article should cover the reverse solicitation (which likely allow foreign brokers to let clients trade US ETFs, I guess they just need to make sure they aren’t marketed actively).

And I just skimmed the explanations, they explicitly say increasing a position is fine:

si un investisseur augmente le volume d’un instrument financier qu’il a acquis prĂ©cĂ©demment de sa propre initiative

2 Likes

So now I should buy every ETF that would be interesting in the future? Just to be able to buy more?

If this holds it’s very good news!

IMO they could also let you buy new stuff if it’s purely initiated by you, but up to them what they implement.

Well it still depends what the brokers decide to implement, if they find it simpler to drop trading they still can.

1 Like

EDIT: based on the feedback from @nabalzbhf, my interpretation is wrong

Seems that foreign broker won’t be impacted:
https://www.newsd.admin.ch/newsd/message/attachments/58957.pdf p.18-19
Cela signifie également que les services financiers de prestataires étrangers ou de succursales étrangÚres à des succursales étrangÚres de clients en Suisse ne sont pas considérés comme fournis en Suisse.

1 Like

btw IB has a job opening in Zug

Is there a German or English version?

English no, german: https://www.newsd.admin.ch/newsd/message/attachments/58956.pdf
I would wait on the feedback from the brokers (I’ve already asked Swissquote), because the subject is quite complex and at the end would depend on how the brokers will implement this law.

1 Like

FYI that’s not what it says, it means if a foreign entities provides services to a foreign subsidiary of a swiss entity, it’s not considered as happening in Switzerland.

Apply! We need a Mustachian man inside IB :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Currently the bank or broker, where you buy your funds is liable if this KIID or maybe later PRIIP is missing. So theoretical, you buy VTI and SQ or IB don’t show you the regulatory document before you click on “buy”, they might be wide open for a legal case. For example in a crash situation and you lost 40%, you can claim that loss by not regulatory correctly been informed by your broker/bank.
So normally the mechanism is that the broker/bank send an note to the issuer, that from date x they can’t sell their product anymore, unless the issue provides those documents. This is covered in the FIDLEG which goes live 01.01.2020. But as I understand those requirements are still kinda a moving target and there is a transition period.

1 Like

That’s what is being discussed upthread, the final circular + commentary was published.

To quote:

“Klar ist nach der Praxis, dass Finanzdienstleistungen insbesondere dann in der Schweiz erbracht werden, 
 wenn der Finanzdienstleister 
 als ausländischer Finanzdienstleister in der Schweiz zumindest eine faktische Zweigniederlassung oder Vertretung betreibt oder etwa auch dann, (3) wenn er als ausländischer Finanzdienstleister tageweise Kundenberaterinnen und -berater in die Schweiz schickt, die hier etwa in Form von Road Shows Kunden ansprechen.”

Which they do. At least to institutional clients.

Arguing that there are not catering to individual investors in such a way seems getting into the finer techicalities. Perhaps somewhat ironically, it is anecdotally contradicted by the very man and chief Mustachian, Mr MP himself on his website lauding IBKR’s representation within Switzerland for their personal advice and support:

:nerd_face:

And their use of of a .ch domain for advertising their accounts to institutional and individual investors and traders alike might be further evidence of their catering to Swiss individual investors, as opposed to merely reverse solicitation.

1 Like

UBS gives on this page Financial Services Act (FinSA) | UBS Switzerland the following statement:
“Following the introduction of FinSA, a Key Information Document must be made available when giving private clients personal recommendations for financial instruments.”
Would this sentence mean if no recommendation is given, the KID is not mandatory?

For me, this is linked to the execution only exception mentioned in the article 11

Art. 11 ExĂ©cution ou transmission d’ordres des clients
Al. 1
On prĂ©cise ici qu’en cas de transactions execution only, l’ordre du client est passĂ© sans conseil
prĂ©alable. Le client agit seul et de sa propre initiative. En l’espĂšce, l’existence Ă©ventuelle d’une
relation contractuelle entre le client, d’une part, et le prestataire de services financiers, d’autre
part, ainsi que la nature de cette relation (p. ex. contrat de conseil en placement) importent
peu.
Al. 2
La disposition prĂ©cise que l’obligation de mettre Ă  disposition une feuille d’information de base
ne peut pas ĂȘtre inconditionnelle conformĂ©ment Ă  sa portĂ©e et son but. On peut exiger du
prestataire de services financiers ni plus ni moins qu’il fasse les efforts qu’on peut raisonnablement attendre de lui pour dĂ©terminer si une feuille d’information de base existe ou non. Il
s’agit gĂ©nĂ©ralement d’une recherche sur Internet. Étant donnĂ© que l’on peut partir du principe
que les feuilles d’information de base sont, dans leur grande majoritĂ©, publiĂ©es gratuitement
par le producteur sous forme Ă©lectronique sur Internet (cf. art. 66, al. 2, en relation avec
l’art. 64, al. 2, LSFin), elles devraient se trouver facilement avec une recherche correspondante. Il se peut aussi que certaines prestations en lien avec l’établissement et la mise Ă  disposition de feuilles d’information de base apparaissent sur le marchĂ© et facilitent la recherche
de feuilles d’information de base.
Al. 3
Au niveau du contenu, la disposition s’appuie sur l’art. 15, al. 2, de cette ordonnance. Cette
disposition met en Ɠuvre l’art. 9, al. 2, LSFin, qui permet, avec l’approbation des clients, de
ne mettre Ă  disposition la feuille d’information de base qu’aprĂšs la conclusion de l’opĂ©ration en
cas de conseil entre absents. Cette possibilitĂ© lĂ©gale doit aussi s’appliquer lorsqu’il s’agit d’une
opĂ©ration se limitant Ă  l’exĂ©cution, donc Ă©galement d’une opĂ©ration entre absents (qui rĂ©sulte
ici de l’initiative d’un client

Art. 11 AusfĂŒhrung und Übermittlung von KundenauftrĂ€gen
Absatz 1
Hier wird klargestellt, dass bei sogenannten execution only-Transaktionen der Kundenauftrag
ergeht, ohne dass vorher eine Beratung erfolgt ist. Die Kundin oder der Kunde handelt allein
und auf Eigeninitiative. Ob daneben eine vertragliche Beziehung zwischen Kundin oder Kunde
einerseits und Finanzdienstleister anderseits besteht und welcher Art diese allenfalls ist (z.B.
ein Anlageberatungsvertrag) spielt dabei keine Rolle.
Absatz 2
Die Bestimmung stellt klar, dass die Verpflichtung, ein Basisinformationsblatt zur VerfĂŒgung
zu stellen, nach deren Sinn und Zweck nicht grenzenlos sein kann. Vom Finanzdienstleister
ist nicht mehr aber auch nicht weniger zu verlangen, als dass er die von ihm vernĂŒnftigerweise
zu erwartenden Anstrengungen unternimmt, um festzustellen, ob ein Basisinformationsblatt
besteht oder nicht. Dies dĂŒrfte in der Regel eine Internetsuche sein. Da davon auszugehen ist,
dass BasisinformationsblÀtter grossmehrheitlich kostenlos durch den Ersteller in elektronischer Form im Internet veröffentlicht werden (vgl. Art. 66 Abs. 2 i.V.m. Art. 64 Abs. 2 FIDLEG),
dĂŒrften sich durch eine entsprechende Suche BasisinformationsblĂ€tter ohne Weiteres finden
lassen. Allenfalls werden sich im Markt auch gewisse Dienstleistungen im Zusammenhang mit
der Erstellung und ZurverfĂŒgungstellung von BasisinformationsblĂ€ttern etablieren, welche die
Suche nach BasisinformationsblÀttern erleichtern werden.
Absatz 3
Die Bestimmung orientiert sich inhaltlich an Artikel 15 Absatz 2 dieser Verordnung. Jene Bestimmung setzt Artikel 9 Absatz 2 FIDLEG um, welche es mit Zustimmung der Kundin oder
des Kunden erlaubt, ein Basisinformationsblatt bei Beratung unter Abwesenden erst nach Abschluss des GeschĂ€fts zur VerfĂŒgung zu stellen. Diese gesetzliche Möglichkeit muss auch
dann greifen, wenn es sich um ein execution only-GeschÀft handelt, also ebenfalls um ein (hier
sogar auf Initiative der Kundin oder des Kunden zustande kommendes) GeschÀft unter Abwesenden.

You need to match the commentary to the circular though. The things you quote are commenting the definion of “in Switzerland” (Art 2, Al 1). Alinea 2 is the carve out that likely applies to foreign brokers like IB.

That’s without counting on the fact that execution-only / reverse solicitation is likely allowed even for Swiss brokers, I haven’t parsed everything but IMO that’s what Art 3 Al. 5 and 6 point to:

• Al 5: there’s some kind of active marketing condition, the commentary even has the example of “if the client has to login to the platform to trade it isn’t a public offer in the context of the regulation”
  • Al 6: showing lists of ISIN and similar does not constitute a public offer

Anyway if even UBS thinks so, I’m even less worried (not that I was much worried to begin with, it was pretty clear that the outcome they wanted, when I skimmed the parliamentary debate it was explicitly cited as something they wanted to allow, unlike the EU regulation).

Absolutely - I was just referring to the suggestion above IB that foreign brokers would not be impacted (wapiti’s post above).

Even without MPs blog post, when it comes to availability of US ETFs at IBKR, I would rather bet that it would be due to the execution-only provision, not their supposedly foreign status.

I just got a feedback from Swissquote. They told me that there will be no impact on trading US ETFs.

11 Likes