Swiss life hacks list

Can you tell a bit more about this? Or share a link to where it is described?
Sounds a bit too good, you only earn the dividends as interest, does the price not fluctuate?

1 Like

They have in theory no obligation to buy them back at the price. At least in the status of my local Raiffeisen. I wouldn’t use them as an emergency fund. Btw how much shares can you buy at yours? I could only buy 6 for 1200 chf in total.

1 Like

Hello,
Yes of course. Raiffeisen Suisse is composed by different local Raiffeisen banks (exemple: Lausanne, Versoix, Gros-de-Vaud, etc. etc). To become a member of one of them (that meens buy at least one share), you have to either live or work in the area of the bank. Some banks (Lausanne does), ask that you have your salary paid in their bank before being able to buy your first share. Some (region Broye) ask that you also have 10’000 on a saving account. Some accept that you sell and rebuy at ease, some (Versoix) refuse to sell again if you sold them once. Went once from counter to counter to have thoses informations. I don’t know if you can speak of shares
 in french it is called “parts sociales”.

• The maximum shares you can have in one bank is 50 (one share is 200 CHF, that means 10’000 CHF). Thanks REandSTOCK, didn’t know that the maximum amount can be different than 10’000.

• Having one or more share offers you zero fee for both checking and saving accounts.

• The dividends differ from bank to bank and are reevaluated by the bank and voted (accepted) by the share holders each year at the general meeting (never went, would like to go see once).

• The dividends are paid on your checking or saving account in may each years.

• When you moove in an other area, some accept that you keep your shares.

• The risk is that the local bank goes bankrupt. They reserve the right to refuse that you sell your shares if they are in critic financial situation. Nowadays, you can sell whenever you want (going to the counter or letter) but they can change it and ask for a three month notice again if situation evolves for the worth.

https://www.raiffeisen.ch/de-la-versoix/fr/clients-prives/societaires/comment-devenir-societaire/abc-de-la-societariat.html

Hope it helps,
Regards,
Paul

2 Likes

Mobile internet: I use lycamobile bit digital republic seems to have a very interesting flat rate starting at 4.-/month for IoT internet and 10 for let’s say Car internet

I know that some websites (I am thinking airlines) show you different prices depending on your locations. But I guess one would need to spend time finding which location gave you the cheapest price, if any. Not sure it’s worth paying for the VPN subscription, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

1 Like

Had similar experiences. Ordered some reading glasses. They internet address routes you of course to your country > Switzerland. As I do have also a delivery address in Germany. So I went to the German site and checked the prices. They same as on the Swiss site, but just in € with delivery to Germany. So I then used a VPN and checked again and of course the prices were much cheaper with free of charge delivery service. I do use NordVPN, there are many Youtubers who offer some affiliation codes and at the end it cost me like $80 for 3 years. Same situation with business shoes or business shirts you order from the UK site directly - prices are many times different than on the international sites and usually local you get better promotions codes.

If you pay with revolut or transferwise via www.gotogate.com instead of ch.gotogate.com you save around 5%.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Hopw does gotogate compare vs skyscanner?

You can buy the tickets at gotogate while skyscanner only redirects you to sites where you can buy them.

No one uses kayak for booking and searching flights? The aggregation of metasearch and booking site is very annoying.

If you need a really cheap VPN with a fixed exit, check lowendspirit.com (spoiler alert:you must install it yourself, but on the forum they have loads of help)

2 Likes

If you want to have something else than your home cooked food, you can use Too Good To Go to get stuff often for about a third of the regular price.

Looking forward to pick up some sushi soon :drooling_face:

7 Likes

Did anyone else try TooGoodToGo? I installed it some weeks ago and all what I see is “Magic Bags”. Call me cynical, but it sounds like a “random bag” where the shop throw anything available at the moment.
I thought it was more transparent on what they offer. I’ve seen a hotel chain offering a box for 9 chf, probably they fill it with the stuff they sell for 8 chf

We tried it in our village at the local bakery. It was a really good selection of pastry and bread for a third of the price.

We also tried it in a small coffee shop and it was a bit more disappointing with little value (but still worth it).

The problem is that we live in a small villag, restaurants are not doing that. And we almost never go out, so it won’t save us a lot of money. But I really like the idea.

3 Likes

Yes, tried it a few times (but always at the same one place, bakery on the corner). Experienced good quality and value at this one place.
There’s ratings for each place & so it may be advisable to check that where u are choosing to buy is rated above 3 or so. Although everyone has personal preference so maybe just try places at least once & make up your own mind. It’s not like you’re wasting much money (Fr6-7) if a place gives you a disappointing magic bag, even disappointing will be worth a few Franklis after all.
PS yes, it is a bag of random leftover bread, sandwiches & pastries, but made that day (i.e. fresh) & to the value of > Fr 21 for Fr 7. So if you very picky, allergic etc you might not end up with something you like, if flexible = all good.

2 Likes

That’s the point, they can’t predict what will be left (otherwise they wouldn’t have them).

2 Likes

I was expecting something different, at least for shops.

I agree with the others, I’ve had great experiences from TooGoodToGo at the places I’ve tried. I’ve always found the value to be >= 3x what I paid.
The only downside is that you can’t specify dietary restrictions, so for example if you’re vegetarian there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to eat what’s in the bag.

Actually there is a filter for Vegan/Vegetarians.

Ah i just saw it now. The filter seems to show only stores that serve fully vegetarian / vegan baskets, but wouldn’t work if you’d want to request vegetarian food in a place that serves both.

1 Like