Swissquote, Degiro or IB

I’d say our attention spawn is the product being sold (to advertising companies). I see your point and, yes, there are free things that are realized as an attempt to gain something else than money and carry us forward. I’m very grateful for that.

I can recommend the documentary “Social dilemma” on Netflix. Explains nicely how and why the social media industry functions.

2 Likes

US big bank have a better leverage than any EU big banks yet…

If the shares are held in your name, does it matter if the broker/bank is bankrupt ?

1 Like

Normally not
Your shares at your name like papers you have but all is virtual now not know what happen really and how you can retrieve your virtual shares. Should contact everyone for move their shares to another broker or most probably another broker buy all and just a rename :slight_smile:

not everything you read on the internet is also the truth

It’s true but most probably true a bank generate money that doesn’t exist if the company/people not pay back this money is really lost. Only interest stay when you reimburse a debt because virtual money is just deleted.
After who can insure a bank ? Only another bank or a country if this country is already full of debt and another banks have issue too continue to print indefinitely ?

UBS made multiple (I use now the german term) AGs out of its AG. In case of a TBTF emergency only the UBS Switzerland AG needs to be saved by the government and no longer the complete UBS like in 07/08.

It’s true than CS split UBS not remember but ok so for you nothing happen if one part or the other have big issue like bankrupt ?

So why do you even invest money in the stock market?
Most of my money is out of the stock market actually and I just wait the right opportunity may be all is wrong but I’m mostly out and I wait. I’m in the learning side so I observe a lot of what happen. Be in the stock market during month of March was a bad idea and not want to try that again :slight_smile:
Since May I know this virus will come back like in March but take much more time than planned but it’s here now and winter isn’t the good season for eliminate quickly this issue. Sorry but yes I write very negative fact but not view any positive news actually even China have some issue but they are a lot of more positive news there than US/EU. I not like ETF so I use stock picking and can’t say now for sure what company will growth these next years almost all companies drop during march and can happen again soon or later so I prefer wait if I’m wrong just lost some percents but retrieve that during the next 10 years and if it’s right not have to lost -30% or more again so not take so much risks yet.

Banks need cash during crisis and a lot of companies survive due to country lending. It’s a leverage and if too much not reimburse this leverage bank need to reimbursed with money they don’t have.

Some people share their experience for free like you :wink: and offer free content to attract you with quality content for pay the hidden content by example. I’ve spent a lot of time but yet not view anything positive even if stock market continue to growth. 2000 was a growing market too before a rather sharp fall. This crisis is really big touch almost all… central bank never print so many money and really hard to find a company not impacted by that and even these companies can drop due to panic. CHF money is my short term best way with mining and when I choose the right moment take a leverage from a bank and play during these next years :wink:

I learn last year and this year that I haven’t been patient enough so now I take more time. This end of year or next year can be very interesting. We earn money with opportunities March was a big if you was prepared. I read before drop of March due to huge drop without reason of one of my stock because a edge found switch to biotechnology… some weeks after I have understand why :slight_smile:

If you really want to discuss that with me, you need to inform yourself better.

A state? Try to open a bank tomorrow and tell me if you succeeded to get a license.

That is okey, not everyone has to use ETFs as investment vehicles.

That is okey, but that is not what the majority in here does.

In general: It was extremely difficult for me to understand, what you wanted to say. Maybe just write in German next time if that is easier for you.

@_MP: it seems like this is quite a discussion for a long time already and still is. Are you planning to do another blog about it? I liked your blog about which broker to choose as a swiss citizen, but it lacked a bit these considerations discussed here, especially about safety issues. I for sure would love another blog about it, as choosing a broker is one of THE big steps you have to make when starting to invest.

Best greetings
CoffeeMonkey

I agree it would be great, on top of that there is a new challenger, FlowBank, it would be interesting to compare this new bank

2 Likes

It’s coming in 2021 :wink:

3 Likes

after reading all the comments i feel even more insecure where to make my Account

1 Like

Honestly, if the choice of a broker is the only thing preventing you from starting to invest, then just go with one. Chances are that you will be fine with whatever you chose. And if you would like to move from one to the other, that will be possible for a reasonable amount of fees.

6 Likes

I’ll make your choice easy: avoid Swissquote, much to expensive for a real mustachian, then if you start with less than 100k CHF to invest go for DEGIRO if you have right now >100k to invest go for IB. As simple as that, ignore the noise. Just do it!

1 Like

thanks i don’t have not even near 100K. Thanks

Then that’s dead easy, DEGIRO will it be. You’re also lucky because DEGIRO has a few ETFs which are free of charge in case your respect their conditions. See this PDF for more details:

For example popular ETFs such as Vanguard’s VUSA or VWRL are listed there. Enjoy!

1 Like

well i just registered at degiro and doing the identification but he seems to have a problem asking me for my DNI Number which i don’t have. I was born in switzerland but i’m spanish. Will check that out Monday since i don’t get why they asking this

Thanks for that PDF

by the way ever heard of this here?

This is a guy commenting on another Blog claiming the following. Almost the Last few Comments.

BlogPost The Poor Swiss

Degiro is a fraud. They started cleaning up their database from “passive” customers by demanding all sorts of private documents that go far beyond the usual financial audit and giving the deadlines that are very tight. Even for customers who used their platform for 5 years, while they made a lot of money on all the fees.
Furthermore when asked to transfer my portfolio to another broker account, since their demands were simply ridiculous, they asked for several hundreds of Euros for that service. And even then, they didn’t transfer it. Instead the liquidated all my positions even though some the positions were negative and I explicitly warned them to avoid this from happening.
This can happen to you as well at any moment.
They also have one of the worst customer service I ever experienced and the worst data privacy standards. I am not even sure they are within the legal boundaries.
I will start a lawsuit against them as well as write complaint to all European financial regulators.
And last but not least, to all Swiss customers I would like to warn additionally. You are in the “high risk” group by default. Stay away from these “cheap” prices. In the end you will pay a higher price.

I’m been suffering of things like that for more than 20 years…

If you say you are Spanish, they think that everybody has a DNI. And is quasi true… If you don’t live in Spain you don’t need to have a DNI. Even more, if you go to the consulate, they can deliver, renew your passport but not your DNI. The DNI depends of the police and the “ministerio del interior”… You must go to Spain physically for having a DNI.

But they have a list with “Spanish → DNI”.

Just tell them that you are fiscally resident is Switzerland and give them your AVS number for the taxes. I had the same problem with IB and took me several mails and calls.

makes perfectly sense what you say. i get in touch with them. I never had no DNI because except for Holiday i was never a resident of Spain even being Spanish.

I find it funny that none of them Reviews about Brokers mention this stupid procedure

There is another side to the story. Virtually guaranteed.
The comments scream and reek of it.

“I will start a lawsuit against them as well as write complaint to all European financial regulators.”

Yeah, I’m curious about their reply will be. The people who really do start a lawsuit or complain to regulators are mostly not brash but unspecified claims online.

Shouldn’t be an issue anymore though, if you register as a new customer being resident in Switzerland. Went smoothly for me.

If you’re investing cross-border with a foreign broker - or even just holding a bank account - you should be prepared for such things every once in a while. And sometimes you have to do your own homework and arguing with them - since you can’t assume they always know what you’re doing.

For example, a bank was overzealous in asking me to provide my Swiss TIN for CRS reporting - before Switzerland had legislation in force to define (usage of AHV/AVS number as) a TIN for reporting of individuals. The bank even “helpfully” suggested what it my number was supposed to look like - but… I’m not a legal person or incorporated.

Though to their credit, they did accept my reply, when I clearly laid it down for them (and the use of AHV/AVS no. came into force soon after). But I have little doubts they would have taken steps to close my account otherwise for being uncooperative.

Nope never heard of that but probably every company on earth has their own stories of customers who are totally pissed off against a company for one or another reason. It could be legitimate or not… the problem for us hearing only one side of the story, we will never know who was right in and maybe even both sides were at fault. So this is just additional noise… and I mentioned to ignore the noise.

1 Like