Swissquote Invest Easy

It seems there is a new option for cash saving with SQ: https://en.swissquote.com/investing/invest-easy

1%, with a withdrawal limit of 25k per months.

Not too bad….

Thoughts?

1 Like

What are the fees for the savings account? I clicked through to open one online and it looked like it wanted me to open a trading account.

From https://en.swissquote.com/trading/pricing/account-fees it looks like it would cost 20 CHF per quarter or 80 CHF per year, which would lead to a significantly reduced effective interest rate depending on the amount being deposited.

1 Like

According to https://en.swissquote.com/investing/invest-easy#faq, “Invest Easy’s Saving strategy is fee-free.”

Not sure if the money put into this product will be considered as cash?

1 Like

FYI - got such an answer from SQ about this product (Invest Easy Savings Strategy):

We hereby confirm that the saving strategy is as per the FAQ is fee-free.
Please note that custody fees are only charged on securities and crypto assets and not on cash assets.

So I decided to open it and keep our emergency fund there. Not sure if because of that or just by coincidence, I found such message in my inbox:

Dear Client,

We hope that you are completely satisfied with the services provided by our bank and with your ePrivate Banking account.

The purpose of this letter is to draw your attention to a recent change to the Swiss rules on collective investment schemes (also known as “funds”).

When a client asks a Swiss bank to manage assets under an asset management mandate, the law states that he or she may be regarded as a qualified investor for the purposes of Swiss fund law. This allows the bank to invest not only in products such as equities and funds authorised for distribution in Switzerland, but also in funds not authorised for distribution in Switzerland.

When you opened an ePrivate Banking account, you gave us a mandate to manage your assets. As you are aware, we offer asset management based on equities and exchange traded funds (ETFs). As a reminder, an ETF is a collective investment scheme that differs from a traditional fund in that it is listed on the stock exchange, like an equity. Most ETFs replicate a stock exchange index and therefore offer good diversification, while generating costs lower than those incurred by traditional investment funds. Some of the ETFs available in an ePrivate Banking account are not authorised for distribution by the Swiss market regulator, but by a foreign regulator offering a guarantee comparable to Swiss authorisation; however, they are all listed on a reputable stock exchange.

None of this has been affected by the recent amendment to the Swiss rules. The only change is that you can now decide you no longer wish us to treat you as a qualified investor; this is known as “opting out.”

If, having considered what you expect from your ePrivate Banking Account and any other relevant circumstances, you decide to opt out, please send a signed declaration to this effect to: Swissquote Bank Ltd, Central Data, Chemin de la Crétaux 33, PO Box 319, CH-1196 Gland.

You will appreciate that, should you decide to opt out, we will be obliged to remove funds not authorised for distribution in Switzerland from the investment universe within your ePrivate Banking Account. Please note that reducing the investment universe may of course have an impact on performance.

I don’t want to derail the thread - just thought that it can be interesting piece of information for people considering their offer for keeping cash. I just hope that based on this information tax authorities won’t treat me as professional investor…

I’m not a lawyer, but I think there are two distinct things

As far as I’m aware they are independent of each other.

4 Likes

I’m rather surprised that it’s been almost five hours and nobody jumped on the…

…“yes, I want to be a qualified investor! (for access to foreign funds)” train yet.