Swissquote, Degiro or IB

ESISUISSE can’t reimburse if any problem happen. Found haven’t enough money if really people want retrieve their 100k from bankruptcy it’s why we pay UBS during mortgage crisis. And this years UBS/CS want go together because all have too much leverage and want to be bigger for be saved if anything goes wrong :slight_smile:

All other reasons OK if you speak german else it’s always the same than other language and even can’t defend yourself in any cases you need someone to speak for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diversification not put all on the same broker :slight_smile:

Put a little on IB, a little on Degiro and a little on Swissquote, crypto on hardware wallet keep in your side and not only one but multiple wallets.

Physical asset hidden where you want and like that you have enough diversification for retrieve something what ever can happen :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s a very good decision but combined with high cost, isn’t it? So you pay $10 per month on IB and additionally CHF 15.- per quarter on Swissquote?

Why not 90chf/year on PF? If you make 5-6 movements per year it should cost you less than SQ.

1 Like

ESISUISSE can as long as it isnt something systematical concerning multiple (now tbtf) banks.

That is what I would call something systematical that does concern the financial stability in Switzerland. You are mixing up different things and a lot changed since 07/08.

Because PF probably rises as soon as they have enough clients their costs or SQ does it :wink: . If you have time inform yourself about PF and their restrictions as special bank

I used PF many years ago for a business account and was very unsatisfied. Even though this can be better now and the use case is another one, I am not willing to work with PF.

If SQ would not have these “high” quarterly fees (especially if the amount invested is < 60k), I would act like Pedro and simply use different broker to diversify. But it seems that I am not the only one who wants to stay with Swissquote for safety reasons. Maybe the way to go would be to invest a big part of the capital on Swissquote (to lower the quarterly fee per CHF invested) but to use Degiro as an addition for smaller investments.

I prefer to spread the risk and not keep all eggs in one basket, so it‘s mainly these three:

• VIAC for pillar 3a, in Switzerland
  • IBKR (UK/US), I‘ll try to only barely stay over the 100k threshold for a waiver of monthly fees
  • Leading state-owned bank in an EU member state, one of the „safest banks in the world“.

And yes, for the last, I do pay monthly upkeep for my securities account. I have been a very happy (non-resident) customer for years with this bank however, and am very happy with them overall.

I‘ve said it a couple of times in different threads on this forum: These are one-time fees and charges, which shouldn‘t matter much over the longer term, if you‘re pursuing a buy&hold strategy and not doing regular or heavy trading. As such, I wouldn’t worry about them too much.

1 Like

All banks are linked EU, CH even may be US with EU.
It’s why UBS CH bank fall when there is an US crisis.

All are together insured I’m not from this world but it’s what I have read about this bank insurance/security. I prefer not have 100k in one bank than try this insurance if happen. Like I just not like insurance. When you need to pay fee it’s ok when they should reimburse you that can be really tricky. So I prefer not trust them and use my own insurance fund :slight_smile:
If reimburse me it’s good else I have my own insurance who reimburse me always and use the same for bank never put more than withdraw limit and split money between all banks reachable from your location with free deposit account. Give you a lot of paper but it’s a free insurance because you can retrieve always 1-5k but may be not more.

Today the cloud are pretty dark on EU bank and some CH bank like CS/UBS not know state of other CH banks. Something can happen in 2021 or later with banks no one know so try to not trust 100k warranty just look what happen in Greece. US big bank have a better leverage than any EU big banks yet…

@Vanessa Degiro is just free so cost you nothing if you use or not. IB cost nothing if you have 100k to invest else yes it’s 10$ per month and Swissquote is pretty expensive cost more than the two other brokers. Choose SQ/Degiro or IB/Degiro like that you have two already and you can test for look how these works :slight_smile:

I use Degiro since more than 1 year it’s really cheap without hidden cost but it’s a cheap broker due to limited stock available around the world and high fee on HK/CA/… exchange almost no leverage available on US stock and can’t do all what you want when you need more settings but it’s just work. I transfer 40/50k and retrieve them without any issue and their fee are just a big joke when you compare with Swiss broker :slight_smile:

1 Like

And that is part of the problem… not everything you read on the internet is also the truth.

That is okey. You dont have to like insurances, but that is how our system works. Up to a certain point you can avoid having insurances but, there are also mandatory insurances for risks our government wants you to be insured against but enough about insurances :wink:

One point a lot of doomsday prophets dont get is that we have, in contrary to the US/UK, a bank based system here in Europe. Your savings are bundled with other clients savings and given to enterprises as credits by the bank. Meaning you dont get around banks in our system, because the state doesnt want to do those kind of businesses and a capital market system like in the US/UK have other kind of risks.

I assume that is again something you read somewhere… As I told you in an earlier comment, a lot changed since 07/08. F.e. UBS made multiple (I use now the german term) AGs out of its AG. In case of a TBTF emergency only the UBS Switzerland AG needs to be saved by the government and no longer the complete UBS like in 07/08. For further details and measures consult the FINMA homepage.

There are people predicting crashes since 09/10 and we had a bull market the last ten years… So why do you even invest money in the stock market? If something “happens” to the major banks, we have a similar situation to the sub prime crisis (07/08) and probably the whole capital market crashes again…

I wouldnt dare to compare Switzerland to Greece :smile:

That point is correct. Banks have a high leverage and for some tastes too low equity, but I wouldnt agree with Anat Admati that they need 20% Equity like private investors buying real estate.

@Pedro One thing I learned early in my few years of life experience is, that there is no free lunch in this life. If something is free, take a closer look and ask why someone would offer you something for free and think hard about it.

3 Likes

Could you please elaborate on that?

To my (admittedly limited) knowledge we, just like the US or the UK, have a credit-based system where corporate banks create loans and refinance themselves in a system backed by a central bank, be it the Swiss National Bank or the US Fed.

There’s this great quote that “if you’re not paying for it, you’re the product being sold.” That tends to apply to many situations in our current life…

3 Likes

I can but I wont go too much into detail, because it is much more complicated than I will explain it and I am far from being an expert in this field :wink:

F.e. in the US/UK if you are a company of a certain size you go dependent on the amount you need to one or multiple investment banks and let them handle the issuance of the bond (primary market). Those banks can keep the bond or put it in the secondary market where investors have access to buy and sell it. In a capital market system this is the more common way to get a loan as a company.

In a bank based system on the other hand you go to your bank and get a loan from your bank that isnt tradable in the secondary market, as long as your bank doesnt bundle it in their SPV with other loans and sells it.

In a capital market based system you have enormous problems with moral hazard (compare it with 07/08 sub prime mortgage trades) because you can resell your loan and dont have to care about monitoring and auditing (those arent by far all the differences) :smile:

Yes this would be another aspect, but what you mentioned is more where the bank gets the money from and not how the company gets the money.

2 Likes

Correct, some people just dont care enough about or somehow still dont get it.

1 Like

@Neville Keep in mind that a bank is much more complex than a regular company and has many different functions. As i mentioned before there are many more aspects and it can get really fast very complex. If you are interested in that topic just google around you will find very fast good vids or papers.

Partially correct. You can still pay and be the product being sold.

But we digress.

1 Like

That’s one of the quote I hate the most, there’s so many cases where you have transactions that benefits both parties… without talking about non-profits/altruism.

1 Like

I am sure you want to share one of those many cases with us :slight_smile:

I’ve first discovered it as a reference to Facebook, with two little piggies discussing how awesome life on the barn was, free and everything. I’m not pretending it applies to every situation but I like to use it as a reminder that it’s good for me to understand a company’s business model before entering in a transaction with them, even if it appears to be free (which was the initial context put forward by @Tea). I wouldn’t try to apply it outside of the situation of a commercial transaction with a for profit business - in which case, I find it cautionary to at least think about it before clicking the “let’s do it!” button.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s the main issue. Some people used it with FB (where it might apply, depending on how “you’re the product” is defined) and then somehow make it rule.

Sure, for the record I do think there’s some truth to the expression, but it intentionally makes some emotional appeal to make people react in certain ways and feel like they’re being misled or the transaction is one sided. The “you’re the product” also elicit to me some kind of privacy violation (I’m not a native speaker so I might be wrong), while there are a lot of cases where that’s definitely not the case.

So, some example of transactions that you didn’t pay for monetarily (but surely the counter party had some benefit):

• openstreemap, wikipedia or other ad free website (counter party is compensated by increased viewership, can be ego, can be boost to contributors, etc.)
  • free/open source software (similar to above in most cases, sometimes different counterparty e.g. firefox is more complex but vlc isn’t)
  • free to play, ad-free games (often access, in the hope that some player will spend in game money)
  • reading a free newspaper, eg. 20 minutes (compensated by attention / access, but “you” are not being sold – just the generic version of some people viewing some ads)
  • public toilets, when they’re free (compensated by keeping streets clean)
  • gifts from relatives, as well as many human-human transaction (compensated by increasing bond / happiness for the giver, sometimes expectation of reciprocity)
  • public libraries
  • in most airport, airtrains/shuttles between terminals

Maybe the quote should be, if you’re not paying for it with money, the counterparty still benefits in other way :slight_smile:

But even for facebook, “the product being sold” kinda implies that your data is being sold to someone else (than fb), which is (mostly) not true. FB keeps the data and does the matchmaking between your attention and interests and advertizers interests (which is way more lucrative for them than selling the data)

2 Likes