The Swiss Antimustachian-Wall-of-Shame-and-Comedy

saw this one on facebook today. shopping spree :smiley:

at least the idea of re-selling it could qualify as somewhat mustachian :smiley:

1 Like

Wrt roaming

I moved to Switzerland from the UK about two months ago and I still don’t have a Swiss SIM. My UK provider includes Switzerland in the EU roaming zone so I pay no roaming charge for being in Switzerland and it works out way cheaper than any Swiss SIM I have found so far. It might change with brexit but meanwhile I see no good reason to get a +41 number.

1 Like

Found another one:

“shoes must cost hundreds of Francs! cheap shoes for CHF 150? fuck off, idiot!”

3 Likes

Keeping up with the Joneses - now also with clothing. Haha! Incredible how the author writes about savers and somewhat more frugal people. Thanks for sharing, made my day!

Wer rechnet kauft im Globus!
Engl.: Globus - for miscalculators only!

4 Likes

I actually would love this. Is it painted or is it a simple print?

Ha yeah I have seen those ads in the tram
 Those design furniture are insanely expensive for what they are
 I recently ordered 4 copies of The Eames Plastic Chairs, on amazon for 76 euros
 I couldn’t believe it when they got delivered directly in Zurich by the german company. The quality of the chairs is rather decent as well
 Just the plastic of the back is a bit thin. Otherwise it is hard to notice the difference.

unfortuanately only in german:
“Why the hell would you want financial independence??”

an article on Spiegel Online about financial independence, which is not that bad, but has hilarious comments, 100% negative on the topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can give my comment to one of the comments:

Richtig ist sicher: “Aussteiger mĂŒssen bereit sein, von Anfang an konsequent einen Großteil ihres Einkommens zu sparen”. Aber genau das wollen viele nicht, weil sie ihr Leben als junge Menschen genießen wollen

It’s true that most people want to live at the maximal level that their salary allows. That means no savings, working until you hit retirement age and then reducing your spending and living off your pension.

And can you really blame them? Future is very unpredictable. You may want to enjoy your young years, because maybe you die in an accident or due to a terminal illness. The probability speaks against it, but we only have one shot at living our life.

• If you save 50% of your earnings and die the day you hit FIRE, the joke’s on you!
  • If a war starts and you lose your possessions, the joke’s on you!
  • If you hit the ripe age and simply don’t enjoy things as you did when you were young, the joke’s on you

1 Like

That’s why I think FIRE makes more sense for people with kids. You know that they’ll use the money, in case you won’t.

3 Likes

Here’s a big fail of mine:

I was in london, needed a bit of cash
“ah lets get some from the ATM via credit card”
“yes, recipe please”
“You just got 60 GBP. because you are so dumb we add a markup of 10.5% for the conversion.”
two days later, i see in my bank statement (post finacne):
cash widthdrawel fee CHF 10
*facepunch :see_no_evil::poop:

so i “bought” 60 GBP for CHF 96.23, wit all in all 23% of loss vs interbank-exchange rates. O M G

may you be reminded on this when you next time need some foreign cash :smiley:

4 Likes

this is just criminal activity. well, keep my fingers crossed for revolut even more

Using a Credit Card in an ATM is really a bad experience, if it’s not a Revolut. I did it with the Revolut and was cool to feel my phone buzzing even before I took the money out of the ATM :slight_smile: 0 fees.

If you really want to rant, please direct it to the real robbery, “Direct Exchange” or whatever is called. There are a couple of such criminal organizations around the world. If you go to a turistic place and note “strangely” that there is 1 ATM every 10 meters, well you are in the land of the criminals. They basically offer a normal atm, but once you put in a debit card of any country (note, country! not currency!) they will ask you:

Do you want to risk your life and spend sleepless nights waiting for your own bank (that you trust) to pick an exchange rate or you prefer to get our sweet exchange now and feel better?

Yes/No ?

If you pick No, they will ask

Are you sure of not being sure of having not chosen the not exactly best answer available or what?

If you pick the wrong answer, they will make a direct exchange on the spot and guess what? 15-20% higher than the amount that any shitty bank will ever make to you. I feel into their trap at the second question. Tricky bastards. This should be very illegal. The rate is really that bad.

Note also that they put a big fat warning that once you press a button,you accept their exchange. I suppose they got sued a lot of times.

Side note: I did write that they check the country of the card, not the currency. I was in germany with the postcard EUR and they wanted to exchange my currency. What??? EUR-CHF-EUR?? Ofc. I did press cancel and picked another ATM.

3 Likes

:smiley:

5 Likes

Here a dessid with quite descriptive title:

Travelex at LCY:

GBP cash also available, at a transparently stated exchange rate margin of only “10.49%”, when withdrawing with a Swiss card (though I don’t have a picture, unfortunately).

2 Likes

What about these two devices:

2 Likes

I remember Juicero but IIRC they went bankrupt 3 years ago. I think it was one of the worst ideas I’ve come across recently.

I thought exactly the same, that idea was there before, super hipster, and went bancrupt. omg people, just eat the whol fruit and don’t miss out all the valuable stuff that is left behind otherwise :smiley:

1 Like

The Cleanyst is sort of picking up on that idea.

If I need to dissolve something in water and shake it, I can do it by hand.